How do I stop style change in last chorus.

norstep@juno.com

hello folks, I have figured out a great deal in BIAB. I get choruses, intros, endings but I can't figure out this. So, after the first chorus, the tune goes into a solo feel and at the last chorus returns to the head feel before the ending. I would like it to not return to the head feel at the last chorus and stay with the solo section feel into the end. Any ideas how I do that?

Thanks, norman

David H. Bailey

On 11/2/2021 3:30 PM, norstep@juno.com wrote:
hello folks, I have figured out a great deal in BIAB. I get choruses, intros, endings but I can't figure out this. So, after the first chorus, the tune goes into a solo feel and at the last chorus returns to the head feel before the ending. I would like it to not return to the head feel at the last chorus and stay with the solo section feel into the end. Any ideas how I do that?
In the Song Settings dialog at the top of the left-hand column of options is one labeled "Vary Style in Middle Choruses."

You'll probably notice that in the main chord entry screen the song starts with a blue marker and "1a" -- that indicates that the song is starting with the A variation of the style. Most styles have A and B variations. Some of the newer ones also have C and D variations, but most of even the newer ones have only A and B variations.

The "Vary Style in Middle Choruses" automatically switches the song to the B variation for the middle choruses, however many there are between the first and last choruses. Then it goes back to the A variation for the last chorus.

To achieve what you want you need to UNcheck that box in that dialog. Then in the chord entry screen you need to copy the entire song form and paste it following the first time through the song form.

Leave the "1a" blue marker in the first measure of the song, but at the start of the newly pasted 2nd set of measures, click on the blue marker and it will turn green and the letter will change to "b" indicating that from there on the song will be using the B variation of the style.

Change the settings for the choruses to start with the first measure of this newly pasted section and end with the final measure of this newly pasted section and reduce the number of choruses by 1 since the first group (the original) group of measures will be the first chorus.

Example:
The song currently has measures 1 thru 32 as the chorus and the number of choruses set to 4.
Copy measures 1 thru 32 and paste it starting at bar 33 so now the song actually shows 64 measures of chords.
Click on the blue marker at the start of bar 33 and it should change to green and the marker should show the letter "b"
In the Start and End indicators make certain they show 33 for the start and 64 for the end.
Change the number of choruses from 4 to 3.
Save the song.

When you click play you will now get the first time through the chorus with the original accompaniment because BIAB is playing measures 1 through 32. Then the second through the fourth choruses will have what you've described as "a solo feel" and then the song will end.

It takes less time to do it than it does to read this reply.

Good luck!

norstep@juno.com

David, Thank you. Very clear. I will try this as soon as I can.

Norman