From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> on behalf of Arthur Trinchera <a.trinchera@...>
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2021 5:35:44 PM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io>
Subject: [Band-In-A-Box] Use of biab song files

Hello,
I just read the text note regarding the use of any of the biab mgu files for anything other than personal use.
I'm guessing I might get bombed for this question but does that mean absolutely no making backing tracks for performance?
Or is that trying to distribute the files an any way shape or form? I mean it seems pretty clear but I thought I'd ask.
Finding the jazz songs in alphabetical order made my day but....
Bombs away!
Arthur

David H. Bailey

On 8/23/2021 5:35 PM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:
Hello,
I just read the text note regarding the use of any of the biab mgu files for anything other than personal use.
I'm guessing I might get bombed for this question but does that mean absolutely no making backing tracks for performance?
Or is that trying to *distribute* the files an any way shape or form? I mean it seems pretty clear but I thought I'd ask.
Finding the jazz songs in alphabetical order made my day but....
Bombs away!
[snip]

Chord progressions, for the most part, can't be copyrighted.

Melodies are copyrighted. :Lyrics are copyrighted. That is why the message that the .mgu files are for personal use only and not for any other use.

But you are perfectly free to use any backing tracks you want, either that you download or that you create, while you perform the melody in person. Performing copyrighted material entails a different set of copyrights from sharing copyrighted material like the .mgu files. Most places where you are likely to perform to the backing tracks already pay BMI/ASCAP blanket licenses which cover any performances.

If you happen to like the way any of the .mgu files are created and want to play along with them, simply delete the melody file and save it as a .sgu file and you'll be able to use it in public.

PGMusic does not claim any copyright on the backing tracks which you create (at least using midi styles -- I don't know what their policy is with regards to the real styles if you wish to make a record, but at least for performing with them, PGMusic lays no claims).

etcjoe

The standing answer from PG music is they would like mention in credits but even with real tracks, any song you create Is yours to do with as you please. Of course you can ask them on your own or read the material at the pg music website that discusses this topic.. I believe it is in the FAQ.