Topics

Off topic - sound fonts

IAN GRAHAM

Morning all, from Wales

I wondered if anyone knows of any onlinegroups/forums whose remit includes sound fonts ? I'd quite like to lurk and listen in such a group. I have had a quick search in io, without turning anything up.

Many thanks

Ian G.

ghdowson@talk21.com

Hi Ian

Whilst I'm ignorant about sound fonts I do notice relevant discussions on the MidKar group.

You might care to have a look at the link below and possibly contact Don via the group.

http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html

Good luck with your research.

Graham

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020, 12:03:35 BST, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham@...> wrote:

Morning all, from Wales

I wondered if anyone knows of any onlinegroups/forums whose remit
includes sound fonts ? I'd quite like to lurk and listen in such a
group. I have had a quick search in io, without turning anything up.

Many thanks

Ian G.

guru42k

Ian,
Graham has provided the best info that I'm aware of.  Don Allen has been producing very complex soundfont libraries since 2013 or before.
Apparently the soundfonts work best if your MIDIs are voiced with NON-YAMAHA voices (which BIAB seems to be!).   I have it loaded and always struggle with using it since MIDIs produced on my Yamaha Genos never sound good without extensive re-voicing.

If you're on Windows, I recommend visiting https://coolsoft.altervista.org and grabbing the free VirtualMIDISynth and MIDIMapper.

Ditto Graham's "good luck".   Don Allen is a member of MidKar, but I'm not sure how "interactive" he is with the daily postings stream on the MidKar list.

Dave

On 8/4/2020 6:22 AM, ghdowson@... via groups.io wrote:
Hi Ian

Whilst I'm ignorant about sound fonts I do notice relevant discussions on the MidKar group.

You might care to have a look at the link below and possibly contact Don via the group.

http://midkar.com/soundfonts/index.html

Good luck with your research.

Graham

On Tuesday, 4 August 2020, 12:03:35 BST, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham@...> wrote:

Morning all, from Wales

I wondered if anyone knows of any onlinegroups/forums whose remit
includes sound fonts ? I'd quite like to lurk and listen in such a
group. I have had a quick search in io, without turning anything up.

Many thanks

Ian G.

IAN GRAHAM

Thank you both, Dave and Graham.

Though to note, group management, I have received Graham's post only via Dave's endorsement of it ?

Sincerely

Ian Graham

On 04/08/2020 12:36, guru42k wrote:

[...]

It had got put into my spam folder for some reason.......

On 04/08/2020 13:06, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Geoff Barnard

Hello,

You might also look at the SynthZone forum, which is mostly about Synths, obviously, but has a lot about synth tech, and specific sections of info about sound fonts etc.

There seems to be discussion on the forum proper about samples, and sound fonts, etc.

Have a look at the CoolSoft VMS (Virtual Midi Synth) site as well, various links there to this sort of tech, the software, and how to use it all. I started there not so lons ago, then found the SynthFont system which I moved on to.

I'm still very happy with SynthFont for playing midi files, and the 'Timbres of Heaven' font file (which I discovered via the CoolSoft site, but it works fine with SynthFont as well. TofH is from Don Allen as mentioned in this thread.

Geoff (Guisborough, England)

On 04/08/2020 12:03, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
Morning all, from Wales
I wondered if anyone knows of any onlinegroups/forums whose remit
includes sound fonts ? I'd quite like to lurk and listen in such a
group. I have had a quick search in io, without turning anything up.
Many thanks
Ian G.

IAN GRAHAM

Thanks, Geoff.

All noted. I have Synthfont but haven't yet explored it in depth. I've been on the Don Allen site, and some of the internal links there seem n/f.

Many thanks

Ian G.

On 04/08/2020 13:46, Geoff Barnard wrote:
[...]

Gary Thompson

Ian ...

Try the https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

It features a forum on Samplers and Sampler Libraries. Many topics on soundfonts specifically.  You can search the forum for "soundfont".

--
Save the earth..... It's the only planet with dark chocolate!
-- Stan

IAN GRAHAM

Thanks, yes that does look 'many and various......'

IG

On 04/08/2020 17:20, Gary Thompson wrote:
Ian ...

Try the https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/

It features a forum on Samplers and Sampler Libraries. Many topics on soundfonts specifically.  You can search the forum for "soundfont".

On 8/4/2020 6:03 AM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
Morning all, from Wales

I wondered if anyone knows of any onlinegroups/forums whose remit includes sound fonts ? I'd quite like to lurk and listen in such a group. I have had a quick search in io, without turning anything up.

Many thanks

Ian G.

IAN GRAHAM

I'm grateful for all the reaction and suggestions.

One positive tip to note: Synthfont is very useful, even if you don't want to use it as a player, because for any font that it loads, it is possible to get at a patch list - information that is often lacking from the direct online documentation of the actual fonts.

If any future search picks up this thread, I'm happy to be contacted. (I've had the same email address for 14 years, and no plans to change it !)

Ian Graham

Wales