Topics

RealTracks - Taking up a RealBig amount of disk space #BiaB2020

Mike B

I just got my update to Band in a Box 2020 with the release of the mac version.

There's something like 100gb of RealTracks files here.

Rather than using 1/5th of my available hard drive space for these files, can I move the RealTracks files to a thumb drive instead? I have a usb 3.0 1tb thumb drive, and I'd prefer to store the files there instead of on my primary disk.

David H. Bailey

Yes, you can place the RealTracks and RealDrums files onto your thumb drive. The only problem is that the files load faster from your hard drive than they will from a USB drive. It will take a bit longer to compile the songs, but it shouldn't interfere with the playing of the songs.

I'm just curious as to why you don't want to use the space on your hard drive -- what else do you have planned for the available 500GB of space?

You might compare the size of your main BB folder on the C drive with the amount of space taken up by the RealTracks/RealDrums files. You might consider doing what I've done and have the RealTracks/RealDrums on the fastest access (i.e. your hard drive) and move the rest of BIAB to the thumb drive.

Did you purchase the BIAB2020 upgrade on the external hard drive, or did you only do download? If you bought the external hard drive version, you can run the whole thing from that.

David H. Bailey

On 3/30/2020 10:05 AM, Mike B via Groups.Io wrote:
I just got my update to Band in a Box 2020 with the release of the mac version.
There's something like 100gb of RealTracks files here.
Rather than using 1/5th of my available hard drive space for these files, can I move the RealTracks files to a thumb drive instead? I have a usb 3.0 1tb thumb drive, and I'd prefer to store the files there instead of on my primary disk.

Mike B

I also use XCode for software development, Logic Pro for mastering music, and Final Cut for video editing. BIAB is one of my lesser used software packages so yes, 20% of my drive space is a pretty big ask.

I did not order the physical version, just the upgrade.

I'll move things off to my thumb drive, it shouldn't be that much slower on my machine since true USB 3.0 is moving pretty quick compared to older external technology.

Mark L

Is the 100gb file space incremental over prior versions, or is it less for those that already have some of the RealTracks files installed?

David H. Bailey

It's a lot less for people who already have a recent version with RealTracks installed.

I didn't measure what the difference was, but as I recall BIAB2020 wasn't a significant amount larger than BIAB2018.

David H. BAiley

On 3/31/2020 11:34 AM, Mark L wrote:
Is the 100gb file space incremental over prior versions, or is it less for those that already have some of the RealTracks files installed?

Hayward Martin

Yes, if it’s fast enough.   You will need to go into options and change the path to match the new drive letter and directory.   There’s one for Drums (Eg:  E:\bb\drums) and one for Real Tracks (Eg:  E:\bb\RealTracks).

I got the 2020 Ultimate upgrade also and it’s great!

Hayward

I just got my update to Band in a Box 2020 with the release of the mac version.

There's something like 100gb of RealTracks files here.

Rather than using 1/5th of my available hard drive space for these files, can I move the RealTracks files to a thumb drive instead? I have a usb 3.0 1tb thumb drive, and I'd prefer to store the files there instead of on my primary disk.

gbalabanian@...

Hi, i would suggest you use an external usb3 SSD. Thèse are not too expensive and really fast. This  is how i did with my MacBook Pro