Transcribe mp3 file? #BiaBPrevious

sati@...

I am trying to transcribe an mp3 of my son's jazz performance to music notation.
I can import the mp3 into BIAB, but then what?   LoL.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial and what can be done with an imported mp3?

I see the chords on the chart and can listen to the imported audio.   Looks like the
chords are wrong though.   The first part of the song is Dmaj9 Fmaj9 Bb6 A7b13.
I don't know what key that is in, but BIAB says it's the key of F.

I have BIAB circa 2013 (although I am willing to upgrade if it will transcribe my files).

Arthur Trinchera

There are tutorials on YouTube and I believe it's under audio/audio cord wizard. You'll have to place the beats and disable style. I haven't had great luck with it. Unless the tunes are real simple and clear the chords aren't usually accurate. That's just my experience though. Biab tempo always counts in. Once you get the beats lined up biab should find the tempo but it can be tough to get the desired result. Maybe someone else has a better mastery of it. Let me know!
Arthur

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021, 2:21 PM <sati@...> wrote:
I am trying to transcribe an mp3 of my son's jazz performance to music notation.
I can import the mp3 into BIAB, but then what?   LoL.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial and what can be done with an imported mp3?

I see the chords on the chart and can listen to the imported audio.   Looks like the
chords are wrong though.   The first part of the song is Dmaj9 Fmaj9 Bb6 A7b13.
I don't know what key that is in, but BIAB says it's the key of F.

I have BIAB circa 2013 (although I am willing to upgrade if it will transcribe my files).

Leighton Cooper

There is another program called Decoda that is an alternative to Biab that works for inserting a file, having the program figures out the chords break it up into the various sections and allow you to equalize it so you can isolate the instrument you want to focus on.  One thing would test it.  Put in your favorite jazz pieces and see how  it tracks it.  you can also slow down the tempo and keep the pitch the same.  PG  Music has a program called copy me that does this, but I haven't compared these two programs.  Hope this helps.

On Sunday, April 4, 2021, 04:58:05 PM PDT, Arthur Trinchera <a.trinchera@...> wrote:

[...]

Roy Collingwood

I use riffstation for finding chords. It used to be free.
I have a free copy if if you want it.

Roy

A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining,
and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
Come visit me:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDLojqzxVRIZufWAbc9cVrg?view_as=subscriber
www.roycollingwood.co.uk

On Sun, Apr 4, 2021, 2:21 PM <sati@sti.net> wrote:

I am trying to transcribe an mp3 of my son's jazz performance to music notation.
I can import the mp3 into BIAB, but then what? LoL.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial and what can be done with an imported mp3?

I see the chords on the chart and can listen to the imported audio. Looks like the
chords are wrong though. The first part of the song is Dmaj9 Fmaj9 Bb6 A7b13.
I don't know what key that is in, but BIAB says it's the key of F.

I have BIAB circa 2013 (although I am willing to upgrade if it will transcribe my files).

David H. Bailey

Are you trying to just figure out the chords or do you want to have what your son played written out as notes? I don't think BIAB can transcribe a melodic line from an mp3 file into printed music.

There are other programs which purport to do that -- AudioScore is one. I don't know how well it works.

The problem with trying to analyze chords in an audio file is that quite often there are passing tones and other non-harmonic tones which the analysis program has no idea are not supposed to be analyzed. So it can figure out a vertical combination of sounds and tell you what chord those most likely shape up to be, but won't be entire accurate unless the audio file consists of only triads with no nonharmonic tones being played.

For example, the underlying chord might be a Cmajor triad, but the melody might include the following notes: G A Bb C. A chordal analysis could show those as: Cmaj, Am7/C, C7, Cmaj when in fact the printed original music might simply show it as a Cmajor chord with a melody on top. There's no way for an audio analysis program to know which are the important notes and which are the unimportant notes.

It'll be a long while before computers can hear a complex piece of music and be able to show all the different parts in notation.

David H. Bailey

On 4/4/2021 5:21 PM, sati@sti.net wrote:
I am trying to transcribe an mp3 of my son's jazz performance to music notation.
I can import the mp3 into BIAB, but then what?   LoL.
Can anyone point me to a tutorial and what can be done with an imported mp3?
I see the chords on the chart and can listen to the imported audio. Looks like the
chords are wrong though.   The first part of the song is Dmaj9 Fmaj9 Bb6 A7b13.
I don't know what key that is in, but BIAB says it's the key of F.
I have BIAB circa 2013 (although I am willing to upgrade if it will transcribe my files).

etcjoe

Yeah, there is probably a computer that can do it, properly programmed, but it is not sitting on anyone's desk! For all the reasons mentioned above. Music is still too complex for most software. Some can get close etc. but we are still a ways off from having a song analyzed by software and sheet music kicked out the other side. BIAB does a lot of great things but this is not one of them.

Arthur Trinchera

Correct! And I knew that about the melodies. Biab does make the claim that it will simply figure out the chords. It does the best it can. But as someone who has difficulty transcribing chords it's not really usable. I've tried it to try and recreate a song and play the melody myself with little luck and it doesn't do well with even 3/4 time. I also find it strange that biab doesn't really do 3/4 time.

On 4/4/2021 5:21 PM, sati@... wrote:
> I am trying to transcribe an mp3 of my son's jazz performance to music
> notation.
> I can import the mp3 into BIAB, but then what?   LoL.
>
> Can anyone point me to a tutorial and what can be done with an imported mp3?
>
> I see the chords on the chart and can listen to the imported audio.
> Looks like the
> chords are wrong though.   The first part of the song is Dmaj9 Fmaj9 Bb6
> A7b13.
> I don't know what key that is in, but BIAB says it's the key of F.
>
> I have BIAB circa 2013 (although I am willing to upgrade if it will
> transcribe my files).

Rejjie B