question about updates and old files

Bob Graf

Dear Band in a box group,

I ordered the 2022 Ultra Pak+ update.  I got the Ultra Pak + last  year also.  I think I have gotten updates more than  6 times since 1992 (version5) and maybe earlier    I have the 1992 disks on my desk as a paperweight. (I also have version 3 among those disks..no date). However those early disks were MAC version.  I now have been using the PC version.

I don't use it a lot, but I try to keep up with it from time to time, because I think it is a genius thing that gives me pleasure whenever I explore it...and I think that if I spend time exploring, I want to learn the latest. 

And now I am retired and will have more time.

My question is this...
            When I  receive the 2022 Ultra Pak+ drive, or download my files, will it contain all the previous elements?  I am always confused about this.  Sometimes I purchased the extra disks offered, but not every time.  And I am confused about how to integrate the new with the old.   

I honestly only use a very small portion of the total content, but if I get a downloaded song that requires a given style or realtrack, and I can't find that one, I am never sure if I really don't have it, or if I just didn't integrate all the past pieces.

I understand that some people create their own styles and that may be the reason i don't have it....but I am never sure one way or the other.

The recent discussion about the missing styles prompted me to ask for some help with my understanding of how to know if I have the complete set of Band in the Box elements for PC.

Thank you
Bob Graf

David H. Bailey

I'm interspersing my answers between your paragraphs.

On 12/12/2021 10:20 PM, Bob Graf wrote:
    I ordered the 2022 Ultra Pak+ update.  I got the Ultra Pak + last year also.  I think I have gotten updates more than  6 times since 1992 (version5) and maybe earlier    I have the 1992 disks on my desk as a paperweight. (I also have version 3 among those disks..no date). However those early disks were MAC version.  I now have been using the PC version.
    I don't use it a lot, but I try to keep up with it from time to time, because I think it is a genius thing that gives me pleasure whenever I explore it...and I think that if I spend time exploring, I want to learn the latest.
    My question is this...
            When I  receive the 2022 Ultra Pak+ drive, or download my files, will it contain all the previous elements?  I am always confused about this.  Sometimes I purchased the extra disks offered, but not every time.  And I am confused about how to integrate the new with the old.
Originally the impression was that the UltraPak+ contained everything. But PGMusic keep releasing extra things, such as styles in the 49-Pak they offer with each new version that contains styles and realtracks which aren't in any of released packages. And they have releaste 2096 Xtra Styles which must be purchased separately. So the answer is "No, the UltraPak+ does NOT contain all the previous elements." However, it DOES contain all the previous elements which have been released in all previous 'UltraPaks'."

I honestly only use a very small portion of the total content, but if I get a downloaded song that requires a given style or realtrack, and I can't find that one, I am never sure if I really don't have it, or if I just didn't integrate all the past pieces.
One neat thing that BIAB does is that if it doesn't have a style that is required by a specific song file, it can try to suggest a similar style that is installed on your computer. If there are missing RealTracks, they were most likely included in the extra-cost 49-Pak or in one of the 12 Xtra Styles Paks (which can be purchased individually or in a special package of all 12 of those Paks in a single installation file) so you wouldn't have them unless you had bought those add-ons.

I understand that some people create their own styles and that may be the reason i don't have it....but I am never sure one way or the other.
People like Bob Norton and some others whose after-market styles he sells have created their own MIDI styles, but to the best of my knowledge there aren't people that I have heard of other than PGMusic marketing their own "RealStyles."

The recent discussion about the missing styles prompted me to ask for some help with my understanding of how to know if I have the complete set of Band in the Box elements for PC.
In the Options menu is the choice "What Add-Ons Do I Have?" -- select that and a dialog will open which will show you which add-ons you have, broken down into six categories: RealTracks Sets, RealDrums, Midi SuperTracks Sets, (Optional) Xtra Styles Sets and more, Midi Styles, Midi Soloist Sets. Each of those six categories has two panels, one labeled (found) and one labeled (NOT found).

There is also a button to click labeled "Check now for latest new products" and that will open a browser showing you the page "www.pgmusic.com/addons.htm" so that you can decide what if anything you want to purchase.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Bob Graf

Thank You Dave for your clear comments .  It will be  helpful to go back to your explanations as I try to figure out what I have and what I don't have.  
Much appreciated,
Bob

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 5:25 AM David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:
I'm interspersing my answers between your paragraphs.

On 12/12/2021 10:20 PM, Bob Graf wrote:
> Dear Band in a box group,
>
>      I ordered the 2022 Ultra Pak+ update.  I got the Ultra Pak + last 
> year also.  I think I have gotten updates more than  6 times since 1992
> (version5) and maybe earlier    I have the 1992 disks on my desk as a
> paperweight. (I also have version 3 among those disks..no date). However
> those early disks were MAC version.  I now have been using the PC version.
>
>      I don't use it a lot, but I try to keep up with it from time to
> time, because I think it is a genius thing that gives me
> pleasure whenever I explore it...and I think that if I spend time
> exploring, I want to learn the latest.
>
>    And now I am retired and will have more time.
>
>      My question is this...
>              When I  receive the 2022 Ultra Pak+ drive, or download my
> files, will it contain all the previous elements?  I am always confused
> about this.  Sometimes I purchased the extra disks offered, but not
> every time.  And I am confused about how to integrate the new with the old.

Originally the impression was that the UltraPak+ contained everything.
But PGMusic keep releasing extra things, such as styles in the 49-Pak
they offer with each new version that contains styles and realtracks
which aren't in any of released packages.  And they have releaste 2096
Xtra Styles which must be purchased separately.  So the answer is "No,
the UltraPak+ does NOT contain all the previous elements."  However, it
DOES contain all the previous elements which have been released in all
previous 'UltraPaks'."

>
>             I honestly only use a very small portion of the total
> content, but if I get a downloaded song that requires a given style or
> realtrack, and I can't find that one, I am never sure if I really don't
> have it, or if I just didn't integrate all the past pieces.
>

One neat thing that BIAB does is that if it doesn't have a style that is
required by a specific song file, it can try to suggest a similar style
that is installed on your computer.  If there are missing RealTracks,
they were most likely included in the extra-cost 49-Pak or in one of the
12 Xtra Styles Paks (which can be purchased individually or in a special
package of all 12 of those Paks in a single installation file) so you
wouldn't have them unless you had bought those add-ons.

>            I understand that some people create their own styles and
> that may be the reason i don't have it....but I am never sure one way or
> the other.

People like Bob Norton and some others whose after-market styles he
sells have created their own MIDI styles, but to the best of my
knowledge there aren't people that I have heard of other than PGMusic
marketing their own "RealStyles."

>
>          The recent discussion about the missing styles prompted me to
> ask for some help with my understanding of how to know if I have the
> complete set of Band in the Box elements for PC.
>

In the Options menu is the choice "What Add-Ons Do I Have?" -- select
that and a dialog will open which will show you which add-ons you have,
broken down into six categories: RealTracks Sets, RealDrums, Midi
SuperTracks Sets, (Optional) Xtra Styles Sets and more, Midi Styles,
Midi Soloist Sets.  Each of those six categories has two panels, one
labeled (found) and one labeled (NOT found).

There is also a button to click labeled "Check now for latest new
products" and that will open a browser showing you the page
"www.pgmusic.com/addons.htm" so that you can decide what if anything you
want to purchase.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...

--
Robert Graf, D. Min.
cell: 304-728-2829

Arthur Trinchera

I have the same question  Bob. I have everything from when I used biab in 2011 plus user mgu's and styles, then upgraded in 2020 and have bb 2011 folder tucked into 2020 install but Have migrated and copied, I don't know which is which
, What I have it don't have. Very confusing and feel like I need to start  over, just never wanted to lose my old stuff while upgrading and folder system is different than older versions. I'll be watching your replies and good luck.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021, 7:20 PM Bob Graf <robertwv@...> wrote:

I ordered the 2022 Ultra Pak+ update.  I got the Ultra Pak + last  year also.  I think I have gotten updates more than  6 times since 1992 (version5) and maybe earlier    I have the 1992 disks on my desk as a paperweight. (I also have version 3 among those disks..no date). However those early disks were MAC version.  I now have been using the PC version.

My question is this...

Thank you
Bob Graf

etcjoe

When you upgrade you get everything that exists from thw beginning of time until you upgrade based on the package you buy. For example if you buy audiophile edition it includes everything (not the Xtra stuff as those are add on, the 49 pak, Xtra style paks 1 thru 12 etc). If you want to migrate your stuff it is not too hard to figure out where songs and Styles go. If in doubt use pg forum or help chat or phone call. When you upgrade to the same bb folder you were using before my experience is If the folder structure changed the upgrade took care of that for me. I do not remember ever having to do any shuffling around. The key is to have a backup and to understand where you have customized an installation somehow. The upgrades never have over written any of my own songs or tracks etc. I ha e tons of custom styles and songs and have never lost them thru an upgrade.

William Prentice

I have been trying to communicate with PG music support...they know even less about their product than I do!  They can't tell me where the 2022 49-Pak styles can (should) be found!  I ask for a refund on the 49-Pak that will not install.  I will see how that goes.  
My friend and I both ordered the Audiophile Edition only I added the 49-Pac.  We both have 7,059 styles and when we check "what addons I have", we both have exactly the same information...very odd!  The only difference is he still has his $50.00!  I used the download manager more than once and finally was advised to do a manual download...BIAB crashed at that point.  If I upgrade again next year, I will not purchase anything extra!

On Tuesday, December 14, 2021, 10:39:37 AM MST, etcjoe <joebradley62@...> wrote:

When you upgrade you get everything that exists from thw beginning of time until you upgrade based on the package you buy. For example if you buy audiophile edition it includes everything (not the Xtra stuff as those are add on, the 49 pak, Xtra style paks 1 thru 12 etc). If you want to migrate your stuff it is not too hard to figure out where songs and Styles go. If in doubt use pg forum or help chat or phone call. When you upgrade to the same bb folder you were using before my experience is If the folder structure changed the upgrade took care of that for me. I do not remember ever having to do any shuffling around. The key is to have a backup and to understand where you have customized an installation somehow. The upgrades never have over written any of my own songs or tracks etc. I ha e tons of custom styles and songs and have never lost them thru an upgrade.

etcjoe

I am sorry your experience was not good. I upgraded my audiophile on day 1 of the release with 49 pak as well and had no issues with downloads.  I received my USB drive a few days ago and have verified I got all i paid for. I guess everyone's mileage may vary! It is very disappointing that the experience is not consistent for everyone.

Eric De Kesel

I also have a question : I’ve upgraded from ultrapak 2020 to ultrapak 2022.

In the presentation BIAB boasts about 50 drum tracks that use stems. However I count only 17 drumtracks. I ran the installer. Did I miss something ?

Thx

eric

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows

Van: Bob Graf
Verzonden: maandag 13 december 2021 4:20
Aan: main@band-in-a-box.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files

My question is this...

Thank you

Bob Graf

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Bob Graf

Some things I have learned in this process of upgrading---
      -As Dave explained, there is the line in the HELP menu which tells you what you have and what you don't.
      -I got the Ultra Pak+  2021 and also  2022   PG music help tells me that the SONGS and LESSONS is what is in the +, but it will not come on the hard drive.  It only comes with the download.    Also they told me that the SONGS and LESSONS of 2021 and 2022 are the same.   So from what they told me, I would not have had to pay the $30 extra ($149vs179)  However, on comparing the downloaded songs and lessons folders of 2021 and 2022 they are not the same sizes, at least on my computer.
      -Comparing the styles and the real tracks of the 2022 download and the hard drive...they have different quantities of files and folders  
(The real tracks on the hard drive were 118 GB,  on the complete download 110 GB)
      -Apparently I have never purchased the xtra disks..at least according to PGmusic records. I got 2012, 2017, 2021 and 2022,  not counting earlier updates going into the 1990's.  PG help tells me that the Ultra PAK + contains everything which I have purchased in the past.  I asked how many styles I should have..and they told me more than 2800.   The advertising says 3300,  when I rebuilt the style folder it gave me a number in the 6000 range.  i am sure that I will never get so far into BIAB that I will notice the differences, but just for clarity that I have all the pieces of the puzzle...it would be good to be able to verify "completeness". Without scratching my head, wondering if I have missed something, doubled something...or just messed up the update process somehow.

Bob Graf

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 4:17 PM Eric De Kesel <eric.de.kesel1@...> wrote:

I also have a question : I’ve upgraded from ultrapak 2020 to ultrapak 2022.

In the presentation BIAB boasts about 50 drum tracks that use stems. However I count only 17 drumtracks. I ran the installer. Did I miss something ?

Thx

eric

Van: Bob Graf
Verzonden: maandag 13 december 2021 4:20
Aan: main@band-in-a-box.groups.io

My question is this...

Thank you

Bob Graf

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

--
Robert Graf, D. Min.
cell: 304-728-2829

William Prentice

How many styles do you show when you check the style picker?  I have 7059 and could never get the 49Pak to install.  The downloads were fine it just the install failed.

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 11:39:18 AM MST, etcjoe <joebradley62@...> wrote:

I am sorry your experience was not good. I upgraded my audiophile on day 1 of the release with 49 pak as well and had no issues with downloads.  I received my USB drive a few days ago and have verified I got all i paid for. I guess everyone's mileage may vary! It is very disappointing that the experience is not consistent for everyone.

DENNIS

How can I go about dong this  ?

From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On Behalf Of William Prentice via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2021 2:11 PM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files

How many styles do you show when you check the style picker?  I have 7059 and could never get the 49Pak to install.  The downloads were fine it just the install failed.

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 11:39:18 AM MST, etcjoe <joebradley62@...> wrote:

David H. Bailey

Start BIAB, then open the StylePicker window. If you haven't done so recently and have installed anything recently be sure to click the Rebuild button and choose "Slow Rebuild" so that BIAB searches all hard drives and folders to find any/all styles.

Be sure that there are no filters operating so that you can see all the styles, both Real and Midi types of styles.

Then in the upper left, immediately above the listing of the styles, there should be a number that shows how many styles are being displayed.

David

On 12/15/2021 10:41 PM, DENNIS wrote:
How can I go about dong this  ?
*From:*main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> *On Behalf Of *William Prentice via groups.io
*Sent:* Thursday, 16 December 2021 2:11 PM
*To:* main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files
On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 11:39:18 AM MST, etcjoe <joebradley62@bellsouth.net <mailto:joebradley62@bellsouth.net>> wrote:
I am sorry your experience was not good. I upgraded my audiophile on day 1 of the release with 49 pak as well and had no issues with downloads. I received my USB drive a few days ago and have verified I got all i paid for. I guess everyone's mileage may vary! It is very disappointing that the experience is not consistent for everyone.
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net

William Prentice

When I do a rebuild, I have 7059 files.  When I do a search, BONUS styles are all that show.  Can you give me the exact file name of a few of the styles that came on the 49Pak?  That way I will know what to look for.  If you search "49" will that locate this 49Pak?  They said I will get a refund.  I would be happy to pay for it if I could only find it!

On Thursday, December 16, 2021, 04:01:34 AM MST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:

Start BIAB, then open the StylePicker window.  If you haven't done so
recently and have installed anything recently be sure to click the
Rebuild button and choose "Slow Rebuild" so that BIAB searches all hard
drives and folders to find any/all styles.

Be sure that there are no filters operating so that you can see all the
styles, both Real and Midi types of styles.

Then in the upper left, immediately above the listing of the styles,
there should be a number that shows how many styles are being displayed.

David

> How can I go about dong this  ?
>
> *From:*main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> *On
> Behalf Of *William Prentice via groups.io
> *Sent:* Thursday, 16 December 2021 2:11 PM
> *To:* main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
> *Subject:* Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files
>
> How many styles do you show when you check the style picker?  I have
> 7059 and could never get the 49Pak to install.  The downloads were fine
> it just the install failed.
>
> On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 11:39:18 AM MST, etcjoe
> <joebradley62@... <mailto:joebradley62@...>> wrote:
>
> I am sorry your experience was not good. I upgraded my audiophile on day
> 1 of the release with 49 pak as well and had no issues with downloads. 
> I received my USB drive a few days ago and have verified I got all i
> paid for. I guess everyone's mileage may vary! It is very disappointing
> that the experience is not consistent for everyone.
>
>

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...

Arthur Trinchera

Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will search all drives and folders?
My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical folders etc.
Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!
I guess if the slow build will find everything with no duplicates?
The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.
I live with the mess but know there must be a better way.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021, 3:01 AM David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:
Start BIAB, then open the StylePicker window.  If you haven't done so
recently and have installed anything recently be sure to click the
Rebuild button and choose "Slow Rebuild" so that BIAB searches all hard
drives and folders to find any/all styles.

Be sure that there are no filters operating so that you can see all the
styles, both Real and Midi types of styles.

Then in the upper left, immediately above the listing of the styles,
there should be a number that shows how many styles are being displayed.

David

> How can I go about dong this  ?
>
> *From:*main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> *On
> Behalf Of *William Prentice via groups.io
> *Sent:* Thursday, 16 December 2021 2:11 PM
> *To:* main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
> *Subject:* Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files
>
> How many styles do you show when you check the style picker?  I have
> 7059 and could never get the 49Pak to install.  The downloads were fine
> it just the install failed.
>
> On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 11:39:18 AM MST, etcjoe
> <joebradley62@... <mailto:joebradley62@...>> wrote:
>
> I am sorry your experience was not good. I upgraded my audiophile on day
> 1 of the release with 49 pak as well and had no issues with downloads. 
> I received my USB drive a few days ago and have verified I got all i
> paid for. I guess everyone's mileage may vary! It is very disappointing
> that the experience is not consistent for everyone.
>
>

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...

David H. Bailey

On 12/16/2021 10:40 AM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:
Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will search all drives and folders?
My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical folders etc.
Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!
The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.
[snip]

One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named something like that) not inside your current BIAB folder. I say copy instead of move incase something gets totally messed up. You can always go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.

Once you've done that, using Windows explorer highlight drag that new folder into your current BIAB2020 installation so you'll have two files which should be right next to each other if you organize the list by name:
c:\bb\styles
c:\bb\Extra styles

Then run the slow rebuild in the stylepicker window and it should find all the styles.

David

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net

Arthur Trinchera

David, I can't thank you enough for the time you take to thoroughly reply to so many here. You have helped me a few times in the past as well. This gives me a plan and I thank you for it!
Respectfully,
Arthur

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021, 11:48 AM David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:
> Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will
> search all drives and folders?
> My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have an
> old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that I
> downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical
> folders etc.
> Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install
> folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is
> everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way more
> active with biab and had written my own songs and practice material. So
> it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and taking more space
> than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all sorted out. I don't
> want to delete my old folder and have to refind and redownload
> everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I get confused to
> save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!
> I guess if the slow build will find everything with no duplicates?
> The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at
> them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.
> I live with the mess but know there must be a better way.
>
[snip]

One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files
from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your
current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named
something like that)   not inside your current BIAB folder.  I say copy
instead of move incase something gets totally messed up.  You can always
go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.

Once you've done that, using Windows explorer highlight drag that new
folder into your current BIAB2020 installation so you'll have two files
which should be right next to each other if you organize the list by name:

Then run the slow rebuild in the stylepicker window and it should find
all the styles.

David

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...

DENNIS

I heartily endorse Arthurs comments David. My feeling is that without your input alone, Band In A Box would not be as popular or as easy to sue as it is. Well Done to you Sir - Dennis - New Zealand

-----Original Message-----
From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On Behalf Of David H. Bailey
Sent: Friday, 17 December 2021 8:48 AM

Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will
search all drives and folders?
My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have
an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that
I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical
folders etc.
Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install
folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is
everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way
more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice
material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and
taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all
sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind
and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I
get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!
The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at
them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.
[snip]

One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named
something like that) not inside your current BIAB folder. I say copy
instead of move incase something gets totally messed up. You can always go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.

Once you've done that, using Windows explorer highlight drag that new folder into your current BIAB2020 installation so you'll have two files which should be right next to each other if you organize the list by name:

Then run the slow rebuild in the stylepicker window and it should find all the styles.

David

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net

David H. Bailey

I appreciate the kind words, Arthur and Dennis!

Aw shucks. I'm happy to help when and how I can -- I remember my early days with BIAB and especially the move to the Windows version and all the help I've received over the years and am happy to pay it forward.

I also find that I either learn new things by trying to find answers or re-think processes and ideas and often come away having learned things trying to answer questions.

Thank you for the kind words!
David

On 12/16/2021 6:25 PM, DENNIS wrote:
I heartily endorse Arthurs comments David. My feeling is that without your input alone, Band In A Box would not be as popular or as easy to sue as it is. Well Done to you Sir - Dennis - New Zealand
-----Original Message-----
From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On Behalf Of David H. Bailey
Sent: Friday, 17 December 2021 8:48 AM
Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will
search all drives and folders?
My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have
an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that
I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical
folders etc.
Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install
folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is
everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way
more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice
material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and
taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all
sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind
and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I
get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!
The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at
them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.
[snip]
One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named
something like that) not inside your current BIAB folder. I say copy
instead of move incase something gets totally messed up. You can always go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.
David
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net

Eric De Kesel

PG music answered my question why I only have 17 drumtracks with stems instead of the advertised 50 that I haven’t purchased the 2022 49-pack.

A bit misleading, don’t you agree ?

eric

Van: David H. Bailey
Verzonden: vrijdag 17 december 2021 0:39
Aan: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io

Aw shucks.  I'm happy to help when and how I can -- I remember my early

days with BIAB and especially the move to the Windows version and all

the help I've received over the years and am happy to pay it forward.

I also find that I either learn new things by trying to find answers or

re-think processes and ideas and often come away having learned things

trying to answer questions.

David

> I heartily endorse Arthurs comments David. My feeling is that without your input alone, Band In A Box would not be as popular or as easy to sue as it is. Well Done to you Sir - Dennis - New Zealand

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On Behalf Of David H. Bailey

> Sent: Friday, 17 December 2021 8:48 AM

> To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files

>

> On 12/16/2021 10:40 AM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:

>> Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will

>> search all drives and folders?

>> My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have

>> an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that

>> I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical

>> folders etc.

>> Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install

>> folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is

>> everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way

>> more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice

>> material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and

>> taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all

>> sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind

>> and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I

>> get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!

>> I guess if the slow build will find everything with no duplicates?

>> The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at

>> them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.

>> I live with the mess but know there must be a better way.

>> 

> [snip]

>

> One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named

> something like that)   not inside your current BIAB folder.  I say copy

> instead of move incase something gets totally messed up.  You can always go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.

>

> Once you've done that, using Windows explorer highlight drag that new folder into your current BIAB2020 installation so you'll have two files which should be right next to each other if you organize the list by name:

> c:\bb\styles

> c:\bb\Extra styles

>

> Then run the slow rebuild in the stylepicker window and it should find all the styles.

>

> David

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --

> *****

> David H. Bailey

> dhbailey52@...

> http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

--

David H. Bailey

dhbailey52@...

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

David H. Bailey

Yes, very misleading. If you have to pay for an extra add-on to get the total which is advertised as being part of BIAB2022, that is very misleading! If they advertise something as being part of BIAB2022, it should be included!

Too bad!
David

On 12/17/2021 6:44 AM, Eric De Kesel wrote:
PG music answered my question why I only have 17 drumtracks with stems instead of the advertised 50 that I haven’t purchased the 2022 49-pack.
A bit misleading, don’t you agree ?
eric
Verzonden vanuit Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> voor Windows
*Van: *David H. Bailey <mailto:dhbailey52@comcast.net>
*Verzonden: *vrijdag 17 december 2021 0:39
*Aan: *main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <mailto:main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io>
*Onderwerp: *Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files
Aw shucks.  I'm happy to help when and how I can -- I remember my early
days with BIAB and especially the move to the Windows version and all
the help I've received over the years and am happy to pay it forward.
I also find that I either learn new things by trying to find answers or
re-think processes and ideas and often come away having learned things
trying to answer questions.
David

> I heartily endorse Arthurs comments David. My feeling is that without
your input alone, Band In A Box would not be as popular or as easy to sue as it is. Well Done to you Sir - Dennis - New Zealand

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> On
Behalf Of David H. Bailey

> Sent: Friday, 17 December 2021 8:48 AM

> To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] question about updates and old files

>

> On 12/16/2021 10:40 AM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:

>> Will this work the same for song picker, using slow build? It will

>> search all drives and folders?

>> My issue is I have a 2020 version that was my last update but I have

>> an old 2011 mega version that has a ton of user styles and songs that

>> I downloaded. Tons of jazz and other songs downloaded by alphabetical

>> folders etc.

>> Plus biab filed styles differently back then. So I have a bb install

>> folder that is 2020, then inside that I have another bb folder that is

>> everything I've saved from 2011 And before, when I was actually way

>> more active with biab and had written my own songs and practice

>> material. So it's very messy and probably lots of duplicates and

>> taking more space than I need. I don't seem smart enough to get it all

>> sorted out. I don't want to delete my old folder and have to refind

>> and redownload everything. It's just too much. Also when I save now I

>> get confused to save to 2020 file system or old. It's a freaking mess!

>> I guess if the slow build will find everything with no duplicates?

>> The old styles folders are so many and none are named when looking at

>> them in explor. You actually have to open in biab to see what they are.

>> I live with the mess but know there must be a better way.

>>

> [snip]

>

> One thing to do would be to spend time copying all your styles files
from the older BIAB installation and any other folders not in your current c:\bb folder into a single "Extra Styles" folder (or named

> something like that)   not inside your current BIAB folder.  I say copy

> instead of move incase something gets totally messed up.  You can
always go back and delete them later if you need the hard disk space.

>

> Once you've done that, using Windows explorer highlight drag that new
folder into your current BIAB2020 installation so you'll have two files which should be right next to each other if you organize the list by name:

> c:\bb\styles

> c:\bb\Extra styles

>

> Then run the slow rebuild in the stylepicker window and it should
find all the styles.

>

> David

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --

> *****

> David H. Bailey

> dhbailey52@comcast.net

> http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Virusvrij. www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net