Re: Link to Cakewalk

D F Tweedie

Hi Arthur ...

Yes, I own the full version of Ableton ... but I haven't opened it (or upgraded) in about 5 years.  I also have Logic and Studio One full versions.

I rationalized getting them so that I could take project files from almost anyone to import into my DAW for mixing.

You've probably heard the old joke that a boat is really a hole in the water you throw money in. I think that could be my computer.

Every DAW has some strengths and some weaknesses. The best DAW is the one you actually learn to use. If money is an object then you have three cost-effective choices: RealBand; Bandlab's Cakewalk (Sonar); or, practically free, Reaper. The last one of these is the one I'd choose for the simple reason that it is constantly being developed and upgraded and has a fantastic user base continuously pushing the limits of what it can accomplish and sharing in a very active community.

If you are on a MAC you can't beat the price and comprehensiveness of Logic.

Among the 'big boys,' StudioOne is a rising star, developed by former development team members from Steinberg's Cubase and Nuendo including the code writer for the Virtual Studio Technology (VST) platform.

I can tell you the reasons I've settled on Pro Tools and Cubase. Pro Tools has been and remains the 'de facto' industry professional standard due to two historical factors and one 'best in class' feature. Digidesign and now Avid developed hardware mixing desks fully integrated with the DAW and also hardware incorporating near zero latency recording capability with their hardware interfaces. Early on the developed automation features integrated into their hardware and Pro Tools that are still unavailable in most competitors. But Pro Tools' premier feature in my view is the fact that all editing can be done in a single edit window (the basic scrolling track window in every DAW) with the use of clever keyboard shortcut features that changes how that window (or tracks there in) are treated. Nearly all other programs have a window for this and a window for that that must constantly be opened and  shut to accomplish basic functions.

Cubase is one such culprit, but it excels in it's MIDI programming functions, a great weakness of Pro Tools. MIDI programming from composition to fully integrating outboard hardware synths are a few of the outstanding and, in my opinion, 'best in class' features on Cubase.

Ableton is a slightly different beast in as much as it has unique compositional work style where one can store musical phrases in a channel/ column  and then set different combinations of them to play across the timeline. It is especially favored by DJs and Remixers as it perfectly lends to adding 'ear candy' to existing tracks. That said, it also records as well as any other DAW.

There's more I could comment upon, but I'm sure I've already said more than enough.

Pro Tools First is a limited teaser program that doesn't make sense to me unless you are seriously considering buying into Pro Tools.

YouTube is full of videos of features and reviews of these various DAWs, many of which offer time limited demos. I suggest you explore to try and find the ones that best fit with what you are hoping to do and then give the ones that seem most suitable a try.

And just to be comprehensive there's also Bitwig, Tracktion, Acid Pro, Fruity Loops, Maschine, MPC, Samplitude, Sequoia ... and the beat goes on.

DF

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 3:32:11 PM PST, Arthur Trinchera <a.trinchera@...> wrote:

Do you use the free Pro Tools? I've tried to get it several times but got sound card errors every time I tried to install but that was on on my older cheap HP laptop. I just got a new beefy pc. Perhaps I should try again. You said you've tried many DAWS. Have you tried Ableton. How would it compare to Pro Tools? I have the lite version that came bundled with Scarlett 2i2.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 2:38 PM D F Tweedie via groups.io <bienpegaito=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've used all the DAWs you mention before ultimately settling on Pro Tools and Cubase.

I found Cakewalk's Sonar to be the most convoluted and difficult to learn and soon left for greener pastures. If your goal is to master it you'd be well served to buy some of the 10 Sonar tutorial offerings on Groove3 ... or take a subscription. Here's a link to one offering.

On Friday, February 5, 2021, 1:15:23 PM PST, Steve Thomas <stevet@...> wrote:

It's been my thought for years that Cakewalk is a DAW with capabilities on par with other top DAWs like ProTools (but not as popular), PreSonus, Cubase, Reaper, Ableton, etc. But since it's free now, one might expect it to be simple to use and a bit less powerful, along the lines of Audacity.  But it's a full DAW, and the learning curve is steep.

Steve

On 2/5/2021 3:10 PM, Mr Dave wrote:
I downloaded and installed Cakewalk, but it doesn't seam to be very intuitive to use.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how to learn the program?

Dave