Biab 2021 vs BIAB 2018 for comping

maurice.sings@...

Hi,

I am a jazz vocalist and use BIAB 2018 to comp while I am practicing.  Would I gain much by taking advantage of the mid-year sale PG just announced and upgrade to BIAB 2021 with the ULTRAPAK and all XTRA styles ($299USD) ?

Would it run well on my UX30 Asus laptop with an Intel m3-6y30 @ 0.90 GHz and 8 GBytes ram?

Thanks,

Maurice

Leighton Cooper

  Hi Maurice I just uipgraded Biab to 2021 and purchased the xtra style packs and the pro series.  Biab is like a jukebox.  In fact it has one built in so you can audition the demos.  Part of Biab is discovering  styles you didn't even know existed and then try to find the artist's who make that style.  Also they have pages dedicated to the people who made Biab Real Tracks.  So when you buy Biab you are buying into an ecosystem..  There is also Bob Norton who publishes Biab fakebooks.  But I don't have enough money to do that.  But he's there also with alternate styles.

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 09:37:31 AM PDT, <maurice.sings@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am a jazz vocalist and use BIAB 2018 to comp while I am practicing.  Would I gain much by taking advantage of the mid-year sale PG just announced and upgrade to BIAB 2021 with the ULTRAPAK and all XTRA styles ($299USD) ?

Would it run well on my UX30 Asus laptop with an Intel m3-6y30 @ 0.90 GHz and 8 GBytes ram?

Thanks,

Maurice

Arthur Trinchera

I wish Biab sold real styles by style categories. That's the biggest thing that keeps me from upgrading the real tracks is that there are so many I will never ever use. I'd love to just be able to purchase all the jazz, funk
and blues instead of a ton of styles I'll never use. I mean the option to do it either way would be great.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021, 9:35 PM Leighton Cooper <methodman3000@...> wrote:
[...]

Kelvin Green

I've been using BIAB for several years, and update every year. Yes, there are thousands of styles, but it's so enlightening to be able to try well known songs with completely different styles. e.g. heavy rock as a ballad, worship songs with a reggae style. Endless opportunities.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, 08:23 Arthur Trinchera, <a.trinchera@...> wrote:
[...]

Biab 2020 and 2021 both added many features to their software.  They state what they are on video's found on the pgmusic website under support/videos.  They however go really frast.  So I actually get a clipboard and paper and write out what they say, so that I can get an idea of why an idea was invented.  I in the past have only upgraded every five years or so.  But because 2020 was a huge release I bought it normally at Christmas time, but this year the 2021 version was also big.  and they offered a 25% discount based on the mac version, which I don't use, I use windows I purchased their goodies.  They also have a chord analyzer too, so You could load in a song (Jazz) that you like and get out a chord sheet that you could them premise how you are going to develop your vocal sections.  So that's a good feature, they have that Copy That software tool also, or there is deCoda from a different vendor.  Which will break your samples up into phrases,  create the time signature, show you what key it's in.  Slow the tempo down but keep it in the same key.  Which are very useful.  What style of Jazz vocals do you sing?

Roland Lenges

Hello,

I don’t now. I haven’t buy the Ultra Pak. But the BIAB 2021 is verry good.

Envoyé de mon iPad

Le 7 juin 2021 à 18:34, maurice.sings@... a écrit :

Hi,

I am a jazz vocalist and use BIAB 2018 to comp while I am practicing.  Would I gain much by taking advantage of the mid-year sale PG just announced and upgrade to BIAB 2021 with the ULTRAPAK and all XTRA styles ($299USD) ?

Would it run well on my UX30 Asus laptop with an Intel m3-6y30 @ 0.90 GHz and 8 GBytes ram?

Thanks,

Maurice

maurice.sings@...

Thanks for the info.  Would I get a better deal by waiting until Christmas? I also get the feeling my 0.9 GHz laptop would be straining.  I sing standards, some vocalese, occasionally scat bebop.

Cheers,

Maurice

Chuck Wiggins

For comping only, I can’t see a big advantage in upgrading. I don’t think there are any new features that facilitate that. I see the biggest advantages in upgrading from the pro to ultra parks are in getting a big variety of RealTracks, but I think you get a decent set of those to start with in the ProPak. For comping it’s mostly about your chord progression anyway.

On Jun 9, 2021, at 11:08 AM, maurice.sings@... wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Would I get a better deal by waiting until Christmas? I also get the feeling my 0.9 GHz laptop would be straining.  I sing standards, some vocalese, occasionally scat bebop.

Cheers,

Maurice

Craig Mullen

My experience is that unless you have really good computer you may not get great performance.

The question I always ask myself before an upgrade or new purchase is: Have I fully made use of the existing capabilities of the software/hardware I already have?

BIAB is very rich in features.  Few people can say that they have mastered all the bells and whistles before forking over the cash for the next version.

Craig Mullen

On 6/9/21 11:08 AM, maurice.sings@... wrote:
Thanks for the info.  Would I get a better deal by waiting until Christmas? I also get the feeling my 0.9 GHz laptop would be straining.  I sing standards, some vocalese, occasionally scat bebop.

Cheers,

Maurice

Chuck Wiggins

If your current hardware is working with 2018 BIAB I think you'd be OK with the new 2021 version. Unless you are recording audio, my impression (as a 30 year software engineer) is that the only drawback with a slower processor is that BIAB will take longer to render an arrangement. It's not a real time app, unless you are recording audio. For any audio recording, I use a DAW.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 6:02 PM Craig Mullen via groups.io <craig_m57=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

My experience is that unless you have really good computer you may not get great performance.

The question I always ask myself before an upgrade or new purchase is: Have I fully made use of the existing capabilities of the software/hardware I already have?

BIAB is very rich in features.  Few people can say that they have mastered all the bells and whistles before forking over the cash for the next version.

Craig Mullen

On 6/9/21 11:08 AM, maurice.sings@... wrote:
Thanks for the info.  Would I get a better deal by waiting until Christmas? I also get the feeling my 0.9 GHz laptop would be straining.  I sing standards, some vocalese, occasionally scat bebop.

Cheers,

Maurice

David H. Bailey

On 6/9/2021 6:02 PM, Craig Mullen via groups.io wrote:
My experience is that unless you have really good computer you may not get great performance.
True, but if 2018 is working, then 2021 should also work fine, as there hasn't been any great improvement in the processing power of BIAB.

The question I always ask myself before an upgrade or new purchase is: Have I fully made use of the existing capabilities of the software/hardware I already have?
BIAB is very rich in features.  Few people can say that they have mastered all the bells and whistles before forking over the cash for the next version.
[snip]
What I find with BIAB is that it's the new styles that attract me, not the bells and whistles. When I upgrade it's to find new styles that will better fit the songs I'm playing (or creating backups for my students).

For me the core purpose of the program hasn't improved in many many years. Not since the real styles got sorted out and BIAB was programmed to handle them better. And before that nothing that changed how I have used the program since I bought my first version many many years ago. Back when there were just the built-in styles available.

For me the decision to upgrade hardware/software isn't so much "Have I mastered what I already have?" as much as "How much can the new hardware/software improve my workflow or give me new opportunities the my current stuff can't offer?"

E.J. K.

If I waited until I had made full use of the existing capabilities, I'd still be on BIAB version 2....

On 06/10/2021 04:42 AM, David H. Bailey wrote:

On 6/9/2021 6:02 PM, Craig Mullen via groups.io wrote:
The question I always ask myself before an upgrade or new purchase is: Have I fully made use of the existing capabilities of the software/hardware I already have? BIAB is very rich in features.  Few people can say that they have mastered all the bells and whistles before forking over the cash for the next version.

Leighton Cooper

Yeah I agree the smartest thing I've done in my life is to order software before I knew how to use it.    Biab has many videos on PGMusic .com support video's but some you will have to divide a page into 16 squares per side just to get the amount of features that are explained rapidly.  I do a lot of tape stopping.

sahunb608@...