Re: Soft synth TTS-1

Michael Payne

Many thanks too you Ian

On 6 Feb 2021, at 12:50, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io <idgraham=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

´╗┐Thanks, David.

That sounds very much as if there is a deliberate spoiler in there
somewhere - my experience is that *.dll soundfonts are usually very
tolerant of being copied around, provided the computer recognises them.
i.e. Some need a specific installation, many don't.

Cheers

Ian G.

On 06/02/2021 12:33, David H. Bailey wrote:
On 2/5/2021 10:19 PM, IAN GRAHAM via groups.io wrote:
Can I confirm if I'm understanding this right ? The following summary
is partly what has already been said, and partly based on my own
experience, and what I've read online:

TTS-1 is a fairly elderly but quite respected GM softsynth. It
currently comes bundled with Bandcamp.

What this means is that there is a TTS-1.dll somewhere in the
Bandcamp package.

Can this, therefore, once found, be used independently of Bandcamp
i.e. imported into Biab directly, or made standalone with something
like Savihost or Nanohost ?
The location of the .dll file is C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared
DXi\TTS-1

Once Cakewalk is installed, I tried copying the TTS-1 folder to a
different hard drive, then renamed the folder it was inside of so that
BIAB wouldn't be able to find it in the old location. Then I had BIAB
search for new plugins. Apparently the TTS-1 synth only works when it
is in its original installation folder. There must be other files
that it looks for in specific folders relative to where it is
installed, so it has to remain within the Cakewalk installation.

But for most people it's not a big deal since hard-drives these days
are so cheap and large that installing Cakewalk and not using it other
than to have the TTS-1 soft-synth available for use in BIAB.

I can't say whether it could be used as a standalone in Savihost or
Nanohost, but apparently it can't be used at all if not in the
original installation location.