From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On Behalf Of kentonmscott@...
Sent: Thursday, 4 November 2021 3:00 AM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
Subject: [Band-In-A-Box] XML saves #BiaB2021

I'm not having much success with saving songs to XML.

I've taken a song and made adjustments to it in BnB and am satisfied with the result.  But, after I save it as a XML, when I open it in Dorico, it gives me about 12 measures of the song, and from there to the end it only shows chord symbols.

OK, with some further experimenting, I find that other songs will save - sort of - completely.  But, it translates several choruses into a repeat.  And, it will not save the soloist track.

Is there some way to make the XML file reflect what the BnB file plays?  For someone like me who would use BnB as a jumping off point for making an arrangement in Dorico, although, I've owned BnB for a lot of years, I don't make much use of it because I can't get an effective way to migrate from BnB to other music software.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Kenton

David H. Bailey

Dorico can't "read" mp3 files -- it's a notation program.

David H. Bailey

I convert my “arrangement “ in to an MP3 file which several other apps can read and they play as I have recorder them

On 11/3/2021 9:59 AM, kentonmscott@gmail.com wrote:
I'm not having much success with saving songs to XML.
I've taken a song and made adjustments to it in BnB and am satisfied with the result.  But, after I save it as a XML, when I open it in Dorico, it gives me about 12 measures of the song, and from there to the end it only shows chord symbols.
OK, with some further experimenting, I find that other songs will save - sort of - completely.  But, it translates several choruses into a repeat.  And, it will not save the soloist track.
Is there some way to make the XML file reflect what the BnB file plays? For someone like me who would use BnB as a jumping off point for making an arrangement in Dorico, although, I've owned BnB for a lot of years, I don't make much use of it because I can't get an effective way to migrate from BnB to other music software.
[snip]

There are several possible problems causing the results you get.

Do you have another notation program you can try importing the XML file into to see if the problem is with BIAB's "Save as XML" routine or with Dorico's import of XML ability? You can install the totally free MuseScore (be sure to get version 3) and see if that will import the XML file properly. If it does, then try to export as XML from MuseScore and see if Dorico can open up that version better. I suggest you do this as a next step to see where the problem really lies.

You might try asking on the Steinberg forum for Dorico to see if others have run into that problem. Daniel Spreadbury and the other Steinberg/Dorico representatives who respond to questions on that forum are very helpful and might suggest ways to resolve the problem.

Good luck -- please keep us posted if you learn anything new because you're not the only person in this group who had Dorico. I have it but have never done much with it, finding it hard to wrap my head around the work-flow. I'm fairly permanently stuck in Sibelius for my notation needs.

Kenton Scott

David's reply was some time ago.  But, his thoughts were right on, so I wanted to get back on and confirm.

I tried opening the XML with Musecore, and it did indeed have the whole piece there.  So, I made a MusicXML from Musescore and then opened it in Dorico, and the whole song was there.  So, I think it is the case that Dorico's ability to interpret BmB's version of XML is limited.  BTW, I have no trouble with Sibelius generated XMLs.  So, a path through Musescore does seem to be the fix at the moment.  Dorico is planning an update in the first of the New Year, so maybe they have addressed it, I don't know.

It also took me a while to get weaned off of Sibelius, but now that I have, I would never go back.

Thanks

Kenton

On 11/18/2021 10:03 AM, Kenton Scott wrote:
David's reply was some time ago.  But, his thoughts were right on, so I wanted to get back on and confirm.
I tried opening the XML with Musecore, and it did indeed have the whole piece there.  So, I made a MusicXML from Musescore and then opened it in Dorico, and the whole song was there.  So, I think it is the case that Dorico's ability to interpret BmB's version of XML is limited.  BTW, I have no trouble with Sibelius generated XMLs.  So, a path through Musescore does seem to be the fix at the moment.  Dorico is planning an update in the first of the New Year, so maybe they have addressed it, I don't know.
[snip]

Thanks for letting us know that your problem was solved -- I'm glad it was as easy as it was! And if Dorico does update in the early New Year, please keep us posted about what is new and improved about it!