Changing meter and style within song #BiaB2021

Don Jordan

I want to begin a jazz tune in 3/4 and after one chorus, change the meter to 4/4. I can't work out how to change the meter at the measure I want it to begin at. I can press F5 and change the beats per bar to 4, but that doesn't work. I assume I have to choose one of the 'waltz' styles to begin with and then change to a jazz style for the 4/4. I can't get that to happen either. Following the manual instructions doesn't work. What should I be doing, please?

David H. Bailey

On 7/19/2021 8:24 AM, Don Jordan wrote:
I want to begin a jazz tune in 3/4 and after one chorus, change the meter to 4/4. I can't work out how to change the meter at the measure I want it to begin at. I can press F5 and change the beats per bar to 4, but that doesn't work. I assume I have to choose one of the 'waltz' styles to begin with and then change to a jazz style for the 4/4. I can't get that to happen either. Following the manual instructions doesn't work. What should I be doing, please?
To do what you want to do you will need to copy/paste the first chorus further down the song. So if your first chorus is bars 1-32, then copy and paste it into bars 33-64. Then you can start in 3/4 (with a waltz style or simply a 4/4 style where you use F5 to define only 3 beats in a bar), and then you can change to 4/4 at bar 33 and change the style at that point in the song.

But you can't have different settings for the different times through the same measures (e.g. 1-32).

Don Jordan

Thanks, David. I'd actually copied and pasted those first 64 measures and made the second lot the repeated ones, but I couldn't seem to get the  meter to change from 3/4 to 4/4. I thought I'd done the right thing, but it wouldn't work. I did have different styles chosen for the two sections, but when I used the same style for both and just changed the beats/measure setting it all works. Don't ask me what happened!! Thank you for your help.

Monty Harris

The way it worked for me was to initialize the tune as 4/4 and then at the first bar change the meter to 3/4...you can see the time signature changes on the snapshot I have attached. I don't know whether this method works on the 2021 ver.

 I work with a vocalist during the high season - I live in Mexico. Usually we have a trio but with the Covid pandemic it was just her and I and BIAB. There were so many issues with the 2020 version that I went back to the 2019 version. A couple of major issues were changing the song from jazz to a latin feel. Sometimes the drums would change to latin and the bass would play swing. Another issue was the drum fills. They would just show up anywhere. I had to go through all 187 tunes in her repertoire and change the drums to simple and at every part marker disable the drum fill.

Good luck with your time change...Monty

Leighton Cooper

OK I'm going to bback you up to helping to get clarification.  On the Atari ST they had a program DR T's Keyboar Sequencing Level II and they had a conductor track.  Does Biab have the equivalent?  In what way could Biab's conductor track which is called ? do time signature changes?  does it always have to be an even time signature, or can I plus and - What I would do is create a marker at the spot a measure before you want to introduce your time change, if you wanted to change your instrument, you could also add a PG, I think that is the midi code for program change and it would do it silently before it played.  Then get others to help you from there.