Re: Soft synth TTS-1

D F Tweedie

David ...

I think to be accurate we have to make a distinction between VST and VSTi with respect to your statement "most VST and DXi plugins are self-contained ..."

Your statement is generally accurate with respect to VSTs, but again, there are significant exceptions such as convolution reverbs which often have huge sample libraries from which the draw their impulse responses.

However, many if not the majority of VSTis (the 'i' stands for instrument) require additional content files that are not self-contained in their dll. The primary exception are 'synth' VSTis which rely upon algorithms, but even many of these uses samples that are not contained within the dll. Spectrasonics' Omnisphere is such an example.

On Sunday, February 7, 2021, 3:34:30 PM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey@...> wrote:

For the TTS-1 with all of its sounds, it's not a very big .dll so I am
guessing that somehow there is a library of sounds which is part of the
package but not installed in the same folder with the TTS-1.dll file.
And I am guessing that the .dll is searching for those data files for
the actual sounds using some sort of regressive tree structure rather
than specific paths but that's just a wild guess.

It matters not -- it only works from the original installation folder so
somehow it's linked to other files within that installation folder.

I know that most VST and DXi plugins are self-contained or at least have
all their data within the same local folder but apparently that's not
the case this time.

But at least now we know that the original installation needs to be kept
intact.  Unless someone with deeper knowledge of these things can find
out more.

In any event, I am very grateful for all this discussion and the
followup messages because I had basically written off using the MIDI
styles in my private lessons, since they're all online and I share my
computer's audio with my students so I can play BIAB files and they come
through my students' computers for them to practice playing jazz and
improvising with.  Now that I've got TTS-1 working so nicely with BIAB,
I can use MIDI styles and don't have to search for substitute realstyles
before playing the songs for my students.

It's been a real eye-opener, Thanks everybody!
David

dhbailey@...