just how important is it for the speaker cables to be of the same length?
The speakers are five feet apart, the listener is seven feet away and the old Marantz sits on one of the speakers.  It takes an eight foot line to reach the far speaker so I would normally cut two eight foot speaker cords and stuff the extra line behind the near speaker.  But what if one speaker cord was eight feet and the other was only three feet?  Could that noticeably affect phasing or induce any other deleterious audio effect in that small area?

D F Tweedie

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021, 7:49:25 PM PDT, bb@... <bb@...> wrote:

I would appreciate some advice from somebody who knows the math,
just how important is it for the speaker cables to be of the same length?
The speakers are five feet apart, the listener is seven feet away and the old Marantz sits on one of the speakers.  It takes an eight foot line to reach the far speaker so I would normally cut two eight foot speaker cords and stuff the extra line behind the near speaker.  But what if one speaker cord was eight feet and the other was only three feet?  Could that noticeably affect phasing or induce any other deleterious audio effect in that small area?

drr

The difference in impedance between 8' and 3' speaker cables(of the same type/gauge) would be indistinguishable. If you get your wires crossed polarity wise you would get phase cancellation directly in front of the speakers. You can tell this as when you move to one side or the other the volume increases and when you go back to the center you would hear the level go down a bit. You can always do the blind test and see if you can hear any difference.

On 2021-05-12 23:13, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
Yes. It is important as it affects impedance.
Speaker Cables – What You Need To Know | Cambridge Audio
International [1]
SPEAKER CABLES – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW | CAMBRIDGE AUDIO
INTERNATIONAL
In a tangle over speaker cable jargon? Here we help you understand it
with some useful tips on buying your own.
bb@visualcommunications.net <bb@visualcommunications.net> wrote:
I would appreciate some advice from somebody who knows the math,
just how important is it for the speaker cables to be of the same
length?
The speakers are five feet apart, the listener is seven feet away and
the old Marantz sits on one of the speakers. It takes an eight foot
line to reach the far speaker so I would normally cut two eight foot
speaker cords and stuff the extra line behind the near speaker. But
what if one speaker cord was eight feet and the other was only three
feet? Could that noticeably affect phasing or induce any other
deleterious audio effect in that small area?
Links:
------
[1] https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/blog/speaker-cables
[2] https://Band-In-A-Box.groups.io/g/main/message/49823
[3] https://groups.io/mt/82790758/5823635
[4] https://Band-In-A-Box.groups.io/g/main/post
[5] https://Band-In-A-Box.groups.io/g/main/editsub/5823635
[6] https://Band-In-A-Box.groups.io/g/main/leave/9921725/5823635/772360467/xyzzy

Ed Horowitz

I play tons of weddings and live events and when I'm not using my bigger powered speakers, I usually use a powered mixer and two speakers spread out far apart.  If I'm using a 15 ft.16 gauge speaker wire cable on one side, and a 35 ft. 16 gauge speaker wire cable on the other, there is absolutely no discernible audio difference to mine or anyone's ears.(maybe if I used a meter of some kind to measure it, there would be, but in the 'live' audio world, no).
You're not mentioning the gauge of your speaker wire, but even if you're using  18 gauge (which is a bit 'thinner' than 16 gauge), you should be fine as even 18 gauge speaker wire is rated for 16 ft. for 4 ohms, and 32 ft. for 8 ohms.

Ed Horowitz
Any and All Kinds of Music...For Any and All Kinds of Occasions!
Wedding Musician / Strolling Musician
MC & DJ Services / Full PA and Lighting

954 600 3339
www.MyWeddingMusician.com

Dave Schroeder

Cable length will make no difference. Don't worry about it. (I've got 50 years of high end audio experience)