Topics

Louis Armstrong

Alisdair MacRae Birch <alisdair@...>

Hi John

Like all Jazz musicians, I've always enjoyed Louis Armstrong's
lyrical and rhythmic playing. In my teaching, I use Louis to show how
simple lines with few notes can produce something extra-ordinary and
melodious.

I've transcribed Lous Armstrong's first chorus on Lillian Hardin
Armstrong's composition "Hotter Than That". It's available on the
Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz and was originally recorded in
1927 by his Hot Five Group.

I've created a BIAB file, and find it works well with the PG Music
Style J_DIXIE2.STY. I'll put the file in a folder called Armstrong in
the File section. Hope you enjoy it and find it useful in your
learning. If anyone else has transcribed some of his work, please put
it in this folder.

---alisdair
http://www.alisdair.com

--- In Band-in-a-Box@..., John Birchall <jpb2@s...> wrote:
Band-in-a-Box@... writes:
If you feel inclined please introduce yourself to the group,
telling
us a little about your background, musical interests, how long you
have used BIAB, other software etc. Use the following subject:
New Member Introduction
If we all use the same subject, it will enable any newbies
to "View
by Thread" all the introductions.
OK here's me ...
lifelong jazz listener and record collector ...
recently started to learn to play ...
on the early 1920's - 30's songs for starters they're easier!? ...
BiaB backing tracks are a real help, great ...
I'm transcribing Louis' Hot 5 & 7's into BiaB to learn and
understand,
anyone want to help?
also I'm collecting a song repertoire in BiaB format ...
wonderful every musician should have it ...

cheers and beers
john p birchall
Bush sax player from Chester.

John Birchall <jpb2@...>

alisdair@... writes:
I've created a BIAB file, and find it works well with the PG Music
Style J_DIXIE2.STY. I'll put the file in a folder called Armstrong in
the File section.
thanks Alisdair,
what a solo! Including those memorable 4 bars from bar 17 ...
played by hundreds of trumpeters since 1927 but still inspiring!!

I'll put one of mine 'Come Back Sweet Papa' in the Armstrong file ...
it follows the Hot 5 song structure but only has the lead lines at the
moment ...