Soft synths

IAN GRAHAM

Morning all. I posted last night as a 'reply' to the thread about soft synths and 'hard' synths, and am a bit surprised not to find it in my inbox this morning, so am reposting afresh.

Like David, I’m a long-time Ketron SD2 user. But last summer for probably a couple of months I did look very seriously and widely at soft-synths. If you’d simply like an alternative to Timbres of Heaven, there’s a GM set called GeneralUser GS which you can probably find online as an sf2. There are also a couple of abandonware sets from Edirol - Edirol Orchestral and Edirol Hyper Canvas or Hypersound Canvas. They can be run as standalones, so as virtually a self-contained sound source. Another possibility to explore is that a lot of producer effort and invention now goes into ‘plugins’, and although the majority are more controller-tweaks, there are some very good sound sources. e.g. one called !Xpand2. These last three I have added to my kit, but in the end I felt that the full sound font thing was just more trouble than it was worth, and I continue to use the SD2 as my main sound box.

Ian G.

Wales UK

David H. Bailey

Ian -- thanks for making sure your message made it to the group.
The original had made it through, showing a time stamp of 4:51pm (my local time when it arrived here in New Hampshire, USA). I just wanted to reassure that it made it to the group but I can't explain why you didn't get a copy posted back to you.

David

On 2/2/2021 5:29 AM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
[...]
[snip]> _._,_._,_

Jim Mings

I am curious. Why has no one mentioned native instruments, IK ,Arturia, or Garritan for example. Am I misunderstanding the Termanology for soft synth. Jim

On Feb 2, 2021, at 5:44 AM, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Well, one part of the answer is cost !

Ian G.

On 02/02/2021 11:51, Jim Mings wrote:
[...]

Ian gave one reason (cost) but another reason (get the pun?) is that they're not all "plug and play" GM ready. At least that has been my experience. All the ones you mention are very powerful and have great sounds but for instance trying to use a muted trumpet in a GM-based soft-synth just means changing to a different patch. Trying to get a muted sound for Garritan requires activating a keyswitch.

Unless they all come with a GM mode that I'm not aware of, which may well be because I haven't spent a lot of time investigating them. I do use Garritan Personal Orchestra because it can work with Finale, but even that takes special handling to get all the desired sounds.

I've never worked with Arturia and the limited experience I've had with IK-Multimedia has been less than wonderful.

But I'm very happy to be corrected about how easy it is to use any of those with BIAB.

David

On 2/2/2021 6:51 AM, Jim Mings wrote:
[...]

Hayward Martin

I have been scanning the PGMUSIC BIAB forums an read about the Cakewalk TTS-1 synthesizer that comes with BIAB and integrates with it.   It’s not obvious (at least not to me).  This is BIAB 2021, don’t know that it’s applicable to earlier versions.

I have placed a OneDrive link below, just incase my screenshots don’t show up below, in this email…

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asf_MVrLFgfY0PEyFxMv14hu27YUIg?e=NblnSa

Below (hopefully) there’s a screenshot of MIDI Driver Tab in the Options/Preferences pull down menu.   This is  how I have my settings setup…

Now, when I go to the Mixer, Under the the PLUG-Ins Tab you can see “Default-Synth” as the first plug-in listed for each MIDI track.   If you RIGHT-CLICK on “Default-Synth”, the TTS-1 Mixer will show up.  For me, this sound incredibly better that what I’ve been dealing with previously.

Hope this helps someone!

Hayward

Ian gave one reason (cost) but another reason (get the pun?) is that
they're not all "plug and play" GM ready.  At least that has been my
experience.  All the ones you mention are very powerful and have great
sounds but for instance trying to use a muted trumpet in a GM-based
soft-synth just means changing to a different patch.  Trying to get a
muted sound for Garritan requires activating a keyswitch.

Unless they all come with a GM mode that I'm not aware of, which may
well be because I haven't spent a lot of time investigating them.  I do
use Garritan Personal Orchestra because it can work with Finale, but
even that takes special handling to get all the desired sounds.

I've never worked with Arturia and the limited experience I've had with
IK-Multimedia has been less than wonderful.

But I'm very happy to be corrected about how easy it is to use any of
those with BIAB.

David

On 2/2/2021 6:51 AM, Jim Mings wrote:
> I am curious. Why has no one mentioned native instruments, IK ,Arturia, or Garritan for example. Am I misunderstanding the Termanology for soft synth.  Jim
>> On Feb 2, 2021, at 5:44 AM, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:
>>
>> Ian -- thanks for making sure your message made it to the group.
>> The original had made it through, showing a time stamp of 4:51pm (my local time when it arrived here in New Hampshire, USA).  I just wanted to reassure that it made it to the group but I can't explain why you didn't get a copy posted back to you.
>>
>> David
>>

>>> On 2/2/2021 5:29 AM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
>>> Morning all. I posted last night as a 'reply' to the thread about soft synths and 'hard' synths, and am a bit surprised not to find it in my inbox this morning, so am reposting afresh.
>>> Like David, I’m a long-time Ketron SD2 user. But last summer for probably a couple of months I did look very seriously and widely at soft-synths. If you’d simply like an alternative to Timbres of Heaven, there’s a GM set called GeneralUser GS which you can probably find online as an sf2. There are also a couple of abandonware sets from Edirol - Edirol Orchestral and Edirol Hyper Canvas or Hypersound Canvas. They can be run as standalones, so asvirtually a self-contained sound source. Another possibility to explore is that a lot of producer effort and invention now goes into ‘plugins’, and although the majority are more controller-tweaks, there are some very good sound sources. e.g. one called !Xpand2. These last three I have added to my kit, but in the end I felt that the full sound font thing was just more trouble than it was worth, and I continue to use the SD2 as my main sound box.
>> [snip]> _._,_._,_
>>

>> --
>> *****
>> David H. Bailey
>> dhbailey52@...
>> http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

Arthur Trinchera

I used to be good at using sf2's and plugins back in 201, then wasn't using biab until 2020 when I got the update. ( Long story) Now I've forgotten how to do it. Are there any tutorials on how to do this?
I remember it greatly enhanced the midi sounds. Right now I only have Coyote.
Also I have a very large folder of vst but most seem obsolete now. I seem to need the little program that converts 32 bit to 64 but. I can't remember what that's called. Any thoughts?
Thank you,
Arthur

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, 2:29 AM IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

D F Tweedie

@Hayward ... For what it's worth VSTi's (softsynths or virtual instruments) are agnostic on the Windows platforms. That is, it doesn't matter other than CPU power and available RAM what year/ edition of software you are using to host a softsynth. So any VSTi (Steinbergs 'Virtual Studio Technology instrument) softsynth will run on any program, PG Music or otherwise, that supports VST hosting. Today they virtually all do.

@David ... Steinberg's entry level and up versions of Cubase throw in Halion SE (Halion Special Edition), which includes a feature to automatically open in GM mode with full soundset. That is, if you import a MIDI file and instantiate Halion SE, it will load with the correct instruments per channel.

There is also an advanced, full version of Halion that sells separately. It has some additional functions and a very large collection of sounds beyond GM which are categorized in such a way as to very easily be auditioned in the case you might want something close to but more distinctive than the stock GM voice.

On 2/2/2021 11:07 AM, Hayward Martin wrote:
I have been scanning the PGMUSIC BIAB forums an read about the Cakewalk TTS-1 synthesizer that comes with BIAB and integrates with it.   It’s not obvious (at least not to me). This is BIAB 2021, don’t know that it’s applicable to earlier versions.
[snip]

Thanks for pointing out that Cakewalk's TTS-1 synth comes with BIAB! I just tested it and it is far superior to the Coyote soft-synth.

To use it I went to the Options / Midi-Audio Driver Setup and then clicked on the "Use VST/DXi Synth" check box and then a dialog opened up showing all that was installed on my machine. I selected the Cakewalk TTS-1 and then when the dialog showing that opened up I simply closed that dialog and clicked okay when the BIAB dialog suggested switching the Bass Drum Note to 36 for that soft-synth, and when I got back to the main BIAB screen I clicked "Play" and the sounds that came out were very good. Almost as good as from my Ketron SD2 or my Yamaha keyboard. After testing the TTS-1 soft-synth I went back to the Options - Midi/Audio Driver Setup dialog and unchecked that box for using a soft-synth and then aswered YES to switch the bass drum note back to 35 and got back to the main BIAB screen.

This has been a most enlightening discussion!

On 2/2/2021 6:51 AM, Jim Mings wrote:
I am curious. Why has no one mentioned native instruments, IK ,Arturia, or Garritan for example. Am I misunderstanding the Termanology for soft synth. Jim
Further research (i.e. finding the folders where my Garritan Aria Player was located and loading that as a VST into BIAB) has shown me that the Garritan Aria Player (multi) does indeed open up in GM mode, and can provide excellent sounds from BIAB.

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. Of course if I didn't already have Garritan I would have to buy it, and to buy the Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 if $149.95, so it's not cheap, but nowhere near as expensive as some other choices for soft-synth.

But since Cakewalk's TTS-1 apparently comes free with BIAB2021, people who want good sounds from midi styles but don't have a midi keyboard or module should definitely try the Cakewalk TTS-1 out.

Hating to respond to my own response, after exiting BIAB and then restarting it, I can't get Garritan to work without manually loading patches into the specific channels, so it's not an automatic thing.

I just wanted to clear that up before anybody runs out to buy Garritan Personal Orchestra thinking it works automatically.

I have no idea how I got sounds out earlier, having switched from Cakewalk TTS-1 to Aria Player (the player that runs the Garritan patches) but it's not working for me now.

David

On 2/2/2021 1:43 PM, David H. Bailey wrote:
[...]

joseph doherty

Best biab default Soft synth I found is Halion Sonic from Steinberg, to get it download Dorio Se free from here.

Dorico SE: Free music notation software | Steinberg

and also the the vsti from here

Free HALion Sonic SE | Steinberg

I believe the vst has no sounds that is why you have to download the free Dorio Se free notation to get the sounds.

Once downloaded and installed browser to where you have the Halion dll load into biab go into the Halion options and select GM mode.

Works a treat far better in my opinion than any soft synths I have used before, such as TTS-1.

Maybe a few hoops to jump through to get it working but I feel well worth it, been using it alone for two years or more now.

Joe

Lew Aldridge

I also have a large collection of 32bit VST’s and they don’t work in BIAB 64bit  - however most of them work in the 32bit version which also comes with BIAB 2020.

Lew

Wales UK

[...]

Robert Grieve

David, This is interesting.  I have used TTS-1 with BIAB before when I had Cakewalk installed - it came with it and it is good. PG music recommended installing Cakewalk 2/3 years ago to get TTS-1.  A year ago I removed Cakewalk to save some space and lost TTS-1.  The idea that it is now bundled with BIAB is encouraging, the only problem is that I cannot see it on the 64 bit version.  I have 2021 UltaPak Upgrade.  It is not visible as a synth option after the usual ticking of the “Use VSTi/DXi Synth” box in “MIDI/Audio Drivers Setup”.  The default is Coyote.  Clicking on the synth options box pulls up a “choose a plugin” window where I have Coyote and Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc: sforzando as available synths.  I also installed BIAB on another machine to see if anything changed.  It was the same result.  What version of BIAB are you running?  I am assuming that the word bundled implies that simply installing BIAB results in TTS-1 being available.  Searching my machine does not find anything relating to TTS-1…..dll.   Anybody any ideas?

Bob Grieve

David H. Bailey

The good thing is that Cakewalk is completely free these days through BandLab, so perhaps you'll be able to install the TTS-1 soft synth that way.

David

On 2/3/2021 10:44 AM, Robert Grieve via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Alf Warnock

That's what you do. Install Cakewalk from https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
and you get the TTS-1 with it. Peter Gannon recommended this a couple of years ago in a forum message.
I did this several days ago.

Robert Grieve

Thanks Alf/David
That is what I will now do.  The thing was that the implication in some earlier mail was that TTS-1 was now bundled in with BIAB and installed with BIAB.  Obviously not the case.
Regards.

[That's what you do. Install Cakewalk from https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
and you get the TTS-1 with it. Peter Gannon recommended this a couple of years ago in a forum message.
I did this several days ago.]

royjamie@...

Good day
Further to David's response re Bandlab.& TTS-1
TTS-1 works well with Bandlab installed. The question I have is: can Bandlab be uninstalled  after TTS-1 is installed and will it continue to function normally?
Regards

etcjoe

It will still work, but if you are going to use cakewalk at all bandlab provides an easy way to update the program as they issue updates regularly. Of course cakewalk also prompts you for the updates when they become available.

Robert Grieve

[ from etcjoe: It will still work, but if you are going to use cakewalk at all bandlab provides an easy way to update the program as they issue updates regularly. Of course cakewalk also prompts you for the updates when they become available.]

Are you referring to the earlier question from royjamie regarding TTS-1 continuing to work after Cakewalk is uninstalled?  If so do you just uninstall Cakewalk and TTS-1 somehow remains behind and continues to work.  Alternatively do you need to copy the TTS-1 files to a safe place and then replace them after the uninstall?  If so what are the files and where to replace them?  I guess TTS-1.dll in Program Files/Cakewalke/Shared DXi must be one.