How can I start with a melody instead of with chords? #MacUsers #BiaBPrevious

Thomas Landis

I purchased BLAB several years ago because I wanted to have it find chords and try different styles from a noodled melody on the piano; I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I abandoned it as yet another piece of useless software (no offense). Did I miss something or are newer versions more able to do what I want? I've been following all the discussions here and I want to get in on the fun that you all seem to be having!

Thanks in advance,

Tom Landis, Mac OS X user

Steven G

I dont know how BB does that but there is a free website called chordify that does it

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020, 12:04 AM Thomas Landis <tlandis100@...> wrote:
I purchased BLAB several years ago because I wanted to have it find chords and try different styles from a noodled melody on the piano; I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I abandoned it as yet another piece of useless software (no offense). Did I miss something or are newer versions more able to do what I want? I've been following all the discussions here and I want to get in on the fun that you all seem to be having!

Thanks in advance,

Tom Landis, Mac OS X user

Wade McReynolds

Microsoft Songsmith was designed to do that, although it's only for Windows. You could try the web app at https://github.com/betaveros/riffshuffle instead. You'd have to set it up on your computer, though, as it's a master's thesis project and not commercial software.

Wade

Gary Thompson

Try This with BIAB ....

1. Get your melody down using the notation mode or record it in. Put in the starting key. Save it.

2. Open Chord options and select Chord subs. This will bring up the chord substitution box an give you several chord progressions.

3. Start with bar 1 for 4 bars. Make sure the box is checked for 'Show Substitution Only if melody is compatible'

4. select a progression and click on 'Do Substitution NOW'. Then click on 'Close' to complete the substitution.

Have a listen and do the same for each 4 bars until it sounds right.

--
No matter what happens, the U.S. Navy is not going to be caught
napping.
--U.S. Secretary of Navy, December 4, 1941

Media Production

Riffer by Audio Modern is a super intuitive product I use sometimes for creating melody or midi sequence using a custom sound design I’ve created---they just came out with Riffer 3 version.  I copied the info from my
VSTi database below.

Rodger

Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2020 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] How can I start with a melody instead of with chords? #BiaBPrevious #MacUsers

David H. Bailey <dhbailey@...>

On 12/17/2020 4:12 PM, Thomas Landis wrote:
I purchased BLAB several years ago because I wanted to have it find chords and try different styles from a noodled melody on the piano; I couldn't figure out how to do this, so I abandoned it as yet another piece of useless software (no offense). Did I miss something or are newer versions more able to do what I want? I've been following all the discussions here and I want to get in on the fun that you all seem to be having!
Thanks in advance,
Tom Landis, Mac OS X user
[snip]

There are a couple of ways to do this. There used to be a "blank" midi style. It was for doing exactly what you want to do.

One way to do what you want is to select a style and then turn the volume down for all the instruments other than the melody. Then record your melody and have BIAB try to find chords to go with it. Usually for just a melody that is very difficult because even with a given key signature and tempo any single note can be harmonized in many different ways.

dhbailey@davidbaileymusicstudio.com
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com