Midi Keyboard Controller Issues #midi

Dr. Louis Polizzi <acare26@...>

Gentleman:
I'm looking for advice or perhaps direction to tutorials) on using my new midi keyboard controller (Arturia Keylab 49) with band in a box 2021.
When I choose a software synth plugin in the mixer and then pick a patch it is fine, however if I go to change the patch the same instrument patch continues to sound. In other words, if I pick grand piano it is fine then if I switch the patch to guitar it is still piano.
Second question: how do I get other software VST synthesizers into BIAB? In my choices I see Coyote and Sforzando.  My keyboard came with other software synthesizers and I'd like to use those sounds.
As an aside, has 2021 been updated yet where I can control the parameters with my midi keyboard?

Thanks!

Lou

David H. Bailey

Are the soft synths that came with your keyboard VST? If so, where did you have your installation program install them? The most common places for VST to be installed is C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins\

But the files have to be .dll files -- once you've copied the .dll files to one of those two folders BIAB should (I can't guarantee this and you might do well to consult tech support at pgmusic.com) read them the next time you start BIAB.

Also beware that if the softsynths you wish to use aren't GM you'll need to jump through some big assignment hoops in the "use DXi synth" dialog to put the correct instruments in the correct slots. And then if you wish to use different sounds, you'll have to reassign each one by hand. If the softsynths you wish to use are GM you should have no problem.

I just checked through all the menus and can find nothing like most DAW programs have whereby you can tell the program to search for new plugins. There is noplace I can find within BIAB to tell it to search in specific locations for DXi plugins.

Good luck -- please keep us informed as you figure things out or get a response from pgmusic tech support.

David H. Bailey

On 12/29/2020 8:08 PM, Dr. Louis Polizzi wrote:
Gentleman:
I'm looking for advice or perhaps direction to tutorials) on using my new midi keyboard controller (Arturia Keylab 49) with band in a box 2021.
When I choose a software synth plugin in the mixer and then pick a patch it is fine, however if I go to change the patch the same instrument patch continues to sound. In other words, if I pick grand piano it is fine then if I switch the patch to guitar it is still piano.
Second question: how do I get other software VST synthesizers into BIAB? In my choices I see Coyote and Sforzando.  My keyboard came with other software synthesizers and I'd like to use those sounds.
As an aside, has 2021 been updated yet where I can control the parameters with my midi keyboard?
Thanks!
Lou
Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=16117>

Dr. Louis Polizzi <acare26@...>

David, thanks for the response. What I did was actually restart my computer and sure enough when I go to the mixer now and select "choose plugin" in the track they're all there. Yes!

Now the only issue is whenever I try to change a patch the keyboard controller sounds like a piano and won't change no matter what I do. Using the BIAB
on-screen keyboard, however, has the appropriate patch sound. Any ideas?
I was told once that BIAB could not support any outside controllers. Any truth to that?
Lou

Tim Cook

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM, David H. Bailey wrote:
I just checked through all the menus and can find nothing like most DAW programs have whereby you can tell the program to search for new plugins.
IF you go to the Mixer. Select the Plugins tab. Left-click in the space for a plugin (initially it says None). You will get a menu for plugin settings.

HTH,
Tim

David H. Bailey

On 12/31/2020 7:13 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:27 PM, David H. Bailey wrote:
I just checked through all the menus and can find nothing like most
DAW programs have whereby you can tell the program to search for new
plugins.
IF you go to the Mixer. Select the Plugins tab. Left-click in the space for a plugin (initially it says None). You will get a menu for plugin settings.
[snip]

Thank you very much for pointing that out. What a convoluted, non-intuitive place to have the scan-for-plug-ins function! First, one has to have the mixer panel open, secondly one has to left-click in the place where it lists a plug-in, then choose plug-in settings to get to a place where we can have the program scan for new plugins. And we can also select whether to have the program scan for VST plugins as well as DXi plugins, and we can select whether to have BIAB scan for either or both every time it starts up.

To my way of thinking, that whole procedure should be under the Options menu under the Midi/Audio Setup dialog. Or as a separate menu item on the Options menu, since it has to do with preferences and options. All the DAWs I've worked with have it under a separate Tools menu. Certainly not in a panel that a person doesn't always have open necessarily.

But that's just me -- obviously you found where the dialog was, Tim.

Thanks again for pointing it out for us!

Lew Aldridge

There is another way to get to the plugins settings menu.

Put the toolbars into the full mode by clicking on the button on the left hand side.

Put the mixer into Floating and move it down so it's clear of the File toolbar and Hey Presto a number of buttons appear including one for plugins that opens a menu that includes plugin options. I also found the way from the mixer.

It's easy when you know how but knowing how cost me several frustrating hours.

What is really frustrating is that neither the 64bit or 32bit versions recognise most of my rather old plugins.  Mostly they end up in the exclusion list.

Lew

David H. Bailey

On 1/2/2021 5:28 AM, Lew Aldridge wrote:
There is another way to get to the plugins settings menu.
Put the toolbars into the full mode by clicking on the button on the left hand side.
Put the mixer into Floating and move it down so it's clear of the File toolbar and Hey Presto a number of buttons appear including one for plugins that opens a menu that includes plugin options. I also found the way from the mixer.
It's easy when you know how but knowing how cost me several frustrating hours.
Doh! I feel so stupid not to have noticed that icon! Thanks for pointing it out!