Tempo export to Cubase

Khunt Otto

Hi,

can someone point me, how to export tempo changes from BiaB to Cubase 9?

Made a Playback file for my son and wanted to get the tempo changes into Cubase, but didn't find a way. Tried exporting midi, drag and drop midi, no way to get the ritardandos in my DAW

any help would be appreciated, especially for my son, a member of the vienna boys choir

best regards
Otto

Neal Walters

It would seem to me that, if you export the BiaB file as a .wav file, the tempo changes would be baked in when you opened the .wav file in Cubase ...

Alternatively, why not make the tempo changes in Cubase after you export the track from BiaB using a Cubase tempo track?

Neal Walters
Doofus Music/Basement Music
12228 Hollowell Church Rd, Greencastle, PA 17225

On 4/10/2017 12:05 PM, st.o@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Hi,

can someone point me, how to export tempo changes from BiaB to Cubase 9?

Made a Playback file for my son and wanted to get the tempo changes into Cubase, but didn't find a way. Tried exporting midi, drag and drop midi, no way to get the ritardandos in my DAW

any help would be appreciated, especially for my son, a member of the vienna boys choir

best regards
Otto

Khunt Otto

The tempo changes are baked in, that's correct, but the tempo map in Cubase does not match.

Auntie Google told me, that if i export a midi track first, the tempo map in any DAW would be set to BiaB.

In fact, in my case that's wrong

David H. Bailey

On 4/10/2017 12:05 PM, st.o@gmx.at [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Hi,

can someone point me, how to export tempo changes from BiaB to Cubase 9?

Made a Playback file for my son and wanted to get the tempo changes into
Cubase, but didn't find a way. Tried exporting midi, drag and drop midi,
no way to get the ritardandos in my DAW
Curious -- I've never thought about how BIAB handles tempo changes. I always thought it would add a midi tempo command. I guess not. I guess that's stored in the .sgu or .mgu file instead.

I think your best bet, as Neal Walters suggested, is to enter the tempo changes once the midi data is imported into Cubase.

I only have Cubase Elements and it's an older version, but I wonder if there might be an option in the Midi Import dialog (or preferences) to import all controller data or master track data in addition to the basic midi data.

Khunt Otto

> I only have Cubase Elements and it's an older version, but I wonder if
> there might be an option in the Midi Import dialog (or preferences) to
> import all controller data or master track data in addition to the basic
> midi data.

Am on Cubase 9 64bit, will have a look later today.

Some ppl say, that importing only one midi track first imports the tempo map also, but no way on my configuration so far :(

Khunt Otto

it's not only Tempo changes, it's also a change in the song Key when working on a medley!

many times BiaB plays a 7th chord instead of a maj :(

So i have to export the WAVs song by song when key changes occur in a medley

very boring! :(

Hafez Agh <ha_ah_73@...>

On یکشنبه, آوریل ۱۶, ۲۰۱۷ at ۲۲:۲۰, st.o@... [Band-in-a-Box]
wrote:

The tempo changes are baked in, that's correct, but the tempo map in Cubase does not match.

Auntie Google told me, that if i export a midi track first, the tempo map in any DAW would be set to BiaB.

In fact, in my case that's wrong

Neal Walters

If it doesn't do it automatically, then I would think you could tell Cubase to generate a tempo track from the midi file ...

On 4/16/2017 1:53 PM, Hafez Agh ha_ah_73@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

The tempo changes are baked in, that's correct, but the tempo map in Cubase does not match.

Auntie Google told me, that if i export a midi track first, the tempo map in any DAW would be set to BiaB.

In fact, in my case that's wrong

Dave Nuttall

It's not just Cubase, ProTools will ignore tempo, key and time signatures.

On 4/16/2017 12:53 PM, Hafez Agh ha_ah_73@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

The tempo changes are baked in, that's correct, but the tempo map in Cubase does not match.

Auntie Google told me, that if i export a midi track first, the tempo map in any DAW would be set to BiaB.

In fact, in my case that's wrong

D F Tweedie

Whatever is in the MIDI file will be imported into Cubase along with the file. BIAB permits you to select what you want included in your exported MIDI files.

If the MIDI file had controller data, it will be there.

Normally, there is no such thing as a 'tempo map.' There is just the tempo settings embedded in the MIDI file itself.

'Tempo maps' are midi files with variable tempo created from live performance in order to synch MIDI to the original tempo of the recorded real performance.

> I only have Cubase Elements and it's an older version, but I wonder if
> there might be an option in the Midi Import dialog (or preferences) to
> import all controller data or master track data in addition to the basic
> midi data.

Am on Cubase 9 64bit, will have a look later today.

Some ppl say, that importing only one midi track first imports the tempo map also, but no way on my configuration so far :(

D F Tweedie

I don't think I understand exactly what you are trying to do.

It almost sounds like you are importing wav files from BIAB realstyles into Cubase. If so, I'm not sure where BIAB saves any master MIDI file with tempo information. Perhaps someone else can clarify that.

But if you can find and export one, here is a video about how to import it to Cubase and transform it to a tempo map.

The tempo changes are baked in, that's correct, but the tempo map in Cubase does not match.

Auntie Google told me, that if i export a midi track first, the tempo map in any DAW would be set to BiaB.

In fact, in my case that's wrong

Khunt Otto

I think it's solved as long as the drum track is exported as midi, I will have a closer look later

Khunt Otto

I think i solved the problem after converting the realdrums to MIDI and importing it in cubase.

Will have a closer look and report back

Media Production

can you share the steps you used to convert a BIAB real drum track to a MIDI File

Rodger

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:17 AM

I think i solved the problem after converting the realdrums to MIDI and importing it in cubase.

Will have a closer look and report back

Dave Nuttall

One way would be to change the drums to MIDI drums in BIAB before exporting the MIDI.

Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:17 AM

I think i solved the problem after converting the realdrums to MIDI and importing it in cubase.

Will have a closer look and report back

Khunt Otto

will try again today if this is solving the problem and report back later