Larry Gibson

For anyone interested, BIAB 2020 is now available on the P G Music website. I have not checked it out yet..... just passing the info along.

-- Larry Gibson

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 2:07 PM bktelt via Groups.Io <bktelt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good job and bye bye Yahoo!!!!!

Media Production

Look forward to any critiques and overviews of BIAB 2020......maybe D. Bailey will post his initital feedback on BIAB 2020.

Rodger

Sent: Monday, December 02, 2019 12:36 PM
Subject: [Band-In-A-Box] BIAB 2020 Available

For anyone interested, BIAB 2020 is now available on the P G Music website. I have not checked it out yet..... just passing the info along.

-- Larry Gibson

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019, 2:07 PM bktelt via Groups.Io <bktelt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Good job and bye bye Yahoo!!!!!

okidoken@...

Thank you Alisdair for spearheading the transfer to this chat group and looking forward for the new BIAB 2020 !

okidoken

David H. Bailey

On 12/2/2019 4:48 PM, Media Production wrote:
Look forward to any critiques and overviews of BIAB 2020......maybe D. Bailey will post his initital feedback on BIAB 2020.
I just checked it out at the PGMusic web-site, and since I did not upgrade to BIAB2019 I think I am leaning towards upgrading to BIAB2020.

I've always gotten the "UltraPak+" version, which will cost me $20 more than what it would have cost if I had upgraded to BIAB2019, so I think that by skipping the 2019 version I have saved myself $150 overall.

But pricing aside, one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading this year is the increase in real styles and real instruments, as well as the two new sets of all-midi styles.

There is a chart on this page:
<https://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.ultrapakplus.htm>
Some of the items in the chart haven't changes since the 2017 version, others have increased dramatically over the 2017 and 2018 versions but not so much since the 2019 version.

For the guitarists among us, the guitar window has supposedly been revamped so that now it can show the long-standing right-handed-guitar stuff but also it supposedly now includes a left-handed-guitar view as well as a right-handed-student view and a left-handed-student view. It seems the student views will appear to the student as if they were looking at their teacher's guitar in a lesson. Helpful? Who knows -- I teach some guitar lessons and find that often students can't look at my chord shape and easily do it on their guitar until I help them place their fingers. But at least it's an additional feature that might help some people.

The render-to-audio dialog now has user-selectable bit depth and sample rates.

The song-picker window now supports larger song lists, up to 60,000 song files.

Intros have now got the option to have bass/drums only or drums only.

The style-picker dialog will now check for new styles and RealTracks and RealDrums at startup and if we click YES it will rebuilt the lists. That's a great new feature since in the past when we've downloaded new content like that we've had to remember to rebuild the styles list ourselves.

MusicXML has been improved, which at least for my use, will be a good thing to get better transfer of data into a notation program.

Then they include the ubiquitous "and more!" -- I wish they would make a simple bulleted list showing all 50 of the supposed enhancements in 2020. I hate it when software companies claim a certain number of improvements but then fail to list them all so we're left scratching our heads and hoping they're right and not just blowing smoke.

Listening to some of the demos of the new RealTracks and styles (both real and midi) I think that there is enough new material to make it worthwhile for me to upgrade to 2020.

Getting back to the table I gave the link to earlier, compared to my 2018 version, there are 400 new RealTracks and RealDrums, there are 400 more hours of studio recording, 2020 is 64-bit whereas 2018 was still only 32-bit.

So I think I've convinced myself to upgrade this year -- I'm not so sure it's a great upgrade from the 2019 version -- there's only 200 new RealTracks and RealDrums over the 2019 version, and only 200 more recording hours over the 2019 version.

When it arrives and I have a chance to play around with the 2020 version I'll post my findings.

The basic core of the program seems unchanged -- creating accompaniment files to play along with, but the new sounds and the added functionality may be a great improvement over the core use of the program for many people.

Media Production

Hi Dave--

Thanks for the fast overview --awesome.

Can you explain in more detail about rebuilding Styles List--- that has not been in my work flow in using BIAB so I'm not familiar with having to rebuild Styles List.
I thought it was automatic after a new download.

"The style-picker dialog will now check for new styles and RealTracks and
RealDrums at startup and if we click YES it will rebuilt the lists. That's a great new feature since in the past when we've downloaded new
content like that we've had to remember to rebuild the styles list ourselves."

Also, I'm wondering if the VST DAW plugin is more robust or faster in any new 64 bit code/algorithym updates and if there are any new improvements in a DAW VST work flow.
It would be good to know if there is progressive development in the VST plugin.

Rodger

On 12/3/2019 6:20 AM, Media Production wrote:
Hi Dave--
Thanks for the fast overview --awesome.
Can you explain in more detail about rebuilding Styles List--- that has not been in my work flow in using BIAB so I'm not familiar with having to rebuild Styles List.
I thought it was automatic after a new download.
"The style-picker dialog will now check for new styles and RealTracks and
RealDrums at startup and if we click YES it will rebuilt the lists. That's a great new feature since in the past when we've downloaded new
content like that we've had to remember to rebuild the styles list ourselves."
Also, I'm wondering if the VST DAW plugin is more robust or faster in any new 64 bit code/algorithym updates and if there are any new improvements in a DAW VST work flow.
It would be good to know if there is progressive development in the VST plugin.
[snip]

In the past (version 2018 and earlier) whenever I've added new styles, either from PGMusic or Bob Norton, I've forgotten to manually rebuild the styles list in the stylepicker, assuming they would be added automatically. However when I would go looking for one of those new styles I wouldn't find it and then I'd remember to rebuild the styles list and they would all show up. I can't say whether this is a change from 2019 or not, but it's a change from 2018.

They didn't make a big splash about any improvements to the VST DAW plugin so your question would better be made to PGMusic's tech support or possibly check out the PGMusic forum and see what people are saying about it.

I know that some people on this list who tried the VST DAW plugin were disappointed in how it worked, so it would be nice to know whether it has been improved.

joseph doherty

From my reading and browsing of the main PG forum I am of the impression that its mainly a good offering of Realtracks and some midi stuff, the usual as other years.

There is a new multi riff feature in biab but its not really a clear cut case of selecting and regenerating new riffs to fill those bars that you wish new riffs on, does seem complicated enough from the initial read,

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=567988#Post567988

Probably will give it a miss as I have more than enough realtracks

What I am saying is, if I am constructing a song in biab and want a few realtracks in it, not usually much of a problem to audition a few and get them sounding good within the song, but there is no way I have the time to audition most realtracks of a particular instrument to get the best sounding one, having more from this year would not make any difference.

I do think its great though that biab is now a really mature and fairly stable program that really doesn't need much more added to it.

As we are mainly all guys of a certain age and love biab still great to ask Santa for the gift and buying it will I am sure help and support PG music..