Topics

Creating BIAB renditions of CCM? #CCM

Dave Nuttall

I'm interested in collaborating with BIAB users in creating renditions of CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) songs.   Over time, I have accumulated several HUNDRED lead-and-chord charts when "WorshipTogether.com" publishes and allows the download of free songs.  (Sometimes 5 per week!).

However, as a "non-guitar" savvy person (played piano since 1951!), my ear hasn't learned to "distill" the published audio renditions so that an appropriate style can be identified.

Historically I have limited myself to traditional hymns and southern/country gospel.   I have and use Bob Norton's wonderful package of the songs in the Hal Leonard "450 of Gospel's Greatest".   But more often than not, my friends/colleagues in amateur singing groups ask about the opportunities to get "karaoke" tracks for relatively recent songs, especially groups/artists such as Hillsong Worship, Passion, Chris Tomlin, etc., etc.

TIA for your ideas/input.
Dave
San Antonio, TX

Marty Ward

Sounds interesting. I do have some files on my website but use generic styles. I have found some of the newer styles interesting for some of the newer CCM material I have played with. I have used some as backing tracks. I play guitar and some keyboard. If Bob had the time it would be great to see some of the CCM material available with the great work he does. Another option I've toyed with is to import midi files and see what comes of that. Just been busy helping wife over the past couple of years with her book writing and other related ministries. Getting older now so slowing down somewhat and looking at exactly what you address here and if it is feasable. The hardest part is trying and finding styles to match since all you have to do is enter the chords as closely as possible to taste.

Marty

On Sunday, December 8, 2019, 7:08:45 AM MST, guru42k <dnuttall@...> wrote:

[...]

Kelvin Green

Recently started putting together some CCM backings, to which I add vocals and extra guitar. I don't input melody, as that's where I sing. A topical one for this time of year is the Tim Hughes "He shall reign forever more". I've attached the BIAB file and a mp3 with my vocals. Happy to share more with the group.

Regards

Kelvin Green

--

Kelvin Green

Vocalist and guitarist

@KelvinGreenMusic - website  https://kelvingreenmusic-uncovered.ueniweb.com

Dave Nuttall

Kelvin,
I'd love to hear your BIAB & MP3, but seems they did not arrive with your primary message.
Thanks.
Dave

On 12/8/2019 8:50 AM, Kelvin Green wrote:
[...]

It seems that attachments are not acceptable with the groups, as the ones I sent with my last email may have been deleted. The reason I sent the BIAB file by attachment was that I also included an mp3 to show the vocals and melody. Does anyone have any great ideas how to get around this?

Kelvin Green
Worcester UK

On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 at 14:24, Marty Ward via Groups.Io <mmissary2in1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

David H. Bailey

On 12/8/2019 10:55 AM, Kelvin Green wrote:
It seems that attachments are not acceptable with the groups, as the ones I sent with my last email may have been deleted. The reason I sent the BIAB file by attachment was that I also included an mp3 to show the vocals and melody. Does anyone have any great ideas how to get around this?
If you click on the link "view/reply online" you will be taken to the message at the BIAB page at groups.io -- on the left is a menu, one item of which is "Files."

Upload them into the Files section of the group at groups.io, then tell us what you've uploaded and which folder it's in. You can create a new folder in the Files section if that will make it easier for people to find your files.

Jean-Philippe Waechter

Hello,
With pleasure, I discover that several subscribers of the list use BB to harmonize Christian songs and songs (CCM). This is my case also since the 90s as an amateur ...
Since my retirement, I published a blog, and made available to the public my mp3 recordings made with BB, namely the titles of the Book of hymn Rainbow in  French ARC EN CIEL.
Each composition has its page; I add the sound and lyrics of the song / song. But I also propose to anyone who wants it a total or partial playlist (by category) m3u that everyone can listen to as they please.
I also discover the huge possibilities offered by software such as Garage Band and Reason for sound processing. Because I was often dissatisfied with MIDI rendering with the tools I had so far.
For two years, I have a YAMAHA PSR S-770 keyboard with remarkable sound.
To restore sound quality close to the playing of the original instruments, I record it all live from the keyboard.
The conversion from the midi file of the BB file to AIF / m4a uses the midi resources of the computer and not those of the keyboard. Simple observation. In any case, I do not know so far the settings to be done to get the computer use of MIDI resources of the external keyboard for this operation.
I do not claim to be a musician, but a passionate MAO and wish learn any more, happy to see this list come alive at the time of the change of accommodation.

Best Regards,
Jean-Philippe W

Waechter Jean Philippe
27 rue Croix Rouge
13200 ARLES
Twitter @jpwaec

Gudrun Brunot

Dear Jean-Philippe: There is a tutorial called something like “BIAL PLAYS THE KEYBOARD’ by somebody named Rocconi, I believe. Look for that, and it might help you. I have a Yamaha PSR-s900 and am often looking for ways to use its styles fully in my own biab files.

All best,

Gudrun

Please note my new email of brunotgudrun@...

[...]

Rod Bergen

However, as a "non-guitar" savvy person (played piano since 1951!), my ear hasn't learned to "distill" the published audio renditions so that an appropriate style can be identified.
I'm not sure that the problem is not being a guitar person.  I think that BIAB styles are the major issue.  They often don't seem to be suited to CCM songs, at least the modern ones.  I've tried a couple of times to use BIAB to do a modern worship song and have not been happy with the result.  Perhaps the problem is that I am relatively new to BIAB and don't understand how best to put a song together.

I would be really interested in getting any songs that anyone produces as it may help me to produce files that are useful to others as well. It should be possible to set up a CCM folder in the file section.

Thanks!

Dave Nuttall

Rod,
That's an excellent point with regard to BIAB styles....and the issue seems to be prevalent among Yamaha arranger/workstations which have been my alternative to BIAB.

The modern CCM styles seem to have roots in 70s/80s rock more than pop/country/jazz/whatnot.

Makes me want to try and connect with some of the more prolific composers to find out what influences the "blends" they put out.
Oh well, maybe a little patience is needed here while folks think about!
Thanks for your reply and ditto on setting up a CCM folder.
d.

On 12/10/2019 10:08 AM, Rod Bergen wrote:
However, as a "non-guitar" savvy person (played piano since 1951!), my ear hasn't learned to "distill" the published audio renditions so that an appropriate style can be identified.
I'm not sure that the problem is not being a guitar person.  I think that BIAB styles are the major issue.  They often don't seem to be suited to CCM songs, at least the modern ones.  I've tried a couple of times to use BIAB to do a modern worship song and have not been happy with the result.  Perhaps the problem is that I am relatively new to BIAB and don't understand how best to put a song together.

I would be really interested in getting any songs that anyone produces as it may help me to produce files that are useful to others as well. It should be possible to set up a CCM folder in the file section.

Thanks!

Rod Bergen

I just uploaded "King of Kings" by Hillsong Worship to the CCM folder in the files section.  I would be interested in feedback on how to make it better.  It includes the lyrics.  Chords are from the Worship Together lead sheet.

Thanks!

Dave Nuttall

I downloaded/played it and was impressed by the sound of that style compared to the original.
Really very nice!
It follows the published lead sheet, but for whatever reason, no lyrics showed up.
I have BIAB-2016.

THANKS, Rod!
d.

On 12/14/2019 10:31 PM, Rod Bergen wrote:
I just uploaded "King of Kings" by Hillsong Worship to the CCM folder in the files section.  I would be interested in feedback on how to make it better.  It includes the lyrics.  Chords are from the Worship Together lead sheet.

Thanks!

Kelvin Green

Sounds great. I tried adding 1842 synth pad in places on high reverb, and pulling back the other instruments for the first half of the song, and it highlights the "drone" that is present in many Hillsong worship songs.

Kind Regards

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 at 04:31, Rod Bergen <rod.bergen@...> wrote:
I just uploaded "King of Kings" by Hillsong Worship to the CCM folder in the files section.  I would be interested in feedback on how to make it better.  It includes the lyrics.  Chords are from the Worship Together lead sheet.

Thanks!

--

Kelvin Green

Vocalist and guitarist

@KelvinGreenMusic - website  https://kelvingreenmusic-uncovered.ueniweb.com

Dave Nuttall

Kelvin,
Would like to add "drone" to my music vocabulary....Google found some sound effects that are categorized as "drone", but it's not clear HOW such "under current" sounds are produced.   Kinda sounds like a cross between an electric piano with never ending sustain and an organ of some kind.
TIA.
Dave

On 12/15/2019 7:07 AM, Kelvin Green wrote:
[...]

 @guru42k - I put the lyrics in as "bar-based" lyrics, mainly because I don't know how to enter "note-based" lyrics (even after reading the manual).   The lyrics should display if the proper display settings are selected.

@KelvinGreen - I did a second version of the song in which I pulled the instruments back at the beginning and then added them as the song progressed. I will post it as well.

Rod Bergen

Edited

I posted a second song for your feedback - Goodness of God by Bethel Music.  It includes bar-based lyrics.

I need to play around with building the song.  The guitar at the beginning is quite quiet but it gets too loud too quickly when I add all of the instruments.

Also, i tried searching how to add a rit. at the end of the song and understand you have to play with the tempo map but exactly how this is done escapes me.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave Nuttall

I thought it was very good @ bar 14.  The score I have says the first 13 bars are "mp" and @ 14 it changes to mf->f