Using VirtualMidiSynth and HQ Orchestral Soundfont [was: TTS-1 Synthesizer and BIAB - Here's where I ...]

David H. Bailey

Thanks for that tip! That soundfont is excellent, but people need to know that it's fairly large and the download is in SfArk compressed format so the program SfArk is necessary to decompress it so it can be used in VirtualMidiSynth program.

And when you install VirtualMidiSynth you can choose to have it run at startup so it will always be available when you want to run BIAB. If you choose not to have it run at startup, you will need to start it manually before starting BIAB the first time you want to use VirtualMidiSynth. But after that, VirtualMidiSynth will start automatically when BIAB starts as long as you've chosen that in BIAB for the midi output.

The soundquality using that soundfont is exceptionally good and there is no latency!

Thank you for sharing that reminder and providing those links for us, Henni!

David H. Bailey

On 3/15/2021 4:05 AM, buildtofly via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I've found a good midi soundfont & player that's extremely easy to install and works flawlessly in BIAB:
HQ Orchestral Soundfont Collection v3.0.sf2
https://musescore.com/groups/young-composers-group/discuss/172224 <https://musescore.com/groups/young-composers-group/discuss/172224>
CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth_2.11.0
https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth <https://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth>
All the best,
Henni

buildtofly@...

I've found an even better midi soundfont:

Henni

Roy Collingwood

so, I've downloaded it, how do I se it?

Roy

A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining,
and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
Come visit me:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDLojqzxVRIZufWAbc9cVrg?view_as=subscriber
www.roycollingwood.co.uk

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 04:06, buildtofly via groups.io
<buildtofly=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I've found an even better midi soundfont:

OmegaGMGS2.sf2

Henni

buildtofly@...

Just delete the other soundfont from VirtualMidiSynth, then browse in this one. That's all. O yes, you must choose VirtualMidiSynth as your Midi output device on BIAB, but that's all. I had to set my Latency to around 400 for it to work correct, but now all is fine.

Henni

Roy Collingwood

Thanks, I'll try later.

Roy

Seeing how some people wear their masks, I know understand how contraceptives fail!

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021, 09:39 buildtofly via groups.io, <buildtofly=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just delete the other soundfont from VirtualMidiSynth, then browse in this one. That's all. O yes, you must choose VirtualMidiSynth as your Midi output device on BIAB, but that's all. I had to set my Latency to around 400 for it to work correct, but now all is fine.

Henni

Arthur Trinchera

Yes! very nice. I have one called chaos which is good too. I use synthfont to listen to all the soundfonts on the same piece.
The last one you shared is really good too.
I'm having a hard time getting biab to use sf2 and vst especially. Not intuitive at all.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 9:06 PM buildtofly via groups.io <buildtofly=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've found an even better midi soundfont:

Henni

Nancy P

Watch out for the malware!

Hayward Martin

If you're getting it from. Coolsoft,. It's probably ok. It can give false positives.  Check out the notes on their website.