Notating a G7(13(9) chord [was: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] Download/upload]

David H. Bailey

On 8/28/2021 12:16 PM, rob via groups.io wrote:
how are you all . How would I notate g7(13)(9) . Would anybody also point me in the direction of how to notate these jazz chord extensions      thanks all rob!
[snip]
You should always change the subject line (I've done it for you) if you are changing the topic of the conversation.

How you would notate it depends on what you mean with the two extensions in parentheses -- are they "add" intervals?

If so, you would notate it G9add13 -- the 9 isn't an "add" interval since it's the next third above the 7th, so you're really asking about a 9th chord with an added 13th.

If you aren't asking about "add" intervals, then you could just enter G13.

wittra3@...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the notation system, so excuse me if I'm reading the question wrong.  What do you mean by g7(13)(9)?  I'm assuming you mean G, but if you meant G minor since the G is lowercase, then it gets difficult.  I think if we would just spell out the desired notes by interval, so (G 3 5 7 9 13) would just be G13sus#9

Does anyone know how enharmonic chords are played by BIAB?  For instance, does BIAB treat a C6(omit 5) differently then an Am?  Both chords have a C, E, A in them, the only difference being the root, so I guess you could say C6(omit5) and Am/C, would they be treated the same in BIAB?

etcjoe

My understanding is BIAB treats the chord as you have written it and as in your example the "same" chord can have different names. I believe it has an effect on voicing as well bass notes played by the bass. As far as notation there is good direction in the manual as to what chords you can input and how they should look. Over in the
PG Music forums there are lots of topics on chords and input. You may find some useful tidbits there as well. Good tips from long time users.