Avid/Sibelius issues on Mac

Mark L

Please excuse a somewhat off-topic post, but since many fellow BIAB users also use notation software (e.g., Sibelius) and/or other Avid products I'm hoping someone can help with a Sibelius problem I have been having.

I have been running Sibelius First (current version) on a Mac (Big Sur OS).  Recently most of Sibelius's functionality stopped working, and the app indicated that it was in Review Mode and that I needed to be logged into Avid Link to use it.  However, I was logged into Avid Link at the time.  I tried getting Sibelius running by re-synching Avid Link, closing and reopening both apps, logging out of and back into Avid Link, and rebooting the Mac, none of which worked.  I tried Avid's support channels including its knowledge base and came up empty.  I considered uninstalling/reinstalling both apps (and may wind up trying that), but I'm skeptical as to whether that would help because Avid Link appears to be working properly, and Sibelius works except for the disabled functionality.

If anyone has had this problem or otherwise has ideas, please let me know.  I have lots of Sibelius files that I notated over may years, so I'd prefer not to start over with another notation program if I can avoid it.

Thanks

David H. Bailey

There is an Avid/Sibelius users group on FaceBook which has a couple of representatives from Avid to offer help and advice -- you should consider joining that group. Many people in that group have been having issues such as yours.

David

On 10/11/2021 5:14 PM, Mark L wrote:
Please excuse a somewhat off-topic post, but since many fellow BIAB users also use notation software (e.g., Sibelius) and/or other Avid products I'm hoping someone can help with a Sibelius problem I have been having.
I have been running Sibelius First (current version) on a Mac (Big Sur OS).  Recently most of Sibelius's functionality stopped working, and the app indicated that it was in Review Mode and that I needed to be logged into Avid Link to use it.  However, I was logged into Avid Link at the time.  I tried getting Sibelius running by re-synching Avid Link, closing and reopening both apps, logging out of and back into Avid Link, and rebooting the Mac, none of which worked.  I tried Avid's support channels including its knowledge base and came up empty.  I considered uninstalling/reinstalling both apps (and may wind up trying that), but I'm skeptical as to whether that would help because Avid Link appears to be working properly, and Sibelius works except for the disabled functionality.
If anyone has had this problem or otherwise has ideas, please let me know.  I have lots of Sibelius files that I notated over may years, so I'd prefer not to start over with another notation program if I can avoid it.
Thanks
--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Mark L

Thanks, David.  I'm not on Facebook, but I'll ask someone who is to look in that group.

roderick5828

I have had similar issues with My MacBook and Sibelius First. The problem seems to relate to Avid link, usually after an update. Logging out and back in to Avid Link usually resolved the issue but not on every occasion. The last time I had to delete and reinstall Avidlink before it would recognise my copy of Sibelius.

Roddy,

Mark L

Thanks, Roddy - much appreciated.  I tried that, and it worked.