Eight reasons why I, as a Band-in-a-Box user, use RealBand as my DAW of choice

Kofi & Mimi in Ghana

Credit: Joanne Copper

I am expecting a lot of flack for this blog post. The purpose of this post is, however, not to invoke an argument (but hey, conversation is good so fire away!) but rather to encourage new Band-in-a-Box users to give RealBand a try before spending tons of money on a new DAW. I am going to go through eight reasons why I, as a dedicated Band-in-a-Box user, use Realband as my DAW of choice.

https://baninii.com/2021/04/08/eight-reasons-why-i-as-a-band-in-a-box-user-use-realband-as-my-daw-of-choice/

Kofi

Clifton Davis

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021, 2:24 AM Kofi & Mimi in Ghana via groups.io <kofigbleze=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Credit: Joanne Copper

I am expecting a lot of flack for this blog post. The purpose of this post is, however, not to invoke an argument (but hey, conversation is good so fire away!) but rather to encourage new Band-in-a-Box users to give RealBand a try before spending tons of money on a new DAW. I am going to go through eight reasons why I, as a dedicated Band-in-a-Box user, use Realband as my DAW of choice.

https://baninii.com/2021/04/08/eight-reasons-why-i-as-a-band-in-a-box-user-use-realband-as-my-daw-of-choice/

Kofi

I don't disagree with any of those. Though I recently (in December) purchased a copy of Cubase, loaded it up on my old laptop, registered it locally and got it working, created a user account and then my laptop died before I could register it with the user account. (Which is why there is a new laptop.)  At that point I really really really wished I had gotten the version that was registered to a dongle because when I try to activate it on my new laptop it complains that its already activated on another computer and if I tell my account I want to shift it to a new computer, it complains because it isn't registered with the account. But the system with BiaB is much more civilized and they have always been willing to talk to me about any issues, whereas my messages left with the Cubase form describing what happened have gotten no response.

The main issue with RealBand for me is what's missing.  The single big issue, the one thing that is a deal killer, is that I can't easily fit my midi and audio to a groove of my choosing inside the DAW.

If that was fixed, I could work around other issues. What's annoying is that there are click tools to fit things to BiaB grooves, but not the other way around.

The second major thing I would like to do is easily fit pre-existing saved patterns to chords, and this is something the program does inside styles,  but there is no easy way for me to access it as needed.  Which is again annoying.

My third issue is that for the way I work, trying many things out with variations, muting tracks and bringing them in a bit at a time in sections, the number of tracks available to work with is a severe limitation and a constant annoyance past a certain point in a project.

RealBand has a lot of useful or interesting tools built in that you don`t mention,  but a lot of them are kind of obscure. I don't think that I would ever restrict myself to just RealBand, but if I had unlimited tracks, the ability to easily fit saved midi patterns to chords (without creating a jillion special purpose styles), and, above all, the ability to fit BiaB accompaniment to *my* groove, I'd have a lot less reason to look elsewhere.