#BiaB2021 #midi #WindowsUsers #WindowsUsers #BiaB2021 #midi

Terry Mcelroy

Thanks, I’ll try that. I’m not that familiar with synths. In the past, I’ve always used real tracks with the exception of melody and soloist which worked pretty well for me. I realize now with the utility tracks, I have a lot to learn about MIDI. But I did make one discovery since the last post. I was able to copy the utility track to both the melody and soloist track.  I checked the merged data button so the MIDI notes were transferred and integrated with the original melody notes and they did play without a problem. So at least I don’t have to transcribe those notes by hand. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Chuck Wiggins

Terry, did you try going to the "Plugins" tab and selecting/reselecting the default synth there? There are a few other options in that dropdown, like forcing it to a MIDI channel or specific MIDI plugin

Terry Mcelroy

Thank you very much for your response.

I found out where I went wrong. As you said, you have to select a MIDI instrument (patch). What I did, incorrectly, was record some MIDI notes in utility #1 before I selected the MIDI instrument option. And what I’ve discovered is you cannot go back and select a MIDI instrument once you have notes in the track. (At least I couldn’t go back and select a MIDI patch)

There doesn’t seem to be a way to copy and paste the notation from or into a utility track (unlike the melody and soloist track where you can use copy special to copy and paste select bars). So, I took a picture of the notation line and I’m going to manually enter them into utility #2 - after I select the MIDI patch. I’m in the process of doing that now so I hope it works.

To me it looks like there’s no way to select a MIDI patch after the notes are in the track. (They’ll show up but they won’t play)

It also looks like there’s no way to copy and paste MIDI notation from specific bars to specific bars in a utility track. (I hope BIAB expands the copy special to include MIDI utility tracks in the future) I noticed you can copy a whole track, which is helpful, but I was hoping to just copy specific bars of notation.

I tried to cheat and I selected a MIDI patch for a new utility track, but when I tried to copy utility #1 track to the new MIDI instrument utility track, it would paste but again wouldn’t play - I think it took the settings from the track I copied from and ignored that I had designated it as a MIDI instrument patch.

So I learned my lesson. This time I’m going to manually enter the MIDI notes into a new instrument MIDI patch track, and in the future, I’ll know to always select MIDI instrument before recording any MIDI notes.

Thanks again

Terry

David H. Bailey

On 3/4/2021 8:39 PM, Terry Mcelroy via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I was hoping someone might be familiar with a problem I'm having in BIAB 2021 - windows.
I’ve managed to record some MIDI notes in utility 1 track. But when I try to playback the recorded MIDI notes. I get no sound. The notes are playing back red, as normal, but I can’t get the sound to play.
I suspect I haven’t assigned an instrument (like an acoustic piano) to utility 1 track, but I don’t see how to do it. It doesn’t seem to give me the option to select a MIDI instrument (only real tracks)
The soloist and the melody are also both MIDI and they seem to play fine.
I reinstalled the latest update, but it doesn’t help.
I’d be grateful for any advice.
[snip]

I haven't recorded anything in the track, but I can see how to assign it a MIDI instrument. I can't seem to do anything with editing that track if I'm using an external keyboard for the MIDI-in and MIDI-out. But with soft-synths this seems like it should work:

1) be sure the mixer window is showing
2) click on the "eye" icon which shows a list of potential tracks that can be displayd. The normal ones should be checked. Be sure that Utility Track #1 is checked.
3) you should now see that track showing in the mixer view
4) the default synth should be showing in that track. I've got the TTS-1 selected for midi output. If you have something else selected for midi output that should show as the default synth.
5) right-click anywhere on the Utility Track #1 line in the Mixer and select "Select MIDI Instrument (Patch)"
6) that will open up a list of things to choose from to select the patch you want for that track.

As I said I haven't recorded any MIDI data in that track so I can't verify that what I've outlined will actually work, but at least it seems to give the ability to do what you're asking about.

Terry Mcelroy

Hi,

I was hoping someone might be familiar with a problem I'm having in BIAB 2021 - windows.

I’ve managed to record some MIDI notes in utility 1 track. But when I try to playback the recorded MIDI notes. I get no sound. The notes are playing back red, as normal, but I can’t get the sound to play.

I suspect I haven’t assigned an instrument (like an acoustic piano) to utility 1 track, but I don’t see how to do it. It doesn’t seem to give me the option to select a MIDI instrument (only real tracks)

The soloist and the melody are also both MIDI and they seem to play fine.

I reinstalled the latest update, but it doesn’t help.

I’d be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Terry