Topics

Any tips on organising styles ?

Frank Hand

Hi Alisdair,

A couple of comments...

(1) As far as I know, and I'm no expert here, the number of styles
which can be included in the Style Picker Window varies with your
version of Band-in-a-Box. I think the limit increased again for
BB10, but can't remember where the limit currently stands.

(2) When adding your own new styles to the list there is an
alternative to editing the BBW.LST file. That is to create new *.LS3
files in the same format. That's what Bob "Notes" Norton does for
his styles. I've tried it myself and it works just fine. By keeping
your own styles in a separate list, you don't risk overwriting them,
if you happen to install a new PG Music stlyes disk. (Installing new
Styles Disks usually overwrites your existing BBW.LST file, although
you are advised to make a backup of this file before you install.)

(3) I have Denis Ladouceur's Style Librarian. It only costs $10 and
I find it quite a handy tool. Although it is easy enough to
hand-code your BBW.LST or *.LS3 files, the Style Librarian makes it a
much simpler process when you want to copy styles into different
Style categories etc. I would certainly recommend it.

Frank Hand

--- Alisdair MacRae Birch <alisdair@...> wrote: > Folks

Has anyone any tips on organising styles ? I would like to put
together an FAQ for newbies on styles.

My thoughts and understanding (please tell me if I'm wrong!)

1. All styles must be stored in the Band-in-a-Box root directory so
the program can find them (c:&#92;bb).

2. To incorporate new styles into Band-in-a-Box, edit the bbw.lst,
which also must be placed in the Band-in-a-Box root directory so
the program can find it (c:&#92;bb). To quote from PG Music's FAQ:

You may edit this file to change the information, add/remove styles
etc.

Any line beginning with a semicolon ";" is a comment
Lines beginning with ~ indicate a new category like jazz, country,
pop
Lines beginning with @ are a description of a style in the format
@a&#92;b^c*d
a=style file name eg. zzjazzsw.sty (max. 8 chars + .sty )
b= Long Style Name e.g. Jazz Swing Style (max. 32 chars)
c = memo
d= examples of songs that can be played in this style
c and d combined can be max. 255 chars, e.g. c could be 200 chars
and
d could be 50.

Each style description must be on one-line, carriage returns are
not allowed in the middle of a style description.
Once made, you add the new information to the style picker by
choosing the re-build option inside the style picker. This rebuilds
the binary file bbw.lsb from this file bbw.lst.

You can list a style more than once, for example Pop Ballad might
be listed under Jazz and Pop Ballad.
You can make your own categories. Like My Favorite styles, and
build up a list.
Example excerpt from the BBW.LST file:

~Jazz
@ZZJazzSW.STY&#92;Jazz Swing Style^This is the "built-in jazz swing
style"using bass, drums and piano. Bass plays half notes in 'a'
section and walks in 'b' section.*Satin Doll, Sweet Georgia Brown
@A.STY&#92;This is A^ How about this A style Useful for A songs
@BluHill.sty&#92;Blueberry Hill Style^This is Blueberry Hill*Fats
Domino songs
@GARNER.STY&#92;Errol Garner Style^This is garner*I'll Remember april
@GARNER2.STY&#92;Errol Garner Style #2^This style is in 2 feel for a
and b*Sunny Side of The Street

3. There is a limit to the number of style files (255 ?) that can
be included.

4. PG Music make their latest BBW.LST available for download from:
Go to: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_miscellaneous.htm

5. Denis Laadouceur has a program called The Style Librarian
currently at version 1.5 and available from
http://www.aei.ca/~denisl
which helps organise styles.

Has any one any comments, additions etc ?

---alisdair

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>

At 10:31 AM 1/21/01 -0800, Frank Hand <handfp@...> wrote:
(2) When adding your own new styles to the list there is an
alternative to editing the BBW.LST file. That is to create new *.LS3
files in the same format. That's what Bob "Notes" Norton does for
his styles. I've tried it myself and it works just fine. By keeping
your own styles in a separate list, you don't risk overwriting them,
if you happen to install a new PG Music stlyes disk. (Installing new
Styles Disks usually overwrites your existing BBW.LST file, although
you are advised to make a backup of this file before you install.)
That is exactly what I do. Once again, let me remind you that if you have
all of PG Music's styles, they won't show up. This is true whether or not
you use .ls3 or if you edit the bbw.lst file.

PG is working on this.

Bob "Notes" Norton
owner, Norton Music
norton@...
http://www.nortonmusic.com

FREE Midi Files ... Band-in-a-Box improvement software ... links to MIDI
file search pages ... download and print sheet music directly from the web
... a few jokes to brighten your day ... and some way cool stuff of
interest to musicians!!!