From: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io> on behalf of Pedro via groups.io <pelengar@...>
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 5:26 PM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io <main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io>
Subject: [Band-In-A-Box] How to connect keyboard ( #BiaB2020)

Hi, I'm an amateur musician and a longtime fan of BIAB.
I would like to know how to connect my Yamaha Tyros 5 to my BIAB so that I can play along with BIAB styles.
Also, would I be able to use keyboard's intros, endings and main variations...?
Thanks for any advice and regards to everybody.
Peter.

David H. Bailey

On 12/3/2020 4:27 AM, Mr Dave wrote:
Peter,
You can connect your Tyros 5 with a cable usb A to usb B. ( USB-midi )
This type of cable is the same type used to connect a printer to your computer by USB.
Check your Tyros 5 manual as to what functions are available by way of a usb connection to your computer.
I don't think an interaction with BIAB on your computer such as intros, endings, and main variations is possible .
[snip]

I agree with Dave Price on this -- the cable he describes is the typical one shipped with keyboards which have a built-in midi interface. You may need to install a driver program which you can download from yamaha.

I don't see any reason to use the intros, endings and main variations on the keyboard if you're using BIAB. After all, creating and playing those are the core function of BIAB. If you're already happy with what's on your keyboard there's no need to use BIAB. But if you're using BIAB those things from your keyboard would simply interfere with what BIAB is doing.

One thing you can do is to have BIAB create .wav files from a song, with a separate .wav file for each track in BIAB. Then you can open all those wave files in a DAW like RealBand or Reaper or Cakewalk or Logic or others and then use your keyboard to create other tracks using it's built-in intros, endings, variations, and mix them all together that way. I think that musical chaos would result if you play the keyboard's intro alongside a BIAB intro, though.

Thank you for your reply David. Have a nice day. Regards from Mexico.

Thanks Dave, appreciate your comments. Have a nice day and regards from Mexico.

Peter.