Topics

Setting up synths?

M. Steven Ginn <sginn@...>

I have a couple of quick questions ...

first, is there any way to add a new synth to the selection list? I am
interested in adding some of my own synths to use, such as the Proteus
2000 and the JV1010.

Is there a way to set up BIAB so that all rythm is handled by a
dedicated drum machine? I have the Boss DR-770. It would be nice if
BIAB could trigger a preset in the DR-770 according to the style chosen
in BIAB.

Thanks,

Steve Ginn

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>

At 11:43 AM 1/26/01 -0600, "M. Steven Ginn" wrote:
I have a couple of quick questions ...

first, is there any way to add a new synth to the selection list? ... [SNIP]

In the PC version go to "Opt." in the menu bar

When the drop down menu appears, click on either:
Make A Patch Map (Basic)
or
Make A Patch Map (Advanced)

The dialog boxes are pretty self explanatory.

Is there a way to set up BIAB so that all rythm is handled by a
dedicated drum machine?  I have the Boss DR-770.  It would be nice if
BIAB could trigger a preset in the DR-770 according to the style chosen
in BIAB.

This one could be accomplished but I don't know if it would be easy (nor if you really want to do that).

I suspect (I haven't tried this) that you could assign patch numbers to the song for rhythm numbers in the drum machine, and then mute the BiaB drums by clicking on the name Drums while the song is playing.

That doesn't directly answer your second question though, because to me it would seem like a pain in the @$%

Why might you not want to do this?  The drums in the BiaB styles have various rolls and other rhythmic devices that compliment the styles (I know the styles I write definitely do) and the style will not sound the same (possibly not as good) if you were using the comp parts from BiaB and the drum pattern from another drum machine.

It would work if you needed it for recording purposes, but I wouldn't want to do that on a day by day basis.

What I would do is use the Band-in-a-Box rhythms but use my drum machine as the sound module for the drums.

You can make a drum patch map in the same way you made the patch map.

Just make sure your drum machine is on the same MIDI channel as BIAB's (default is 10 but this can be changed  Opt. -> MIDI Channels, options

If it were me and if it was practical, I'd change the drum numbers of my drum machine to emulate General MIDI drum notes.

I hope this helped.

Bob "Notes" Norton
owner, Norton Music
norton@...

FREE Midi Files ... Band-in-a-Box improvement software ... links to MIDI file search pages ... download and print sheet music directly from the web ... a few jokes to brighten your day ... and some way cool stuff of interest to musicians!!!