Topics

Play-along exercises

Clemmons, Scott <scottc@...>

Hi,

I'm a jazz pianist looking for play-along jazz exercises, such as ii-V-I V7 cycles, etc. , ala Jamey Aebersold, but in a MIDI format.
Does Band-in-a-Box give me this capability out of the box, or how much time would it take to create such exercises with BINAB?
Can I print out music with BINAB?

Does anyone know of any MIDI files already on Internet with such exercises?

Thanks,

Scott
:-|
No matter what happens,someone will find a way to take it too seriously.

Steve Peacock

Setting up ii-V-I exercises to practice over will take less than a few minutes with BIAB. It's very quick and easy.

You could also download a whole bunch of practice exercises which have been set up by somebody else. I'm sure there's lots on the web, but one example is http://members.nbci.com/wesleydick/Songlist.html
where there is a zip file full of BIAB practice exercises (submitted by some guy called Bob Roetker, apparently).

Regards
Steve

WARNING: This e-mail is being sent from The Tongaat-Hulett Group Limited or one of its subsidiaries and is intended for the addressee named above. Any unauthorised use or interception of this e-mail is illegal. The e-mail message or its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information and may not be copied, forwarded or disclosed to any unauthorised person. If you are not the named addressee (or person responsible for forwarding the e-mail to the addressee) please notify us immediately via return e-mail and destroy the copy you have received. Save for bona fide company matters, neither The Tongaat-Hulett Group Limited nor its subsidiaries accepts responsibility for the opinions or the content in this e-mail or its attachments.

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>

At 06:59 AM 1/23/01 -0600, "Clemmons, Scott" wrote:
I'm a jazz pianist looking for play-along jazz exercises, such as ii-V-I V7 cycles, etc. , ala Jamey Aebersold, but in a MIDI format.
Does Band-in-a-Box give me this capability out of the box, or how much time would it take to create such exercises with BINAB?

Creating an exercise like this would take about a minute in Band-in-a-Box. Simply type the chord changes in, pick a tempo and style and click play.

Can I print out music with BINAB?

Yes. The music is very readable but not as good as you would get from a dedicated music publishing program like Finale or Encore.

The main advantage of the Abersold disks over BiaB are the arrangements. They are slick and very song specific.

While the very good arrangements in Band-in-a-Box are more generic, IMHO, the BiaB advantages more than make up for the non song specific arrangements. Here are just a few: You can change the key with a click of the mouse (without changing tempo) ... You can change the tempo from largo to presto with a click of the mouse (without changing the pitch) ... You can change the style of the song ... You can pick a problem section for you and repeat it a couple of dozen times without any glitching ... You can mute any of the parts (in your case the piano) with a mouse click ... You can change the notation style so it reads Roman Numerals (ii - V7 - I) instead of the chord symbols ... etc.

Since you don't have Band-in-a-Box, why not listen to some of the arrangements? I have a page full of MIDI files that have been made with Band-in-a-Box and my 3rd party, aftermarket styles. Each MIDI file was exported from Band-in-a-Box and not one note was changed after exporting. In other words, "what you hear is what you get." To listen, go to http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

Bob "Notes" Norton
owner, Norton Music
norton@...

FREE Midi Files ... Band-in-a-Box improvement software ... links to MIDI file search pages ... download and print sheet music directly from the web ... a few jokes to brighten your day ... and some way cool stuff of interest to musicians!!!

danadler@...

Even better: enter the changes, let the soloist compose a solo for
you in the style you want, and play along.

-Dan

Alisdair MacRae Birch <alisdair@...>

Hi Scott

In a few words BIAB is the program you need to get! You can type in
any of the chord progressions and melody lines you need to practice.
I'll set up an exercises folder in our files section, should any
members put together some good exercises they can upload them to that
area.

BTW have all members checked out the file section of the group?

Kind Regards

---alisdair

--- In Band-in-a-Box@..., "Clemmons, Scott" <scottc@f...>
wrote:
Hi,

I'm a jazz pianist looking for play-along jazz exercises, such as
ii-V-I V7 cycles, etc. , ala Jamey Aebersold, but in a MIDI format.
Does Band-in-a-Box give me this capability out of the box, or how
much time would it take to create such exercises with BINAB?
Can I print out music with BINAB?

Does anyone know of any MIDI files already on Internet with such
exercises?

Thanks,

Scott
:-|
No matter what happens,someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

Clemmons, Scott <scottc@...>

I guess I will have to purchase BIAB, then. It sounds like what I've been looking for.
Thanks all for the information.

wrote:
Hi,

I'm a jazz pianist looking for play-along jazz exercises, such as
ii-V-I V7 cycles, etc. , ala Jamey Aebersold, but in a MIDI format.
Does Band-in-a-Box give me this capability out of the box, or how
much time would it take to create such exercises with BINAB?
Can I print out music with BINAB?

Does anyone know of any MIDI files already on Internet with such
exercises?

Thanks,

Scott
:-|
No matter what happens,someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

eGroups Sponsor
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=168002.1291681.2888959.2/D=egroupmail/S=1700000001:N/A=564957/*http://www.columbiahouse.com/gateway?token=7416> Choose 3 DVDs for $0.49 each!
Choose 3 DVDs for $0.49 each!