Topics

New Member Introduction

Clemmons, Scott <scottc@...>

Hi,

My name is Scott Clemmons. I just received my BIAB last Friday from Bob Norton after reading its praises on this list. I have to say, I am NOT disappointed, and, in fact, it exceeded my expectations. As mentioned in a previous posting of mine, my goal is to make MIDI "exercises" with Bass & Drums, such as ii-V-Is and such, so that I can play-along with them on a MIDI-capable piano. I was able to do this in a matter of minutes after installing the program. I made about a dozen such exercises this weekend. What surprised me was all of the other features that I didn't expect: the different harmony (esp. the Shearing style which I have been studying), the printing quality, and comping styles. I'll be able to use this to help my sight-reading skills,too. It took me about 5 minutes to enter the chords for a Dixie-Chicks song for my daughter to practice guitar along with. For its price, it's one of the most feature-packed programs I have purchased. (No, I don't have any affiliation!
with PG-Music.)

My background:
I'm 36, have been studying piano since 10. Most of my "prime" years I studied classical. After a 10-year on&off again college degree-plan, I received a Bachelor's in Jazz Performance. Despite this, I am the first to admit that my skills as a Jazz pianist are lacking and it's not since I graduated (about 9 years ago) that I have really started knowing what a Jazz pianist is supposed to sound like. I am inching my way forward, practicing when I can after the kids go to bed at night. I make my living as a Software Engineer, and I attribute my training/discipline as a pianist for my success. (When I was working on Beethoven's "Pathetic" Sonata in Cm for a Jury recital, I told myself that if I could accomplish that, I could do anything. I was right: I still have not found anything in the Software world as challenging. Then again, it's not rocket science or nuclear physics.)

I have an Ensoniq TS-12 keyboard (about 6-years old) that I don't play nearly as much since I got my Yamaha DGT7,a digital grand (about 6 months old). I love playing on it, and it has the nice feature of being able to play MIDI files,which I use to play-along with.

Currently I play with the Texas Instruments Jazz Band, a local big-band that has been around for about 15 years (see http://www.enerjazz.com/jazz/tijb.html ). This band consists of a bunch of engineers, part-time amateur musicians, that can really play! We gig on average of 12+ times a year, all for non-profit. Eventually, I would like to be in a small group as well, and play a few times a month, hopefully living out my retirement years as a full-time musician.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it for now.

Scott
:-|
No matter what happens,someone will find a way to take it too seriously.