From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> on behalf of rob via groups.io <gibbing08@...>
Sent: Friday, February 5, 2021 3:21 PM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io>
Subject: [Band-In-A-Box] link to cakewalk

I don't know if anybody is interested but here is a link for cakewalk"https://www.cakewalk.com/Products"]https://www.cakewalk.com/Products[/a]I dowloaded it yesterday and it's okay but not for me .There are too many bells and whistles that i would never use                                                                                                                                                                          hope this is helpful                     rob !

Steve Thomas

It's been my thought for years that Cakewalk is a DAW with capabilities on par with other top DAWs like ProTools (but not as popular), PreSonus, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, etc. But since it's free now, one might expect it to be simple to use and a bit less powerful, along the lines of Audacity.  But it's a full DAW, and the learning curve is steep.

Steve

On 2/5/2021 3:10 PM, Mr Dave wrote:
I downloaded and installed Cakewalk, but it doesn't seam to be very intuitive to use.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn the program?

Dave

--

               Steve Thomas, EMT-P
                Executive Director

David H. Bailey

On 2/5/2021 4:10 PM, Mr Dave wrote:
I downloaded and installed Cakewalk, but it doesn't seam to be very intuitive to use.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn the program?
Steve is right -- it's a very complex program. It's a full blown DigitalAudioWorkstation (DAW) of a level that professional music producers and recording engineers have used it in the creation of commercial recordings. Most of that profession has moved on to different DAWS but Cakewalk (which used to be called Cakewalk and then evolved into Sonar in various editions, all developed by Twelve Tone Systems) still remains very powerful and not intuitive (none of them are!)

You can find youtube videos on cakewalk specifically as well as more general "here's what you can do with a DAW" sorts of videos, there is a users manual you can read, and you can probably find used copies of Sonar-based aftermarket books on ebay (make sure they're books about Sonar the music program and not discussing submarine warfare), which should help get you started with Cakewalk.

Robert Lohse <plumbbobby190@...>

I am sure there is a tutorial on you tube

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 3:32:21 PM CST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:

On 2/5/2021 4:10 PM, Mr Dave wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Cakewalk, but it doesn't seam to be very
> intuitive to use.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn the program?

Steve is right -- it's a very complex program.  It's a full blown
DigitalAudioWorkstation (DAW) of a level that professional music
producers and recording engineers have used it in the creation of
commercial recordings.  Most of that profession has moved on to
different DAWS but Cakewalk (which used to be called Cakewalk and then
evolved into Sonar in various editions, all developed by Twelve Tone
Systems) still remains very powerful and not intuitive (none of them are!)

You can find youtube videos on cakewalk specifically as well as more
general "here's what you can do with a DAW" sorts of videos, there is a
users manual you can read, and you can probably find used copies of
Sonar-based aftermarket books on ebay (make sure they're books about
Sonar the music program and not discussing submarine warfare), which
should help get you started with Cakewalk.

I've used all the DAWs you mention before ultimately settling on Pro Tools and Cubase.

I found Cakewalk's Sonar to be the most convoluted and difficult to learn and soon left for greener pastures. If your goal is to master it you'd be well served to buy some of the 10 Sonar tutorial offerings on Groove3 ... or take a subscription. Here's a link to one offering.

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:15:23 PM PST, Steve Thomas <stevet@...> wrote:

[...]

Arthur Trinchera

Do you use the free Pro Tools? I've tried to get it several times but got sound card errors every time I tried to install but that was on on my older cheap HP laptop. I just got a new beefy pc. Perhaps I should try again. You said you've tried many DAWS. Have you tried Ableton. How would it compare to Pro Tools? I have the lite version that came bundled with Scarlett 2i2.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 2:38 PM D F Tweedie via groups.io <bienpegaito=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I've used ProTools before.  I did find it a bit easier to learn than Cakewalk.  And I have Ableton that came with my Scarlett too, but I never tried it.   DAWs in general have a fairly steep learning curve.  So for most of my general purpose sound recording and editing chores I've stayed with Audacity.  No, it's not a full DAW, but it does most of what I need and it is very easy to learn.

On 2/5/2021 5:31 PM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:
[...]

Hayward Martin

I'm with you on Audacity.  It's easy and it works.  But, not a DAW.