Re: Link to Cakewalk

Arthur Trinchera

Thank you Steve. Great point and I agree! I'll stick with Ableton,BIAB and Audacity. I want to get stuff done and not keep learning new programs!
Thanks again,
Arthur

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, 8:12 AM Steve Thomas <stevet@...> wrote:

And ProTools First is really just a demo program. It's severely limited, designed to get you to see how Protools works before you buy it.

The biggest cost of any DAW is the TIME you spend learning it.  Everyone likely has a different idea what that time entails, but I'd think spending 50 hours learning how to use the DAW of your choice is not out of the question (and still not MASTER it, just learn how to use it day in and day out).  So pick wisely, you really won't do that too many times.  The DAW you invest the time in upfront is likely what you'll use for quite some time.  So unless you really want to look at purchasing ProTools, I'd probably not look to deeply into ProTools First.

On 2/7/2021 11:19 AM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:
Thanks Steve. I guess Pro tools first is not compatible with Windows 10. I've installed it several times will my laptop and now with my brand new pc. It will install but crashes everytime before even getting to see the interface. Yesterday I read it's not yet compatible with 10. I'm letting go of it.
Arthur

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 5:43 PM Steve Thomas <stevet@...> wrote:

I've used ProTools before.  I did find it a bit easier to learn than Cakewalk.  And I have Ableton that came with my Scarlett too, but I never tried it.   DAWs in general have a fairly steep learning curve.  So for most of my general purpose sound recording and editing chores I've stayed with Audacity.  No, it's not a full DAW, but it does most of what I need and it is very easy to learn.

On 2/5/2021 5:31 PM, Arthur Trinchera wrote:
Do you use the free Pro Tools? I've tried to get it several times but got sound card errors every time I tried to install but that was on on my older cheap HP laptop. I just got a new beefy pc. Perhaps I should try again. You said you've tried many DAWS. Have you tried Ableton. How would it compare to Pro Tools? I have the lite version that came bundled with Scarlett 2i2.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 2:38 PM D F Tweedie via groups.io <bienpegaito=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've used all the DAWs you mention before ultimately settling on Pro Tools and Cubase.

I found Cakewalk's Sonar to be the most convoluted and difficult to learn and soon left for greener pastures. If your goal is to master it you'd be well served to buy some of the 10 Sonar tutorial offerings on Groove3 ... or take a subscription. Here's a link to one offering.

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:15:23 PM PST, Steve Thomas <stevet@...> wrote:

It's been my thought for years that Cakewalk is a DAW with capabilities on par with other top DAWs like ProTools (but not as popular), PreSonus, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, etc. But since it's free now, one might expect it to be simple to use and a bit less powerful, along the lines of Audacity.  But it's a full DAW, and the learning curve is steep.

Steve

On 2/5/2021 3:10 PM, Mr Dave wrote:
I downloaded and installed Cakewalk, but it doesn't seam to be very intuitive to use.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn the program?

Dave