Date   

Re: Celtic Music #BiaB2021

rob
 

David, I guess anything that has to do with this style of music, and I will also look through the archives to, thanks David   rob! 

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 06:00:36 a.m. EST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:


On 2/1/2021 4:35 AM, rob via groups.io wrote:
> where can i download biab celtic music files thanks in advance and
> really appreciate all your help so far. Good to be here rob!
[snip]

Have you looked through the archived BIAB files at the groups.io page?
You'd have to search for specific song titles.

Are you looking for BIAB backing tracks to play along with or are you
looking for BIAB files that include melodies?


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com






Re: Celtic Music #BiaB2021

David H. Bailey
 

On 2/1/2021 4:35 AM, rob via groups.io wrote:
where can i download biab celtic music files thanks in advance and really appreciate all your help so far. Good to be here rob!
[snip]

Have you looked through the archived BIAB files at the groups.io page? You'd have to search for specific song titles.

Are you looking for BIAB backing tracks to play along with or are you looking for BIAB files that include melodies?


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com


Celtic Music #BiaB2021

rob
 

where can i download biab celtic music files thanks in advance and really appreciate all your help so far. Good to be here rob! 


Re: Performing With Band-in-a-box – Guest Blog Post by Roy Woolliams

rob
 

does anybody know where I can download Celtic music biab files . Thanks in advance rob! great to be part of this group ! 

On Monday, February 1, 2021, 01:12:13 a.m. EST, Jim Mings <jamesmings2@...> wrote:


!


On Jan 31, 2021, at 9:49 PM, Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...> wrote:


On 1/26/2021 10:15 PM, bsfdl wrote:
AMEN !

For the backing tracks for my duo I only use MIDI. I use either a PG Music style, a Norton Music style, or I start from scratch if there is no appropriate style for the song I'm sequencing.

Even when I use a PG or Norton style, much goes into it after I export from BiaB and before I'm done. Here is a sampling of what I might do to a song before it's ready for stage:
  • I may add an instrument for song specific licks, and/or modify existing instruments for those song specifkc licks
  • I will look for BiaB's wrong notes and fix them (with MIDI the right note is a click or two away). Yes BiaB does occasionaly play a wrong note here and there
  • I might change the inversion or octave of some parts. Sometimes BiaB might make one bar or two in the comp part an octave too high
  • I'll get rid of the 3rds in a 5 chord (some call them power chords, but really they are a 1-5 interval)
  • I may move drum rolls around, erase them when I don't want them before an A/B or B/A section change
  • Change instruments, that piano might sound better for this song as a Rhodes or a jazz guitar. That guitar might sound better muted, as a clav, or simply as a guitar with different tone, that brass section might sound better as a sax section, etc.
  • I might change certain drum instruments, say a cowbell to a ride bell, it's just a click and drag away
  • It might need a long intro or end (many of my user styles at nortonmusic.com have MIDI long intros and ends that can be copied and pasted, or I might make one of my own
  • I might add ritardandos, accelerandos, crescendos, or diminuendos - some things BiaB is not good at, but are easy in a sequencer or DAW
  • Sometimes the shots in BiaB don't include all the instruments, easily done in MIDI
  • Sometimes a shot is not enough and you need a rhythmic kick, can't do that in real tracks
  • And so on. MIDI is thousands of times more editable than audio and manipulating the MIDI output can make the good output of Band-in-a-Box into something truly excellent. 

When I'm all done adding/subtracting/switching/manipulating I balance the parts and record as a WAV file. With hard drive capacities as large as they are today, I'd keep them in the WAV format, but I started doing this in the prehistoric microcomputer days when storage was limited so I rip them to a 192kbps mp3 file often with VBR and always with the Q (quality) set at the highest setting.

Don't get me wrong, IMO BiaB is still the best auto-accompaniment app out there, hardware or software -- and I've written styles under contract for a few others. But IMO it is not ready for gigging. Oh, you can get by with it, but why get by when with a little time invested you can be better than your competition?

It does take some time, and the more you do it the better you get at it, but it's PLAYing music, and isn't that what we do? We don't call it working music or laboring music; it's called playing music for a good reason.

Insights and incites by Notes

---===«<>»===---
Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
BiaB User Styles that will make your band 'Jump-Out-Of-The-Box'.



Re: Performing With Band-in-a-box – Guest Blog Post by Roy Woolliams

Jim Mings
 

!


On Jan 31, 2021, at 9:49 PM, Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...> wrote:

 On 1/26/2021 10:15 PM, bsfdl wrote:
AMEN !

For the backing tracks for my duo I only use MIDI. I use either a PG Music style, a Norton Music style, or I start from scratch if there is no appropriate style for the song I'm sequencing.

Even when I use a PG or Norton style, much goes into it after I export from BiaB and before I'm done. Here is a sampling of what I might do to a song before it's ready for stage:
  • I may add an instrument for song specific licks, and/or modify existing instruments for those song specifkc licks
  • I will look for BiaB's wrong notes and fix them (with MIDI the right note is a click or two away). Yes BiaB does occasionaly play a wrong note here and there
  • I might change the inversion or octave of some parts. Sometimes BiaB might make one bar or two in the comp part an octave too high
  • I'll get rid of the 3rds in a 5 chord (some call them power chords, but really they are a 1-5 interval)
  • I may move drum rolls around, erase them when I don't want them before an A/B or B/A section change
  • Change instruments, that piano might sound better for this song as a Rhodes or a jazz guitar. That guitar might sound better muted, as a clav, or simply as a guitar with different tone, that brass section might sound better as a sax section, etc.
  • I might change certain drum instruments, say a cowbell to a ride bell, it's just a click and drag away
  • It might need a long intro or end (many of my user styles at nortonmusic.com have MIDI long intros and ends that can be copied and pasted, or I might make one of my own
  • I might add ritardandos, accelerandos, crescendos, or diminuendos - some things BiaB is not good at, but are easy in a sequencer or DAW
  • Sometimes the shots in BiaB don't include all the instruments, easily done in MIDI
  • Sometimes a shot is not enough and you need a rhythmic kick, can't do that in real tracks
  • And so on. MIDI is thousands of times more editable than audio and manipulating the MIDI output can make the good output of Band-in-a-Box into something truly excellent. 

When I'm all done adding/subtracting/switching/manipulating I balance the parts and record as a WAV file. With hard drive capacities as large as they are today, I'd keep them in the WAV format, but I started doing this in the prehistoric microcomputer days when storage was limited so I rip them to a 192kbps mp3 file often with VBR and always with the Q (quality) set at the highest setting.

Don't get me wrong, IMO BiaB is still the best auto-accompaniment app out there, hardware or software -- and I've written styles under contract for a few others. But IMO it is not ready for gigging. Oh, you can get by with it, but why get by when with a little time invested you can be better than your competition?

It does take some time, and the more you do it the better you get at it, but it's PLAYing music, and isn't that what we do? We don't call it working music or laboring music; it's called playing music for a good reason.

Insights and incites by Notes

---===«<>»===---
Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
BiaB User Styles that will make your band 'Jump-Out-Of-The-Box'.



Re: Performing With Band-in-a-box – Guest Blog Post by Roy Woolliams

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>
 

On 1/26/2021 10:15 PM, bsfdl wrote:
AMEN !

For the backing tracks for my duo I only use MIDI. I use either a PG Music style, a Norton Music style, or I start from scratch if there is no appropriate style for the song I'm sequencing.

Even when I use a PG or Norton style, much goes into it after I export from BiaB and before I'm done. Here is a sampling of what I might do to a song before it's ready for stage:
  • I may add an instrument for song specific licks, and/or modify existing instruments for those song specifkc licks
  • I will look for BiaB's wrong notes and fix them (with MIDI the right note is a click or two away). Yes BiaB does occasionaly play a wrong note here and there
  • I might change the inversion or octave of some parts. Sometimes BiaB might make one bar or two in the comp part an octave too high
  • I'll get rid of the 3rds in a 5 chord (some call them power chords, but really they are a 1-5 interval)
  • I may move drum rolls around, erase them when I don't want them before an A/B or B/A section change
  • Change instruments, that piano might sound better for this song as a Rhodes or a jazz guitar. That guitar might sound better muted, as a clav, or simply as a guitar with different tone, that brass section might sound better as a sax section, etc.
  • I might change certain drum instruments, say a cowbell to a ride bell, it's just a click and drag away
  • It might need a long intro or end (many of my user styles at nortonmusic.com have MIDI long intros and ends that can be copied and pasted, or I might make one of my own
  • I might add ritardandos, accelerandos, crescendos, or diminuendos - some things BiaB is not good at, but are easy in a sequencer or DAW
  • Sometimes the shots in BiaB don't include all the instruments, easily done in MIDI
  • Sometimes a shot is not enough and you need a rhythmic kick, can't do that in real tracks
  • And so on. MIDI is thousands of times more editable than audio and manipulating the MIDI output can make the good output of Band-in-a-Box into something truly excellent. 

When I'm all done adding/subtracting/switching/manipulating I balance the parts and record as a WAV file. With hard drive capacities as large as they are today, I'd keep them in the WAV format, but I started doing this in the prehistoric microcomputer days when storage was limited so I rip them to a 192kbps mp3 file often with VBR and always with the Q (quality) set at the highest setting.

Don't get me wrong, IMO BiaB is still the best auto-accompaniment app out there, hardware or software -- and I've written styles under contract for a few others. But IMO it is not ready for gigging. Oh, you can get by with it, but why get by when with a little time invested you can be better than your competition?

It does take some time, and the more you do it the better you get at it, but it's PLAYing music, and isn't that what we do? We don't call it working music or laboring music; it's called playing music for a good reason.

Insights and incites by Notes

---===«<>»===---
Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
BiaB User Styles that will make your band 'Jump-Out-Of-The-Box'.



Re: Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

D F Tweedie
 

Yes ... but that normalization is to set peak levels as high as possible "without clipping."

I am interested in setting a dBFS peak level of -6.

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 3:26:07 PM PST, <geoff@...> wrote:


When rendering out audio there is an option to normalize audio files in the dialog box


Re: Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

geoff@...
 

When rendering out audio there is an option to normalize audio files in the dialog box


Re: Patch 818 Available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com

D F Tweedie
 

Ditto! Got to see if the DAW Plugin path resets are working.

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 10:59:01 AM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:


On 1/29/2021 12:13 PM, Hayward Martin wrote:
> Just an FYI:  Patch 818 is now available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com.

Thanks for the heads up -- it's so new that when I started BIAB2021 and
clicked on "Check For Updates" the program reported that it was
up-to-date, even though it was only version .814, not 818.  Luckily we
can simply go to pgmusic.com and download the update anytime we want, so
I did that and am now current with patch 818.

Thanks!


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com






Re: Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

D F Tweedie
 

Thanks, David ...

I'm thinking those 'Global Volume Adjust' features only apply to the default setting in the mixer for the RealTracks and RealDrums.

And yes, I've rendered both without and with the normalization checked. In both cases there is variation between different files depending on how hot it can be normalized without clipping and depending on a files non-normailized gain structure.

Two files I recall from yesterday were rendered non-normalized at -2.5 dBFS and -10.1 dBFS respectively.

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 3:02:37 AM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:


On 1/28/2021 9:26 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?
>
> It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as
> possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS,
> which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of
> input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS.
> Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an
> example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.
>
> Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any
> normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be
> able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen
> level. Can't be that hard.

>
[snip]

I can't find anything adjustable about "normalization" in any of the
settings of BIAB.  When using the Render To Audio File (not the Quick
Render function) there is a check box for "normalization" but no way to
adjust the level that is normalized to and the wording makes me wary
because the popup that appears when you let the mouse pointer hover over
the checkbox says it will "increase the volume to the maximum level
without distortion (clipping) . . . "  Do you render to audio files
with that box checked?  Have you compared versions with that checked and
unchecked?

I have found two settings which might accomplish what you're looking
for.  In both the RealTracks and RealDrums dialogs within the
Preferences settings there is a setting labeled "Global Volume Adjust"
which by default is set at 0db.  You could experiment setting that to
-6db and then check the level of rendered audio files.

If that doesn't produce the desired effect then you could contact
PGMusic support staff and make a request.

--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com






Re: When Generating RealTracks and RealDrums For A Song Where Are The Rendered Tracks Saved?

D F Tweedie
 

Makes sense, David ... except for when you copy a generated RealTrack to the Audio or Utility Track. Since you can copy/ paste and edit those ... as well as import your own audio into BIAB, I'm thinking those type files
must actually be stored somewhere?

I have discovered where BIAB places the files that are rendered when using the DAW Plugin. Unfortunately it is on the C: drive in a bb subfolder. While you are supposed to be able to change the path for this from the DAW Plugin Preferences to a drive of your choide, currently it does not function. That's the same issue I mentioned before regarding changing the paths to an internal drive for your RealTracks and RealDrums. As of update 814 it is not functioning.

There is some voodoo with Pro Tools. Normally when you import audio into Pro Tools you are asked if you want to copy the audio to the project folder or simply add a linked path to where the files are located at the time of import. So I checked in the session subfolders 'audio' and 'bounced' to see if the DAW Plugin rendered files were in either location ... and they weren't. So Pro Tools allows BIAB to automatically create that linked path behind the scenes. The sticky wicket is that Pro Tools is very nasty about not finding files it believes are supposed to be in a certain location, so you have to think long and hard about when and how to use the 'Clear Rendered' button in the DAW Plugin preferences.

One final puzzle I've yet to encounter is what happens when you load the DAW Plugin into a session other than 44.1 K sample rate. In those instances with audio file importing Pro Tools then does sample conversion and places the files in the 'audio' sub-folder.

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 2:48:38 AM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:


On 1/28/2021 9:01 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:

> I may totally misunderstand this, but it occurs to me that at some point
> there must be some bloat from rendered RealTracks and RealDrums and the
> need to cull them for songs you no longer are using or want to delete. A
> 3 minute 16bit 44.1k stereo file is about 40 MB, so a BIAB 5 track song
> with RealTracks and RealDrums depending on how many are stereo or mono,
> but for an example lets say 2 stereo and 3 mono, would be about 150 MB.
> Even in today's storage that can add up pretty fast.
>
> They are obviously not part of the *.SGU files as those are measured in
> KB. So then, are they stored as rendered files or does the *.SGU file
> simply pull up specific sections of RealTrack or RealDrum from the last
> time you played the song, assuming you haven't regenerated?
>
> This or course assumes you haven't used the Audio Editor to copy/ paste
> a RealTrack onto a utility track. It seems to me that such copied tracks
> must be saved in their entirety somewhere.

>
[snip]

Are you talking about the files that are created when we click the Play
icon?  My guess (and it's only a guess) is that those tracks are
compiled in RAM only and not written to the hard drive unless/until we
ask BIAB to render a wav or mp3 file.  These days, with computers all
coming with at least 8GB of RAM, placing 150MB of data in RAM is a drop
in the bucket.

I guess that the "utility tracks" are also stored in RAM while the song
is being worked on.

My guess also is that BIAB works with "frozen" tracks by using pointers
to sections within the realtracks and realdrums files, not by actually
saving that audio data anywhere on a computer's hard drive.

As you say computer's hard drives would fill up fairly quickly for a
person who might work with 10 or 20 BIAB files each day, if all those
tracks are actually saved as audio data.

I also guess that PGMusic is not about to release any information on any
of this because that's all part of the BIAB "magic" -- all these
wonderful backing tracks and not needing a lot of extra storage for .sgu
files over and above the huge amount of storage needed for the actual
realtracks and realdrums files.


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com






Re: Patch 818 Available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com

Hayward Martin
 

David…  

 

I think that I may have found a problem with 818.    I noticed on song that I had been working on.

I had put a “Rest” in the 3rd beat of a bar, but, when playing it back… the rest occurs on the following bar.  Don’t know if it’s just me or I’m just confused (as usual).

 I sent and email to support@..., but haven’t heard anything back yet.

 

Hayward

 

 

From: David H. Bailey
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 1:59 PM
To: main@Band-In-A-Box.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Band-In-A-Box] Patch 818 Available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com

 

On 1/29/2021 12:13 PM, Hayward Martin wrote:
> Just an FYI:  Patch 818 is now available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com.

Thanks for the heads up -- it's so new that when I started BIAB2021 and
clicked on "Check For Updates" the program reported that it was
up-to-date, even though it was only version .814, not 818.  Luckily we
can simply go to pgmusic.com and download the update anytime we want, so
I did that and am now current with patch 818.

Thanks!


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@...
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com




 


Re: Patch 818 Available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com

David H. Bailey
 

On 1/29/2021 12:13 PM, Hayward Martin wrote:
Just an FYI:  Patch 818 is now available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com.
Thanks for the heads up -- it's so new that when I started BIAB2021 and clicked on "Check For Updates" the program reported that it was up-to-date, even though it was only version .814, not 818. Luckily we can simply go to pgmusic.com and download the update anytime we want, so I did that and am now current with patch 818.

Thanks!


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com


Patch 818 Available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com

Hayward Martin
 

Just an FYI:  Patch 818 is now available for BIAB 2021 on pgmusic.com.   


Re: Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

David H. Bailey
 

On 1/28/2021 9:26 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?
It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS, which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS. Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.
Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen level. Can't be that hard.
[snip]

I can't find anything adjustable about "normalization" in any of the settings of BIAB. When using the Render To Audio File (not the Quick Render function) there is a check box for "normalization" but no way to adjust the level that is normalized to and the wording makes me wary because the popup that appears when you let the mouse pointer hover over the checkbox says it will "increase the volume to the maximum level without distortion (clipping) . . . " Do you render to audio files with that box checked? Have you compared versions with that checked and unchecked?

I have found two settings which might accomplish what you're looking for. In both the RealTracks and RealDrums dialogs within the Preferences settings there is a setting labeled "Global Volume Adjust" which by default is set at 0db. You could experiment setting that to -6db and then check the level of rendered audio files.

If that doesn't produce the desired effect then you could contact PGMusic support staff and make a request.

--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com


Re: When Generating RealTracks and RealDrums For A Song Where Are The Rendered Tracks Saved?

David H. Bailey
 

On 1/28/2021 9:01 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
I may totally misunderstand this, but it occurs to me that at some point there must be some bloat from rendered RealTracks and RealDrums and the need to cull them for songs you no longer are using or want to delete. A 3 minute 16bit 44.1k stereo file is about 40 MB, so a BIAB 5 track song with RealTracks and RealDrums depending on how many are stereo or mono, but for an example lets say 2 stereo and 3 mono, would be about 150 MB. Even in today's storage that can add up pretty fast.
They are obviously not part of the *.SGU files as those are measured in KB. So then, are they stored as rendered files or does the *.SGU file simply pull up specific sections of RealTrack or RealDrum from the last time you played the song, assuming you haven't regenerated?
This or course assumes you haven't used the Audio Editor to copy/ paste a RealTrack onto a utility track. It seems to me that such copied tracks must be saved in their entirety somewhere.
[snip]

Are you talking about the files that are created when we click the Play icon? My guess (and it's only a guess) is that those tracks are compiled in RAM only and not written to the hard drive unless/until we ask BIAB to render a wav or mp3 file. These days, with computers all coming with at least 8GB of RAM, placing 150MB of data in RAM is a drop in the bucket.

I guess that the "utility tracks" are also stored in RAM while the song is being worked on.

My guess also is that BIAB works with "frozen" tracks by using pointers to sections within the realtracks and realdrums files, not by actually saving that audio data anywhere on a computer's hard drive.

As you say computer's hard drives would fill up fairly quickly for a person who might work with 10 or 20 BIAB files each day, if all those tracks are actually saved as audio data.

I also guess that PGMusic is not about to release any information on any of this because that's all part of the BIAB "magic" -- all these wonderful backing tracks and not needing a lot of extra storage for .sgu files over and above the huge amount of storage needed for the actual realtracks and realdrums files.


--
*****
David H. Bailey
dhbailey52@comcast.net
http://www.davidbaileymusicstudio.com


Normalization Levels on Rendering RealTracks

D F Tweedie
 

Does anyone know of a way to set the normalization level upon rendering?

It appears that BIAB's default anyway it to set the track as loud as possible without clipping, This results in Peak levels of -0.5 dBFS, which is a PITA for mixing and necessitating file by file adjustments of input gain levels. I'd like to be able to set the rendering to -6 dBFS. Many files even without Normalization are hotter than this. As an example an un-Normalized even 8 Conga track came across reading -2.5 dBFS.

Maybe this is a feature 'Wishlist' campaign item, but almost any normalization plugin in an audio editor has a variable threshold to be able to raise or lower audio without affecting dynamics to a chosen level. Can't be that hard.

Thanks for your thoughts or info.

DF


When Generating RealTracks and RealDrums For A Song Where Are The Rendered Tracks Saved?

D F Tweedie
 

I may totally misunderstand this, but it occurs to me that at some point there must be some bloat from rendered RealTracks and RealDrums and the need to cull them for songs you no longer are using or want to delete. A 3 minute 16bit 44.1k stereo file is about 40 MB, so a BIAB 5 track song with RealTracks and RealDrums depending on how many are stereo or mono, but for an example lets say 2 stereo and 3 mono, would be about 150 MB. Even in today's storage that can add up pretty fast.

They are obviously not part of the *.SGU files as those are measured in KB. So then, are they stored as rendered files or does the *.SGU file simply pull up specific sections of RealTrack or RealDrum from the last time you played the song, assuming you haven't regenerated?

This or course assumes you haven't used the Audio Editor to copy/ paste a RealTrack onto a utility track. It seems to me that such copied tracks must be saved in their entirety somewhere.

Thanks for any info.

DF


Re: Performing With Band-in-a-box – Guest Blog Post by Roy Woolliams

bsfdl
 

AMEN !

On 1/26/2021 3:34 PM, bb@... wrote:
I played my first paying gig in 1957 (I was in the seventh grade at the time) and in over sixty years of doing live performances (including a decade on the road in the ‘70's) I’ve never played with a drummer who switched trap sets in the middle of a gig.  (I vaguely recall a bass player who brought his upright acoustic bass and a Fender fretless but that was unusual.)  I discovered Band-in-a-Box in 2006 after our boomchuck piano player died (I thought I felt a small earthquake as Pat, who was quite large, turned over in her grave having been replaced by software) and I had accumulated something like 3000 Styles when it dawned on me that more is not always better.  I selected about 100 Styles for a working base with which to create a unique Style for almost every tune I added to the book.  (As Bob Norton has pointed out, most songs require at least a bit of customization.)  Like many, for safety reasons I would make Wave files to use onstage – until Band-in-a-Box added the ability to freeze tracks!
Also, like many, I updated Band-in-a-Box each year with the thought in mind that I would support the company that made my life so much simpler.  Then, in the 2014 version, there appeared a new feature, a graphic equalizer!  Not too useful for me as I only used the MIDI capabilities of the program, and there was no way I could get rid of the waste of screen space, so I went back to version 2013 and haven’t updated since.
I would very much like to see our Canadian friends break out a new, MIDI only version of Band-in-a-Box which included the new MIDI tools like freezing tracks, Style creation and the capability of easily adding audio tracks and linking them to the MIDI, and totally remove anything having to do with non-MIDI stuff.  Label it “MIDI ONLY” to avoid confusion and viola, they would have a sleek new product in the line for professionals who make their own “real” tracks.


Re: Performing With Band-in-a-box – Guest Blog Post by Roy Woolliams

bb@...
 

I played my first paying gig in 1957 (I was in the seventh grade at the time) and in over sixty years of doing live performances (including a decade on the road in the ‘70's) I’ve never played with a drummer who switched trap sets in the middle of a gig.  (I vaguely recall a bass player who brought his upright acoustic bass and a Fender fretless but that was unusual.)  I discovered Band-in-a-Box in 2006 after our boomchuck piano player died (I thought I felt a small earthquake as Pat, who was quite large, turned over in her grave having been replaced by software) and I had accumulated something like 3000 Styles when it dawned on me that more is not always better.  I selected about 100 Styles for a working base with which to create a unique Style for almost every tune I added to the book.  (As Bob Norton has pointed out, most songs require at least a bit of customization.)  Like many, for safety reasons I would make Wave files to use onstage – until Band-in-a-Box added the ability to freeze tracks!
Also, like many, I updated Band-in-a-Box each year with the thought in mind that I would support the company that made my life so much simpler.  Then, in the 2014 version, there appeared a new feature, a graphic equalizer!  Not too useful for me as I only used the MIDI capabilities of the program, and there was no way I could get rid of the waste of screen space, so I went back to version 2013 and haven’t updated since.
I would very much like to see our Canadian friends break out a new, MIDI only version of Band-in-a-Box which included the new MIDI tools like freezing tracks, Style creation and the capability of easily adding audio tracks and linking them to the MIDI, and totally remove anything having to do with non-MIDI stuff.  Label it “MIDI ONLY” to avoid confusion and viola, they would have a sleek new product in the line for professionals who make their own “real” tracks.

441 - 460 of 49839