Topics

Stolen Moments

Steven

OK I'm trying to do something a little different here and I'm wondering ow to set it up

The song is Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson

The form is a'AABA

The a' section is a 4 measure the introduction (repeated twice)
The A sections are 16 measure melody (repeated twice)
The B sections are a 12 measure Cm blues where the improvisation takes place and this section has to repeat a variable number of times without a melody

The problem is A and B sections have a different chord patterns

Do I treat the A sections like an extended introduction

I can supply the Aebersold lead sheet if needed

Thanks
Steven

Gudrun Brunot

I would definitely treat the intro as a having 8 bars.

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@...

OK I'm trying to do something a little different here and I'm wondering ow to set it up

The song is Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson

The form is a'AABA

The a' section is a 4 measure the introduction (repeated twice)
The A sections are 16 measure melody (repeated twice)
The B sections are a 12 measure Cm blues where the improvisation takes place and this section has to repeat a variable number of times without a melody

The problem is A and B sections have a different chord patterns

Do I treat the A sections like an extended introduction

I can supply the Aebersold lead sheet if needed

Thanks
Steven

DENNIS

When I have this situation I chord

the whole song and have only one chorus

Dennis

OK I'm trying to do something a little different here and I'm wondering ow to set it up

The song is Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson

The form is a'AABA

The a' section is a 4 measure the introduction (repeated twice)
The A sections are 16 measure melody (repeated twice)
The B sections are a 12 measure Cm blues where the improvisation takes place and this section has to repeat a variable number of times without a melody

The problem is A and B sections have a different chord patterns

Do I treat the A sections like an extended introduction

I can supply the Aebersold lead sheet if needed

Thanks
Steven

Jim Mings

I agree with Dennis. The long form is the way to go Especially if you have a one page lead sheet already prepared. This method renders an exact model of the form you want without repeats. Fun,isn’t it?

MIngs

On Jun 17, 2020, at 11:59 PM, DENNIS <dennismarsh@...> wrote:

When I have this situation I chord

the whole song and have only one chorus

Dennis

OK I'm trying to do something a little different here and I'm wondering ow to set it up

The song is Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson

The form is a'AABA

The a' section is a 4 measure the introduction (repeated twice)
The A sections are 16 measure melody (repeated twice)
The B sections are a 12 measure Cm blues where the improvisation takes place and this section has to repeat a variable number of times without a melody

The problem is A and B sections have a different chord patterns

Do I treat the A sections like an extended introduction

I can supply the Aebersold lead sheet if needed

Thanks
Steven

David H. Bailey

On 6/18/2020 6:47 AM, Jim Mings wrote:
I agree with Dennis. The long form is the way to go Especially if you have a one page lead sheet already prepared. This method renders an exact model of the form you want without repeats. Fun,isn’t it?
An additional advantage of the long form for the lead-sheet is that you can then copy/paste whichever sections you want to solo over onto the end of the basic song form and can define the "chorus" to be whatever you wish with however many repeats you wish to have.