Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

D F Tweedie

Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?

It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS, which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS. Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.

Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen level. Can't be that hard.

Thanks for your thoughts or info.

On 1/28/2021 9:26 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?
It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS, which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS. Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.
Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen level. Can't be that hard.
[snip]

I can't find anything adjustable about "normalization" in any of the settings of BIAB. When using the Render To Audio File (not the Quick Render function) there is a check box for "normalization" but no way to adjust the level that is normalized to and the wording makes me wary because the popup that appears when you let the mouse pointer hover over the checkbox says it will "increase the volume to the maximum level without distortion (clipping) . . . " Do you render to audio files with that box checked? Have you compared versions with that checked and unchecked?

I have found two settings which might accomplish what you're looking for. In both the RealTracks and RealDrums dialogs within the Preferences settings there is a setting labeled "Global Volume Adjust" which by default is set at 0db. You could experiment setting that to -6db and then check the level of rendered audio files.

If that doesn't produce the desired effect then you could contact PGMusic support staff and make a request.

Thanks, David ...

I'm thinking those 'Global Volume Adjust' features only apply to the default setting in the mixer for the RealTracks and RealDrums.

And yes, I've rendered both without and with the normalization checked. In both cases there is variation between different files depending on how hot it can be normalized without clipping and depending on a files non-normailized gain structure.

Two files I recall from yesterday were rendered non-normalized at -2.5 dBFS and -10.1 dBFS respectively.

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 3:02:37 AM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:

On 1/28/2021 9:26 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?
>
> It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as
> possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS,
> which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of
> input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS.
> Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an
> example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.
>
> Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any
> normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be
> able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen
> level. Can't be that hard.

[snip]

I can't find anything adjustable about "normalization" in any of the
settings of BIAB.  When using the Render To Audio File (not the Quick
Render function) there is a check box for "normalization" but no way to
adjust the level that is normalized to and the wording makes me wary
because the popup that appears when you let the mouse pointer hover over
the checkbox says it will "increase the volume to the maximum level
without distortion (clipping) . . . "  Do you render to audio files
with that box checked?  Have you compared versions with that checked and
unchecked?

I have found two settings which might accomplish what you're looking
for.  In both the RealTracks and RealDrums dialogs within the
Preferences settings there is a setting labeled "Global Volume Adjust"
which by default is set at 0db.  You could experiment setting that to
-6db and then check the level of rendered audio files.

If that doesn't produce the desired effect then you could contact
PGMusic support staff and make a request.

geoff@...

When rendering out audio there is an option to normalize audio files in the dialog box

D F Tweedie

Yes ... but that normalization is to set peak levels as high as possible "without clipping."

I am interested in setting a dBFS peak level of -6.