Topics

Styles and Macs

David Shannon <honking_dave@...>

Firstly, thx for all the songs people have uploaded
songs. Just amazing.

My qestion... I've tried loading the styles on my mac
[OS 9, Biab v8] but it sees them as PC files. Why
would it see the songs as Biab files and not the
styles and how could I make the styles work on my mac?

-Dave

=====
My on-line photo albums can be viewed at: http://uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/honking_dave

This address (honking_dave@...) is my web-based means of picking up home e-mails (dave_shannon@...) at work (david_shannon@...). All three work (so if you just hit 'reply' it doesn't matter) but home is best.

Greg Wilson <gvwilson@...>

I didn't subscribe to this list, would someone please take me off it?
(This is the fourth time I've asked.)

Firstly, thx for all the songs people have uploaded
songs. Just amazing.

My qestion... I've tried loading the styles on my mac
[OS 9, Biab v8] but it sees them as PC files. Why
would it see the songs as Biab files and not the
styles and how could I make the styles work on my mac?

-Dave

=====
My on-line photo albums can be viewed at: http://uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/honking_dave

This address (honking_dave@...) is my web-based means of picking up home e-mails (dave_shannon@...) at work (david_shannon@...). All three work (so if you just hit 'reply' it doesn't matter) but home is best.

Thanks,
Greg

Alisdair MacRae Birch <alisdair@...>

Greg

It's not possible to get on this list without subscribing. Therefore
somewhere on 2/12/2001 you or someone with access to your details
subscribed you. I have removed you as requested. Please check to see
if someone is masquerading as you with access to your details.

---alisdair

• This address (honking_dave@y...) is my web-based means of
picking up home e-mails (dave_shannon@l...) at work
(david_shannon@i...). All three work (so if you just hit 'reply' it

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>

At 12:09 PM 2/13/01 +0000, David Shannon <honking_dave@...> wrote:
My qestion... I've tried loading the styles on my mac
[OS 9, Biab v8] but it sees them as PC files. Why
would it see the songs as Biab files and not the
styles and how could I make the styles work on my mac?
Macs are funny animals (I own a Mac and a PC, so I can say that). Before
you can use a file on a Mac, it needs some "Header Information" on the file.

The header information tells the Mac OS which program is associated with
which file. In the 1980's this was a great idea and made the Mac easier to
use. Today, it is outdated and a minor pain and makes the Mac a little more
difficult to use. The PC and other followers use a different method (file
extensions). The Mac planners do not want to (or cannot) change their file
format to what has become the "standard-of-the-industry", so we are left
with this minor irritation.

In the old days of Apple File Exchange, you needed to use ResEdit or Norton
Utilities to get the header on the file. Now you can use PC Exchange. I am
using OS 7.1.6 and don't know if things have changed so I won't give you
step by step instructions.

But you do need to change the type and creator. Type should read STYL and
the creator should read BB40. Some versions of File Exchange let you choose
Band-in-a-Box instead of BB40.

The good news is that once you figure out how to set up PC Exchange for
these file types, you can forget it (I did) until you get a new computer,
they you will have to figure it out again.

Although I own a Mac, I am not a Mac guru (I prefer the PC) so perhaps
someone else in this group can explain it more thoroughly.

Bob "Notes" Norton
norton@...
http://www.nortonmusic.com