Re: Midi vs Real Tracks (cont'd) #RealTracks

William Prentice

I think I'll pass on adding a MIDI interface to my setup.  I don't have any issues with Real Tracks so I have no down time with any technical problems when I am expecting a fun, creative process.

I am not a fan of lossy, wma file formats.  If you ever hear the Audiophile Edition...your ears will never want to go back.  That would be the main reason I would add MIDI to my setup. MIDI sound from a keyboard or a module is higher quality.  It sounds better (more ear pleasing) than the wma Real Tracks.  The wma compression process throws away about 90% of the audio file so it's about 1\10 the original file size...the lost data can never be recovered.  The spectrum analyzer in a DAW will reveal everything above 15k is gone...nothing there...nothing to be recover.  (I've always wondered where the remaining 90% goes...maybe they cut it into 10% slices so they can sell 1 song 10 times?)

If I didn't have the Audiophile Edition I know I would be using my MIDI sound modules for their higher resolution sound quality.  2013 was my first introduction to BNAB and in 2014, I upgraded to the Audiophile Edition.  I do use the up-sample function for rendering audio tracks.  The 24 bit 48k works wonderful with my DAW and the final mix is in HD audio, 24 bit 48k.  High resolution audio files do sound better.  When the mix is done, I compress it with FLAC which is a lossless audio file format.  It reduces the file size about 1/3, unzips the music in real time with the bandwidth of the original and can be expanded back into a wav file with no loss.

I have a special funds folder where I place my throw away change and by the end of the year use it for the next upgrade.  2020 was a major upgrade and 2021 was another giant step upward.  My albums are now available around the world.  I have1 fan in Ukraine...collusion so now I can never run for President!  Oh well, that's why I am a songwriter.

I do learn a lot from reading all these posts.  Thanks all!

On Friday, February 12, 2021, 02:05:30 AM MST, Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...> wrote:

You have a good point, and there is more than one right way to make music.

I tend to input everything live in 'real time' using various MIDI controllers, so I guess I'm all the human error I need (sometimes more than I need -- which means I haven't practiced the part enough <grin>)

On 2/10/2021 1:56 AM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
Bob, I overwhelmingly defer to your opinions, but I think you are being slightly harsh.

'Humanizing' and groove are not antithetical. They can be complimentary. 'Humanizing' randomization doesn't have have to be mindless.

A well done MIDI file can have a great groove with the drums and other tracks properly in their respective pockets. It can of course depend if those drums and instruments were played in or programmed.

With programmed files the note velocities and note lengths may be too exacting and repetetive. So you keep the note starts almost untouched with maybe a range of -3 to +10 ticks and a slightly larger range of maybe -5 to + 15 ticks for note ending and velocity. Your still will probably be more exacting than a human player but you'll have a better feel over all.

I think all tools and techniques have their place ... and any can be used inapproriately.

Bob "Notes" Norton • owner, Norton Music • http://www.nortonmusic.com
BiaB User Styles that will make your band 'Jump-Out-Of-The-Box'.