Chord symbols on the main display window (chord sheet) #BiaBPrevious

sati@...

I have BIAB 2013.   I'd like to use these kinds of chord symbols on the main chord sheet:  CΔ, Co (7), Cø7, C-7, etc.    Is this possible?
I figured out how to do this in the Lead Sheet window, but not the main window.   I've been using BIAB for a few years but not intensively.
Now I'm getting back to using it much more often.   I'm primarily using it for backing tracks for guitar.
I am considering upgrading to the newest version.

David H. Bailey

On 3/28/2021 1:24 PM, sati@sti.net wrote:
I have BIAB 2013.   I'd like to use these kinds of chord symbols on the main chord sheet: CΔ, C^o (7), Cø7,C-7, etc.    Is this possible?
I figured out how to do this in the Lead Sheet window, but not the main window.   I've been using BIAB for a few years but not intensively.
Now I'm getting back to using it much more often.   I'm primarily using it for backing tracks for guitar.
I am considering upgrading to the newest version.
With the triangle, do you mean Cmaj7? Just enter that in the chord place.

Cmaj7

Cdim should give you the C diminished 7th

Cm7b5 will give you the half-diminished 7th

Cm7 for C minor 7th

There is a help file you can read to learn those things.

Also in the Window menu is an option called "Chord Builder" -- if you opwn that you will be able to see all the chord types that BIAB has to offer. In the middle part of the Chord Builder dialog in the "Extension" section is a drop-down menu which shows "Maj" -- if you click on the down-arrow beside that you will see a list of all the possible chord extensions you can use in BIAB.

sati@...

David, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I know how to enter the chords and extensions in the main window (been doing it for a few decades),
but my question was really about how to display these types of symbols in the main window: CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7.
I can display those symbols in the Lead Sheet window, but haven't figured out how to do it in the main window.  (It just takes up less space in the measure and gives a less cluttered chart.)
Does anyone know if this is possible?

David H. Bailey

On 3/29/2021 12:53 PM, sati@sti.net wrote:
David, thanks for your reply.
Yes, I know how to enter the chords and extensions in the main window (been doing it for a few decades),
but my question was really about how to display these types of symbols in the main window: CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7.
I can display those symbols in the Lead Sheet window, but haven't figured out how to do it in the main window.  (It just takes up less space in the measure and gives a less cluttered chart.)
Does anyone know if this is possible?
I do not see any way to change the display of the chords in the main chord entry screen.

sati@...

The picture above shows the chord symbols I asked about.  CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7.
The picture is from BIAB help file under "import".  I accidentally found it while I was searching for something else.
This shows that it is possible to use typical jazz chord symbols in the main window of BIAB.
But how do you do it?
Thanks for any comments.

David H. Bailey

On 3/30/2021 3:52 PM, sati@sti.net wrote:
The picture above shows the chord symbols I asked about.  CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7.
The picture is from BIAB help file under "import".  I accidentally found it while I was searching for something else.
This shows that it is possible to use typical jazz chord symbols in the main window of BIAB.
But how do you do it?
Thanks for any comments.

If you look in the Help file, search for Chord Display you can find out more.

I'm glad you asked again -- I've learned something new.

Open the Preferences dialog and click on the Display tab.

In the right-hand column is a listing of options -- find the one that says "Chord Sheet Font." To the right of that is a panel which probably shows "BigBand Chords." If you click the down-arrow to open up that list you'll see different options for chord display. Select "Jazz Chords" and you'll get the symbols you're looking for.

Lee Griffith

To change the display options, go to preferences then display options and then you can choose jazz fonts and you will see that Cmaj7 gets displayed with a triangle. You can see if other symbols meet your needs.

-Lee

On Mar 30, 2021, at 3:52 PM, sati@... wrote:

The picture above shows the chord symbols I asked about.  CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7.
The picture is from BIAB help file under "import".  I accidentally found it while I was searching for something else.
This shows that it is possible to use typical jazz chord symbols in the main window of BIAB.
But how do you do it?
Thanks for any comments.

sati@...

OK, I found it!!
Right click on the main display window in the chord area > Preferences > Display options > Chord sheet fonts > Jazz chord symbols.
This will give you chord symbols displayed as:   CΔ7, Co (7), Cø7,C-7, for Cmaj7, Cdim7, Cm7b5, Cm7 respectively.
Much more compact notation.   I like it!   Now onward to making my backing tracks.

trombinacoulos1@...

Hello,

I'm on a Mac:
Lead sheet window->Opt->Notation Options...->click "Jazz Symbols Font"
Chord Sheet Window: Preferences->Display Options->Chordsheet Font-> select "Jazz Chord Symbols