Translation requested !

IAN GRAHAM

Hallo, group

Not a BIAB question as such, but I hope one of the more technically-minded here may be able to help me.

I'm trying to send a message my Roland A500Pro to my SD2 module. My understanding is that I can do this as a simple CC code, or as a sysex message.

The SD2 manual has the following information line for the variation I'd like to effect:

NRPN 0163H BnH 63H 01H 62H 63H 06H vv Env. attack time modify (vv=40H no modify)

If anyone can help me reduce that to either form, I would be VERY grateful !

Many thanks, if so !

Sincerely

Ian G

Wales UK

Geoff Barnard

Hello,

I hope this will help.

This is a fairly standard midi thing, but it's using a NRPN which is a Non Registered Parameter Number which is an instruction that is peculiar to a specific Mfg/Device.

It translates as three separate Control Change instructions, which much follow in order. The three seem to be using Running Status, so the original/first byte is not repeated, but is assumed for the following two instructions, but if your software requires they could be added.

Any bytes in Parenthesis are optional depending on the use of Running Status.

BnH where n is the Channel number (0 to F)
63h for NRPN MSB (Most Significant Byte)
01h data - i.e. the first part of the value 0163h
(Bnh) Next part of the Controller)
62h for NRPN LSB (least significant byte)
63h data - the second half of the value 0163h
(Bnh) next part of Controller
06h Data Entry Controller.
vv this is the actual data you wish, 40h will be the middle/default setting of a range 0 to 7F

So, you are delivering 3 data bytes to effect the change you require, the rest are midi packaging.
I assume there are other options to the 0163h that might affect other settings of the device, but these
would operate in the same way.

Geoff

On 01/03/2021 05:06, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
Hallo, group
Not a BIAB question as such, but I hope one of the more
technically-minded here may be able to help me.
I'm trying to send a message my Roland A500Pro to my SD2 module. My
understanding is that I can do this as a simple CC code, or as a sysex
message.
The SD2 manual has the following information line for the variation
I'd like to effect:
NRPN 0163H BnH 63H 01H 62H 63H 06H vv Env. attack time modify (vv=40H no modify)
If anyone can help me reduce that to either form, I would be VERY grateful !
Many thanks, if so !
Sincerely
Ian G
Wales UK

IAN GRAHAM

Geoff

I really appreciate this. Thank you.

One of several things that was confusing me was the sometimes
double-digit bits eg Bn - I didn't see how that could be hex.

So is the 163 actually  (looked at another way) a Control Code ? That
would be the other way (and probably the simpler way TBH) to assign a
controller on the A500Pro.

Many thanks, again.

Sincerely

Ian G.

Wales UK

On 03/03/2021 16:26, Geoff Barnard wrote:
[...]

I don't know about that.

Specifically, the 163h is data. It is delivered as two bytes (a CC normally has data of 1 byte) and the data (163h) will trigger something (a process) within the receiving device. This process then needs an extra byte, i.e. the vv item, to complete the change.

Alternatively, the 163h might be a memory address in some RAM in the device, and the purpose of the whole thing is to change the data in that address. So the first part selects the address to change, and the last bit provides the data to go into that address. Address 162h might be something totally different!!

The clarity of the code is not helped by the fact (just a coincidence, I'm sure) that one of the 63h bytes relates to one thing (the midi code for the Controller) and another 63h relates to something totally different (i.e. part of the data being transported).

Geoff

On 03/03/2021 17:00, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
[...]

OK. A couple of things you've said in your answers 'ring true' to me
about the device in question, the Ketron SD2: as a straightforward GM
(+) sound module, it merits the praise it generally gets on this forum.
But it is a strange beast. It can, in fact, do a number of other things
than simply be a GM sound source - if you can find the way to access
them! I suspect (from the configuration of the banks) that in origin it
may well have been a rollout of capabilities from an earlier much larger
piece of hardware, maybe a keyboard. And the parent company are (let's
be tactful) lacking in vigour in providing background information and
direct support.

I appreciate your help, Geoff. Thanks again.

Ian G.