Soft synth TTS-1

IAN GRAHAM

Can I confirm if I'm understanding this right ? The following summary is partly what has already been said, and partly based on my own experience, and what I've read online:

TTS-1 is a fairly elderly but quite respected GM softsynth. It currently comes bundled with Bandcamp.

What this means is that there is a TTS-1.dll somewhere in the Bandcamp package.

Can this, therefore, once found, be used independently of Bandcamp i.e. imported into Biab directly, or made standalone with something like Savihost or Nanohost ?

Ian G

Wales UK

On 04/02/2021 14:36, royjamie@... wrote:
Good day
Further to David's response re Bandlab.& TTS-1
TTS-1 works well with Bandlab installed. The question I have is: can Bandlab be uninstalled  after TTS-1 is installed and will it continue to function normally?
Regards

David H. Bailey

On 2/5/2021 10:19 PM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
Can I confirm if I'm understanding this right ? The following summary is partly what has already been said, and partly based on my own experience, and what I've read online:
TTS-1 is a fairly elderly but quite respected GM softsynth. It currently comes bundled with Bandcamp.
What this means is that there is a TTS-1.dll somewhere in the Bandcamp package.
Can this, therefore, once found, be used independently of Bandcamp i.e. imported into Biab directly, or made standalone with something like Savihost or Nanohost ?
The location of the .dll file is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\TTS-1

Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location. Then I had BIAB search for new plugins. Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it is in its original installation folder. There must be other files that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation.

But for most people it's not a big deal since hard-drives these days are so cheap and large that installing Cakewalk and not using it other than to have the TTS-1 soft-synth available for use in BIAB.

I can't say whether it could be used as a standalone in Savihost or Nanohost, but apparently it can't be used at all if not in the original installation location.

dhbailey@davidbaileymusicstudio.com

IAN GRAHAM

Thanks, David.

That sounds very much as if there is a deliberate spoiler in there
somewhere - my experience is that *.dll soundfonts are usually very
tolerant of being copied around, provided the computer recognises them.
i.e. Some need a specific installation, many don't.

Cheers

Ian G.

On 06/02/2021 12:33, David H. Bailey wrote:
[...]

Michael Payne

Many thanks too you Ian

On 6 Feb 2021, at 12:50, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

D F Tweedie

I was going to chime in on this before but hesitated because I was uncertain whether the TTS-1 was VSTi or DXi. Were it VSTi I'd agree with Ian that it should be no issue where you place it as long as you can find/ remember that path so you can find it from within the BIAB settings. With DXi I'm not so sure.

There is another issue, however. With a VSTi the *.dll (Dynamic Link Library) is a front end. That is, I don't believe it typically contains the actual content producing the audio. A CD player without a CD is the idea. Therefore it also requires a path to its 'CDs.' So in order for it to work a dll itself can also require a path to its content. Most more recent softsynths expose under settings/ options access to change that path ... but some older ones may not.

But then you must also identify where the TTS-1 'CDs' were installed with Cakewalk and not move or delete them if you want to try to install the rest of the program.

And as David said, there is generally no need to uninstall Cakewalk any way. It probably doesn't use much space and won't interfere with other things on your computer when it is not open.

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, 4:50:11 AM PST, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham@...> wrote:

Thanks, David.

That sounds very much as if there is a deliberate spoiler in there
somewhere - my experience is that *.dll soundfonts are usually very
tolerant of being copied around, provided the computer recognises them.
i.e. Some need a specific installation, many don't.

Cheers

Ian G.

On 06/02/2021 12:33, David H. Bailey wrote:
> On 2/5/2021 10:19 PM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
>> Can I confirm if I'm understanding this right ? The following summary
>> is partly what has already been said, and partly based on my own
>> experience, and what I've read online:
>>
>> TTS-1 is a fairly elderly but quite respected GM softsynth. It
>> currently comes bundled with Bandcamp.
>>
>> What this means is that there is a TTS-1.dll somewhere in the
>> Bandcamp package.
>>
>> Can this, therefore, once found, be used independently of Bandcamp
>> i.e. imported into Biab directly, or made standalone with something
>> like Savihost or Nanohost ?
>>

> The location of the .dll file is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared
> DXi\TTS-1
>
> Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a
> different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that
> BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location.  Then I had BIAB
> search for new plugins.  Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it
> is in its original installation folder.  There must be other files
> that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is
> installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation.
>
> But for most people it's not a big deal since hard-drives these days
> are so cheap and large that installing Cakewalk and not using it other
> than to have the TTS-1 soft-synth available for use in BIAB.
>
> I can't say whether it could be used as a standalone in Savihost or
> Nanohost, but apparently it can't be used at all if not in the
> original installation location.

IAN GRAHAM

Makes sense, DFT ! I think this is essentially what I was reflecting in saying some need to be installed and some don't, but I can well believe that age/vintage may also be a factor. The whole area is a bit of a minefield, which is why , as I said earlier, I eventually cut my losses, except for the very few I both liked and could get to work for me.

Ian G.

On 06/02/2021 18:10, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
> [...]

> DXi\TTS-1
>
> Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a
> different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that
> BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location.  Then I had BIAB
> search for new plugins.  Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it
> is in its original installation folder.  There must be other files
> that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is
> installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation.
>
> But for most people it's not a big deal since hard-drives these days
> are so cheap and large that installing Cakewalk and not using it other
> than to have the TTS-1 soft-synth available for use in BIAB.
>
> I can't say whether it could be used as a standalone in Savihost or
> Nanohost, but apparently it can't be used at all if not in the

rkl122

Edited

"....Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location. Then I had BIAB search for new plugins. Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it is in its original installation folder. There must be other files that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation....."

No, it doesn't need to be in the Cakewalk installation folder.  What it does need is to be registered.  I haven't followed these TTS-1 threads fully, but I suspect some confusion will be cleared by perusing  this link , including the link contained therein.

TTS-1, as supplied with the current Cakewalk by Bandlab, is a 64 bit DXi plugin.  If you've installed it by installing cakewalk, but only want it for use in  BB, try this:

(1. Install Cakewalk by Bandlab)
2. Copy the TTS-1 folder to where you want it (preferably not a VST folder simply because it's not a VST).
3. Uninstall Cakewalk
4. Open a command window as administrator.
5. Change the current directory to
%systemroot%\SysWoW64\  where %systemroot% is the root directory of your windows installation drive.
6. Execute this line:
regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\TTS-1\TTS-1.dll"
where the address between the quotes is the full address of where you put the TTS-1.dll .
7. Open BiaB and "find" the TTS-1 plugin.  Set it as the default synth.

If the above does NOT work, please post whatever error message you get.  Note that regsvr32 is a 32 bit program, but will run under Win10 64 bit.  Don't be confused by the fact that regsvr32 is 32 bit and regsvr64 (found in another directory in the root tree, is 64.  Either should register a DX dll in a Windows(64bit) registry.  EDIT Actually both versions are named regsvr32.  It’s their directories that differ.  On 64 bit Windows, I believe either will work.  Sorry for misinformation.

This is the so called "manual registration" method for dll files.  As JFord says in the link above, windows registration is required for dll's that are DXi's but is frequently also used for VST's, primarily so hosts can check that they're properly licensed.  You usually don't "see" registration happen, because plugins are usually installed automatically by the host apps they come with.

If you are still running BiaB as 32 bit, then you'll need the 32 bit TTS-1.  I don't know whether Cakewalk by Bandlab currently supplies the 32 bit version, but I imagine it's available somewhere.

Hope this helps someone.
-Ron

D F Tweedie

Besides backing up my files I always try to keep a spare programmer handy.

Thanks, Ron!

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, 3:47:15 PM PST, rkl122 <rkl122@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

2. Copy the TTS-1 dll to where you want it (preferably not a VST folder simply because it's not a VST).
[...]

rob

wow I thought I started some of the talks on cakewalk too ,really good to hear all your advice      rob !

On Saturday, February 6, 2021, 11:59:49 p.m. EST, rkl122 <rkl122@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Wow, Ron, Thank You!

Or should I say SysWow64, Ron, Thank You!

I think I've forgotten more than I ever learned about DOS but I am very glad you took the time to explain that and include the actual paths and command.

Following your advice to the letter I was able to register TTS-1.dll in its new location on my hard drive, so it's outside the Cakewalk installation folder. I was trying to do that just as an exercise, and I didn't really mind being forced to keep it in its original installation location but I tested your advice and it worked like a charm!

There is a 13.5MB .dat file in the TTS-1 folder, which I am guessing is where the sound data is stored for the .dll file to call upon. So my advice to people who install Cakewalk just to get the TTS-1 soft-synth to use within BIAB is to copy or move the entire TTS-1 folder from within the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\" folder and don't just copy or move the .dll file.

Then once people have followed Ron's clearly stated steps to register the new location they can delete the Cakewalk installation if they don't want to use it as a DAW, and end up with an excellent soft-synth to use with BIAB. And the latency with it is fairly low -- it's not adjustable but it's only 30ms. A quarter note at a tempo of quarter=120 is 500ms, an 8th note is 250ms, a 16th note is 125 ms (which is just over the latency which BIAB suggests for VST soft synths, making those harder to work with), a 32nd note is 62.5ms, a 64th note is 31.25ms -- a latency slightly less than a 64th note's worth is often better than what happens in a bar band, certainly usable even if not perfect.

Again, a big tip of the hat and a thank you to Ron for showing us the way to continue to use TTS-1 without having the complete Cakewalk installation if we don't wish to keep it on our computers.

David

On 2/6/2021 6:25 PM, rkl122 wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
"....Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location. Then I had BIAB search for new plugins. Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it is in its original installation folder. There must be other files that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation....."
No, it doesn't need to be in the Cakewalk installation folder.  What it *does* need is to be registered.  I haven't followed these TTS-1 threads fully, but I suspect some confusion will be cleared by perusing this link <https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=514039&Searchpage=1&Main=74183&Words=%22DXDXi+versus%22&Search=true#Post514006> , including the link contained therein.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 02:12 AM, David H. Bailey wrote:
"There is a 13.5MB .dat file in the TTS-1 folder, which I am guessing is where the sound data is stored for the .dll file to call upon. So my advice to people who install Cakewalk just to get the TTS-1 soft-synth to use within BIAB is to copy or move the entire TTS-1 folder from within the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXi\" folder and don't just copy or move the .dll file."
David I see you were following my post as written before I edited line 2. to state that, yes, it's the whole folder that should be moved/copied, not just the dll file.  Very sorry to cause extra work.  The main point of DX registration is to not only inform Windows where the dll is, but also to permit access to any associated files, which the protocol assumes (I suppose) are in the same folder as the dll itself.

Anyway, glad it worked out.

DFT - Just a sometime hobby programmer.  Been using Cakewalk since it was pure MIDI and BB from its beginning as well.  Upgrade every year.  As aggravating as they can be to use, I'm fascinated by the technology and want to support BB's growth.  With every upgrade, I hope they'll have added the one ingredient that you guys already have: talent.  :)

-Ron

David H. Bailey <dhbailey@...>

For the TTS-1 with all of its sounds, it's not a very big .dll so I am guessing that somehow there is a library of sounds which is part of the package but not installed in the same folder with the TTS-1.dll file. And I am guessing that the .dll is searching for those data files for the actual sounds using some sort of regressive tree structure rather than specific paths but that's just a wild guess.

It matters not -- it only works from the original installation folder so somehow it's linked to other files within that installation folder.

I know that most VST and DXi plugins are self-contained or at least have all their data within the same local folder but apparently that's not the case this time.

But at least now we know that the original installation needs to be kept intact. Unless someone with deeper knowledge of these things can find out more.

In any event, I am very grateful for all this discussion and the followup messages because I had basically written off using the MIDI styles in my private lessons, since they're all online and I share my computer's audio with my students so I can play BIAB files and they come through my students' computers for them to practice playing jazz and improvising with. Now that I've got TTS-1 working so nicely with BIAB, I can use MIDI styles and don't have to search for substitute realstyles before playing the songs for my students.

It's been a real eye-opener, Thanks everybody!
David

On 2/6/2021 7:49 AM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
[...]

David ...

I think to be accurate we have to make a distinction between VST and VSTi with respect to your statement "most VST and DXi plugins are self-contained ..."

Your statement is generally accurate with respect to VSTs, but again, there are significant exceptions such as convolution reverbs which often have huge sample libraries from which the draw their impulse responses.

However, many if not the majority of VSTis (the 'i' stands for instrument) require additional content files that are not self-contained in their dll. The primary exception are 'synth' VSTis which rely upon algorithms, but even many of these uses samples that are not contained within the dll. Spectrasonics' Omnisphere is such an example.

http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com