Problem with sound

David H. Bailey

On 9/9/2017 11:50 AM, John Thomas jatncnc@gmail.com [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:
My keyboard does have sound. I finally figured out that some of the styles are Midi only.  That helped. But I don't know which ones have the drum track going in a different direction.
In BIAB's style-picker there is a filter you can set to show different sorts of styles (or all styles if you wish). In the upper left part of the style picker window is a row which lists Category, TimeSig, Feel, Tempo, Type, Other, each of which has a drop-down menu from which you can select different options of what to display and how to display it. Also in the style-picker window when you highlight a particular style there is a listing of the instruments at the bottom, showing which are Real and which are Midi.

In the Type drop-down menu the choices are:
All (real first, midi sorted to the bottom)
All [this simply lists them all in alphabetical order with no separation by real, midi, whatever]
Real (no midi)
Real and real w/midi
Midi (no real)
You can see the different things by selecting the different choices and seeing what shows up.

Or you can make the sort yourself by showing All and then clicking on the Type column heading (on my computer that shows as Ty...) and the list will be sorted by whether the style has an R, RM or an M for the type. The styles which are listed as RM have some Real and some Midi instruments.

Mostly PGMusic has all the real styles beginning with an underscore, but there are a couple of styles which describe themselves as "all RealTracks" that have a different naming convention and so they show up differently in the listing.

Discovering which styles are which and which sounds come out of where is mostly a trial-and-error thing and spending lots of time exploring the styles listing.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com

John Thomas

My keyboard does have sound. I finally figured out that some of the styles are Midi only.  That helped. But I don't know which ones have the drum track going in a different direction. 

John

Sent from my Galaxy S5 Android

On Sep 9, 2017 11:45 AM, "D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

John ...

You do not have your routing set up properly. Are you sure you don't have a synth/ workstation? You refer to sending MIDI to your MIDI keyboard, but MIDI keyboards or controllers have no sound. Synths also do not play audio, they only generate sound modules with audio output from MIDI input ... so there is no way a synth/ workstation would be playing the audio from a BIAB file with audio and MIDI as in a RealDrums style.

The lag you hear is because you are sending audio to one output, your computer, and MIDI to another, to another.

I think your solutions will be to choose one or the other. If you want to use RealDrums MIDI styles you will have to use a softsynth with BIAB or you will have to use RealBand or some other DAW that can accommodate routing both audio and MIDI through it with some way to offset/ delay the audio to synch with you synth/ workstation.

DF

From: "John Thomas jatncnc@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...>
To: Band-in-a-Box@...
Sent: Saturday, September 9, 2017 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: [Band-in-a-Box] Problem with sound

On a related issue, sometimes when I choose a MIDI style, the drum track is sent to my computer speakers, and the rest of the tracks are sent to my attached MIDI keyboard.  And what's worse, the drum track is ahead of the MIDI tracks.  I have to mute the drum track to be able to use it at all.  On example is ZZBLUSTR.STY. Blues Straight Style.

Any ideas what is going on?

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

My first thought is you are using a style with RealDrums and you have audio, but no MIDI.

Look through your MIDI routing to make sure BIAB is accessing whatever MIDI sound module your are using.

DF

From: "Herb Thompson eherbthompson@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@... >
Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 8:23 AM
Subject: [Band-in-a-Box] Problem with sound

I recently had to re-install BIAB2017. After I did the reinstall, I get
only drums on playback. I'm sure there must be something that has
everything else muted but I can't find it. Any help or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

D F Tweedie

John ...

You do not have your routing set up properly. Are you sure you don't have a synth/ workstation? You refer to sending MIDI to your MIDI keyboard, but MIDI keyboards or controllers have no sound. Synths also do not play audio, they only generate sound modules with audio output from MIDI input ... so there is no way a synth/ workstation would be playing the audio from a BIAB file with audio and MIDI as in a RealDrums style.

The lag you hear is because you are sending audio to one output, your computer, and MIDI to another, to another.

I think your solutions will be to choose one or the other. If you want to use RealDrums MIDI styles you will have to use a softsynth with BIAB or you will have to use RealBand or some other DAW that can accommodate routing both audio and MIDI through it with some way to offset/ delay the audio to synch with you synth/ workstation.

DF

Sent: Saturday, September 9, 2017 7:41 AM

On a related issue, sometimes when I choose a MIDI style, the drum track is sent to my computer speakers, and the rest of the tracks are sent to my attached MIDI keyboard.  And what's worse, the drum track is ahead of the MIDI tracks.  I have to mute the drum track to be able to use it at all.  On example is ZZBLUSTR.STY. Blues Straight Style.

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 12:40 PM, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

My first thought is you are using a style with RealDrums and you have audio, but no MIDI.

Look through your MIDI routing to make sure BIAB is accessing whatever MIDI sound module your are using.

DF

From: "Herb Thompson eherbthompson@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@... >

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

John Thomas

DF

From: "Herb Thompson eherbthompson@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...>

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

D F Tweedie

My pleasure!

Sent: Friday, September 1, 2017 3:51 PM

That was the problem. Thanks DF

On 9/1/2017 12:40 PM, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

DF

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

eht57

That was the problem. Thanks DF

On 9/1/2017 12:40 PM, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

DF

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

Harald Scherer

Liebe Grüße
Harald
0177 - 2901182
- von unterwegs gesendet -

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 6:41 PM +0200, "D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box]" <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

DF

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

D F Tweedie

DF

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

John Thomas

I get drums only when I play some midi styles without the midi keyboard available to BIAB.  I have no idea why those styles send the drum track to a different output.

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Herb Thompson eherbthompson@... [Band-in-a-Box] <Band-in-a-Box@...> wrote:

be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson

eht57

I recently had to re-install BIAB2017. After I did the reinstall, I get only drums on playback. I'm sure there must be something that has everything else muted but I can't find it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Herb Thompson