Topics

Opening Song Files #BiaBFiles

bktelt

Great that we have moved from Yahoo and gotten most of the files transferred even with some of the chaos that has ensued.  But I can't seem to open or unzip the files. Get the message basically that I lack permissions etc. etc. Upgraded to 2019 64 bit last year and this probably started then although I really haven't downloaded files in the past 4-5 years. Liked to compare my renditions of songs to others renditions as a learning tool for BIAB. Running windows 10. Seeking out one of you gurus to give me some clues before I stay up all night trying to fix it.

David H. Bailey

On 12/7/2019 3:07 PM, bktelt via Groups.Io wrote:
Great that we have moved from Yahoo and gotten most of the files transferred even with some of the chaos that has ensued.  But I can't seem to open or unzip the files. Get the message basically that I lack permissions etc. etc. Upgraded to 2019 64 bit last year and this probably started then although I really haven't downloaded files in the past 4-5 years. Liked to compare my renditions of songs to others renditions as a learning tool for BIAB. Running windows 10. Seeking out one of you gurus to give me some clues before I stay up all night trying to fix it.
To better help you, you should tell us exactly what steps you're taking.

In Win10, you download the .zip file to your hard drive, then double-click it and you'll be asked where you want the files unzipped to.

You should then be able to double-click any of the unzipped files and have them open in BIAB. IF BIAB won't open when you double-click any of the files, you need to right-click on one of the files and select "Open With" and then select "choose another app" and navigate to the BB folder and select bbw.exe to have the files open with the 32-bit version of BIAB or select bbw64.exe to have them open with the 64-bit version of BIAB. Be sure the box labeled "Always this application" is checked.

If you've done all that and still can't get the zip files to unzip or the BIAB files to open in BIAB, please outline the steps you've taken.

I just ran a test with a random .zip file from the new BIAB site at groups.io and it all worked just fine.

bktelt

David,
When trying to open the zip file get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.
You may not have the appropriate permissions to access this item. I will be delving into the matter why windows isn't even making an attempt to extract.
Blake

On Saturday, December 7, 2019, 3:38:16 PM EST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:

On 12/7/2019 3:07 PM, bktelt via Groups.Io wrote:
> Great that we have moved from Yahoo and gotten most of the files
> transferred even with some of the chaos that has ensued.  But I can't
> seem to open or unzip the files. Get the message basically that I lack
> permissions etc. etc. Upgraded to 2019 64 bit last year and this
> probably started then although I really haven't downloaded files in the
> past 4-5 years. Liked to compare my renditions of songs to others
> renditions as a learning tool for BIAB. Running windows 10. Seeking out
> one of you gurus to give me some clues before I stay up all night trying
> to fix it.

To better help you, you should tell us exactly what steps you're taking.

In Win10, you download the .zip file to your hard drive, then
double-click it and you'll be asked where you want the files unzipped to.

You should then be able to double-click any of the unzipped files and
have them open in BIAB.  IF BIAB won't open when you double-click any of
the files, you need to right-click on one of the files and select "Open
With" and then select "choose another app" and navigate to the BB folder
and select bbw.exe to have the files open with the 32-bit version of
BIAB or select bbw64.exe to have them open with the 64-bit version of
BIAB.  Be sure the box labeled "Always this application" is checked.

If you've done all that and still can't get the zip files to unzip or
the BIAB files to open in BIAB, please outline the steps you've taken.

I just ran a test with a random .zip file from the new BIAB site at
groups.io and it all worked just fine.

BIAB Moderator

bktelt

Absolutely right on windows permissions. Supposedly had permissions but still didn't work and reading the convoluted processes to try fixing blew my mind after viewing a few you tubes and reading about some fixes. So I decided to bypass the windows extractor and downloaded a fresh 7-zip program (free) and lo and behold worked like a charm. Worked both on the 32 and 64 bit 2019 version although the 64 bit took two tries. Isn't technology wonderful?
Blake

On Saturday, December 7, 2019, 10:07:09 PM EST, BIAB Moderator via Groups.Io <biabgroup@...> wrote:

David H. Bailey

On 12/8/2019 8:09 AM, bktelt via Groups.Io wrote:
Absolutely right on windows permissions. Supposedly had permissions but still didn't work and reading the convoluted processes to try fixing blew my mind after viewing a few you tubes and reading about some fixes. So I decided to bypass the windows extractor and downloaded a fresh 7-zip program (free) and lo and behold worked like a charm. Worked both on the 32 and 64 bit 2019 version although the 64 bit took two tries. Isn't technology wonderful?
Blake
I'm glad you got things working for you -- thank you for sharing your solution with us!

Bob Zentrail

Help!
I'm getting tons of emails from the group
but not the group confirmation emails
so I can join and limit what emails I get sent.
thanks, Dave