Topics

BIAB2020 first impressions #BiaB2020

Marty Ward

Be aware that once you've installed including the current updates tahat your styles may not all show. Took me a few to figure out that you need to disavble the "show 2020 only" menu in the styles screen. After I did that all the styles I have showed in the style picker window. Just thought it might be usefull info as it was an unexpected issue. Quick rebuild does the PG Music styles and Rebuild all will go thru all your styles and rebuild the available styles you may have.

Marty

DENNIS

Maybe this goes along with my question last week - does an "upgrade of "Baib " keep all exiting styles ?
I have received advice from several people to make a separate folder of all styles BUT nobody has advised my how to get the Biab upgrade to recognize all the styles ??
Dennis

On 07 December 2019 at 14:25 "Marty Ward via Groups.Io" <mmissary2in1@...> wrote:

Be aware that once you've installed including the current updates tahat your styles may not all show. Took me a few to figure out that you need to disavble the "show 2020 only" menu in the styles screen. After I did that all the styles I have showed in the style picker window. Just thought it might be usefull info as it was an unexpected issue. Quick rebuild does the PG Music styles and Rebuild all will go thru all your styles and rebuild the available styles you may have.

Marty

Marty Ward

It appears that it kept all the styles I already had. There are a few I know that haven't been picked up in the style picker the last couple of upgrades but they are in the BB folder and accessible/usable.
Marty

On Friday, December 6, 2019, 6:38:52 PM MST, DENNIS <dennismarsh@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Marty - Been a user from the day the app came on 3.5 disks and use it everyday for something

On 07 December 2019 at 14:44 "Marty Ward via Groups.Io" <mmissary2in1@...> wrote:

[...]

 Keep Smiling

Cheers

Dennis

David H. Bailey

On 12/6/2019 8:38 PM, DENNIS wrote:
Maybe this goes along with my question last week - does an "upgrade of "Baib " keep all exiting styles ?
I have received advice from several people to make a separate folder of all styles BUT nobody has advised my how to get the Biab upgrade to recognize all the styles ??
Dennis
[snip]

In order to see all the styles you have and not just the PGMusic styles, you need to do a manual Rebuild of all styles.

To do so, open the style picker window in BIAB, then at the bottom click on the Rebuild button and select the option "[Slow] Rebuild of PGMusic and 3rd Party Styles..."

That forces BIAB to search on your hard drive for any and all styles, no matter who published them. That will give you a complete listing of all your styles.

On 12/6/2019 8:38 PM, DENNIS wrote:
Maybe this goes along with my question last week - does an "upgrade of "Baib " keep all exiting styles ?
I have received advice from several people to make a separate folder of all styles BUT nobody has advised my how to get the Biab upgrade to recognize all the styles ??
As a followup to the reply I just sent, I want to add a caution:

If you have styles from anybody other than PGMusic, such as styles by Bob Norton and Sherry Mayrent and Roy Hawkesford (all available for purchase through nortonmusic.com) you should NEVER do a "[Fast] Rebuild of PGMusic Styles only..." because that will remove all the non-PGMusic styles from your list.

So even if you purchase some newer styles from PGMusic (they often release some new styles in June or July), once you've installed them you must always do a "[Slow] Rebuild of PGMusic Styles and 3rd Party Styles..." in order to continue to see all your styles and not just the PGMusic styles.

And has just been pointed out by Marty Ward, under the Category submenu, be sure that you do NOT have "NEW in 2020" selected or you'll only see the newest styles and will not see all your styles.

Here is my initial set of impressions of BIAB2020:

First off, let me say that these impressions are all based on the 64-bit app. I haven't messed around with the 32-bit app but I imagine these would all be the same impressions since I haven't delved into the vst plug-in aspect of BIAB.

The appearance onscreen on my computer (the same one that I've been running BIAB2018 on) looks just a bit crisper, clearer. However this might just be my impression since I can't compare, having installed 2020 into the same folder that I had 2018 in.

In the Help menu are two links for User Manual PDF files -- one is the complete manual (but we know that PGMusic's manuals aren't all that well written) and the other is the "Upgrade Manual" where we can learn about the newest features. One thing I've noticed about the "Upgrade Manual" in past versions is that not all that is in the manual is actually brand new with the latest version. However since I did not upgrade to 2019, I figure most of this will be helpful new information for me.

One of the first things I notice are the two question mark icons -- one is large and is in the menu bar of icons for New, Open, Prev/Next, etc. The other is smaller and sits to the right of the Audio radio-button. I don't recall that from 2018, and I don't know whether it's part of 2019, but in 2020 it seems very helpful. Both of these question marks open up a dialog called "Feature Browser" that allows the user to scroll down a list on the left of major BIAB features and when we select one, an information panel shows where the feature can be found, what it does, and some information on how to use it. Very nice!

Everything seems very much the same on the main BIAB screen, so I get the impression that most of the "50 new" things are the realtracks and under-the-hood improvements.

The guitar window now supports left-handed guitarists, student-view, and left-handed-student-view in addition to the long-standing "normal" guitar view. These new views will be very helpful to various types of people who are using BIAB to help them learn to play guitar.

One long-standing gripe that for some reason (most likely because it would require a very expensive total rewrite of the main BIAB program code) PGMusic hasn't fixed is that we still can't put more than 4 chords in a single measure. At this point it's safe to assume that will never ever happen. BUT, the good news on this is that Bob Norton still has his "Expanded Styles" for sale, where he has programmed styles that allow us to use 2 measures of the chord-entry spread-sheet to equal one measure of a song, and simply by doubling the tempo we get 8 chord positions (along with BIAB's push capabilities!) for each measure and Bob's clever style designing skills allow us to end up with songs that sound correctly at the original song's tempo.

Everything else seems as it always has been for at least the 2017 and 2018 versions.

I really like the new real styles that I've auditioned -- This is obviously where the bulk of PGMusic's development dollars have gone. However for quick and easy accompaniments during my music lessons, I still go for the midi-only styles.

I like the ability to add a style to my Favorites list -- I think I will begin to make better use of that feature. You can do that in several ways, but the easiest is to spend some time auditioning all your styles (I've got 8500 styles, so it'll take some time) within the style-picker window, and if you like a style, right-click on it and select "set as favorite." Then when you're in a hurry or just to make life easier when working on a new song file, you can choose "Favorites" from the "Other" drop-down menu in the Style-Picker and show only your favorite styles. One word of caution, though, when you use that feature -- occasionally you should go back through all the styles and give them another chance because there might be one that you would now like which didn't quite catch your fancy before.

The StylePicker includes the ability to create our own categories, complete with a memo field so we can put our favorites into specific categories such as "David's waltzes" or "David's Funk" and then in the "Category" drop-down menu we can select just one particular category of our own and not be burdened by seeing thousands of styles which won't fit the current song. So if we're looking for good waltz styles we like, we can simply sort by the TimeSignature category, try out all the 3/4 styles and add only those we like to our "My Waltzes" category and save a lot of time in the future.

Since I don't use the DAW plugin capability of BIAB, I can't speak to whether their claims of a more robust version in the 2020 edition of BIAB are valid or not, but other than the new realtracks and new styles I don't see a lot of improvement, at least for how I use BIAB, over the 2018 version. However, I think that making it a true 64-bit application as well as installing both the 64-bit and the 32-bit version is a very good thing and will provide a great foundation for future development in years to come.

I am glad that I upgraded -- having more realtracks and styles to choose from is always a good thing, in my opinion.

As I use the 2020 version more, I'll report any further findings to the group, good or bad.

Charlie Hull

Thanks, David for that comprehensive diddertation on the features of the 2020 BIAB. I nstalled the 32-bit version to enable use of the Garritan Big Band sounds.

Charlie Hull

Jeff Miller

I have also upgraded to BIAB2020 (Audiophile) my comments are below:

-Jeff

---- Below is some of what David Bailey wrote and my responses:

The appearance onscreen on my computer (the same one that I've been running BIAB2018 on) looks just a bit crisper, clearer.  However this might just be my impression since I can't compare, having installed 2020 into the same folder that I had 2018 in.

Agreed, even crisper (higher resolution) than 2019 which I upgraded from. This works for my old eyes.

One of the first things I notice are the two question mark icons -- one is large and is in the menu bar of icons for New, Open, Prev/Next, etc.

The other is smaller and sits to the right of the Audio radio-button.  I don't recall that from 2018, and I don't know whether it's part of 2019, but in 2020 it seems very helpful.  Both of these question marks open up a dialog called "Feature Browser" that allows the user to scroll down a list on the left of major BIAB features and when we select one, an information panel shows where the feature can be found, what it does, and some information on how to use it.  Very nice!

This is a new feature and VERY HELPFUL to get the most out of BIAB2020.

One long-standing gripe that for some reason (most likely because it would require a very expensive total rewrite of the main BIAB program

code) PGMusic hasn't fixed is that we still can't put more than 4 chords in a single measure.  At this point it's safe to assume that will never ever happen.  BUT, the good news on this is that Bob Norton still has his "Expanded Styles" for sale, where he has programmed styles that allow us to use 2 measures of the chord-entry spread-sheet to equal one measure of a song, and simply by doubling the tempo we get 8 chord positions (along with BIAB's push capabilities!) for each measure and Bob's clever style designing skills allow us to end up with songs that sound correctly at the original song's tempo.

Since there’s a “workaround” available perhaps we all haven’t complained enough about this glaring issue. I for one think it can be fixed and should be.

Everything else seems as it always has been for at least the 2017 and

2018 versions.

…and 2019

I really like the new real styles that I've auditioned -- This is obviously where the bulk of PGMusic's development dollars have gone.

However for quick and easy accompaniments during my music lessons, I still go for the midi-only styles.

The new styles are on an order of magnitude “better” than the previous, sometimes amateurish styles. Some were so good I was shocked at the level of complexity and perfect application to the song.

Since I don't use the DAW plugin capability of BIAB, I can't speak to whether their claims of a more robust version in the 2020 edition of BIAB are valid or not, but other than the new realtracks and new styles I don't see a lot of improvement, at least for how I use BIAB, over the

2018 version.  However, I think that making it a true 64-bit application as well as installing both the 64-bit and the 32-bit version is a very good thing and will provide a great foundation for future development in years to come.

I do use the DAW plugin (not always but often enough) and previously it was buggy at best. So far it seems much smoother. I used to find that if I had many other plugins running it would really bog down ProTools (or whatever DAW I happened to be using at the moment.) It seems a lot lighter on its feet now.

I am glad that I upgraded -- having more realtracks and styles to choose from is always a good thing, in my opinion.

I’ve upgraded every year since 2010. I believe it’s worth it, but to each his own.

  • Jeff