Topics

Copies of biab #BiaBPrevious

Z Dobro Jones

I have had Band In a Box for years. I have several updates with the original hard drives and boxes. I hate Windows 10, have gotten rid of my Windows computer. I now use A Chromebook that I understand is not supported for Biab. Is there a way to use Biab in Chromebook? If not is there a legal way to sell what I have. I will never go back to Windows. It seems like a shame to just have the things gather dust.

taiptaip@...

I have 2 high end asas laptops for the price of one apple MacBook Pro. No brained.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Sunday, August 23, 2020, 11:31 AM, Z Dobro Jones via groups.io <dobrojones@...> wrote:

I have had Band In a Box for years. I have several updates with the original hard drives and boxes. I hate Windows 10, have gotten rid of my Windows computer. I now use A Chromebook that I understand is not supported for Biab. Is there a way to use Biab in Chromebook? If not is there a legal way to sell what I have. I will never go back to Windows. It seems like a shame to just have the things gather dust.

David H. Bailey

On 8/23/2020 11:51 AM, M. Vise via groups.io wrote:
I have 2 high end asas laptops for the price of one apple MacBook Pro. No brained.
[snip]

That really makes no sense at all in response to a question about trying to get BIAB working on a chromebook.

Unless the OS is Windows or OSx, you'd have to try to find an emulator program to try to run BIAB on your Chromebook.

You would need to contact support@... to find out the following:
1) can you unregister the serial numbers you have registered to your account as a BIAB user;
2) once that has been accomplished, can you sell your serial numbers and your outstanding copies of BIAB and upgrades over the years to another individual.

Only PGMusic can tell you whether that's possible and whether they would allow it or not.

Bob Eldridge <bobeld1@...>

BIAB works in the two major operating systems iOS and Windows.  It was not designed to work in Chromebook which uses the Android operating system.  I worked on a friend's Mac computer today and found it OK to use, but my preference lies with Microsoft Windows.  I find I am able to personalize and configure Windows so it works the way I want it to.  I have to give Microsoft credit for creating an operating system that works on many different pieces of hardware.  It runs on computers made by Dell, HP, Samsung, SONY, Lenovo, Asus, and a host of custom machines made by companies like Cyberpower and Falcon.  Given the number of different hardware configurations, I think it is a truly amazing feat that it is able to run smoothly on all of them.
With such a rich feature set, I think BIAB would have to give up much of its functionality to run in Android.  Chromebooks may be fine for checking e-mail, surfing the Web, using social media, group chatting (like Zoom and Skype) and running small apps.  But it does not have the ability to handle a program like BIAB.  Sorry to hear you are so disappointed in Windows.  It appears we have had totally different experiences.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:31 AM Z Dobro Jones via groups.io <dobrojones=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have had Band In a Box for years. I have several updates with the original hard drives and boxes. I hate Windows 10, have gotten rid of my Windows computer. I now use A Chromebook that I understand is not supported for Biab. Is there a way to use Biab in Chromebook? If not is there a legal way to sell what I have. I will never go back to Windows. It seems like a shame to just have the things gather dust.

Eric Dannewitz

Chromebooks run chromeOS not android. They can run android apps, but they don’t run android as the main OS.

Sent from my iSomething
--
Eric Dannewitz
Musician/Polymath/Evil Genius

On Aug 24, 2020, at 4:05 AM, Bob Eldridge <bobeld1@...> wrote:

[...]

Also to add to corrections of Bob's post, the two major operating systems that BIAB runs on are OSx and Windows, not iOS.

I think that there are two major reasons that PGMusic hasn't bothered making full-blown versions of BIAB for either iOS or Android:
1) storage space needed for all the real instruments, which seems to be the major thrust of BIAB and many of its users these days;
2) the complications in both equipment and software in trying to use MIDI with either iOS or Android, which means that even the core MIDI functions of BIAB (all the original styles before "real drums" and "realtracks") is difficult to ensure that it would work.

As for comparisons between how BIAB runs on Windows computers vs. Macs, from what I've read it seems that while for years the Mac version was way behind the Windows version, in more recent versions both Mac and Windows versions seem just about the same.

David H. Bailey

On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:31 AM Z Dobro Jones via groups.io <http://groups.io> <dobrojones=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:

I have had Band In a Box for years. I have several updates with
the original hard drives and boxes. I hate Windows 10, have gotten
rid of my Windows computer. I now use A Chromebook that I
understand is not supported for Biab. Is there a way to use Biab
in Chromebook? If not is there a legal way to sell what I have. I
will never go back to Windows. It seems like a shame to just have
the things gather dust.

Bob Eldridge

Sorry for my ignorance in not knowing that iOS and OSx were not one and the same.  I haven't used Apple products in many years.

> [...]

>> checking e-mail, surfing the Web, using social media, group chatting
>> (like Zoom and Skype) and running small apps.  But it does not have
>> the ability to handle a program like BIAB.  Sorry to hear you are so
>> disappointed in Windows.  It appears we have had totally different
>> experiences.
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 23, 2020 at 11:31 AM Z Dobro Jones via groups.io
>> <http://groups.io> <dobrojones=yahoo.com@groups.io
>> <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>> wrote:
>>
>>    I have had Band In a Box for years. I have several updates with
>>    the original hard drives and boxes. I hate Windows 10, have gotten
>>    rid of my Windows computer. I now use A Chromebook that I
>>    understand is not supported for Biab. Is there a way to use Biab
>>    in Chromebook? If not is there a legal way to sell what I have. I
>>    will never go back to Windows. It seems like a shame to just have

Bob Eldridge

Sorry again for not realizing that Chrome Notebooks have their own OS.  I understood the Chrome OS as being the Google Chrome browser that is used by the Chrome Notebooks.

[...]

nadpete@...

Hi,
Here is a link to a set of possible solutions: https://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/
However, many appear to involve running a virtual copy of Windows, which don't seem solutions you would be interested in using.
Good Luck.

Kofi & Mimi in Ghana

Thank you for the link of how to use Biab in Chromebook. It's very informative.
Kofi