Re: Soft synths

D F Tweedie

@Hayward ... For what it's worth VSTi's (softsynths or virtual instruments) are agnostic on the Windows platforms. That is, it doesn't matter other than CPU power and available RAM what year/ edition of software you are using to host a softsynth. So any VSTi (Steinbergs 'Virtual Studio Technology instrument) softsynth will run on any program, PG Music or otherwise, that supports VST hosting. Today they virtually all do.

@David ... Steinberg's entry level and up versions of Cubase throw in Halion SE (Halion Special Edition), which includes a feature to automatically open in GM mode with full soundset. That is, if you import a MIDI file and instantiate Halion SE, it will load with the correct instruments per channel.

There is also an advanced, full version of Halion that sells separately. It has some additional functions and a very large collection of sounds beyond GM which are categorized in such a way as to very easily be auditioned in the case you might want something close to but more distinctive than the stock GM voice.

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021, 8:08:18 AM PST, Hayward Martin <haywardmartin@...> wrote:

I have been scanning the PGMUSIC BIAB forums an read about the Cakewalk TTS-1 synthesizer that comes with BIAB and integrates with it.   It’s not obvious (at least not to me).  This is BIAB 2021, don’t know that it’s applicable to earlier versions.

I have placed a OneDrive link below, just incase my screenshots don’t show up below, in this email…

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asf_MVrLFgfY0PEyFxMv14hu27YUIg?e=NblnSa

Below (hopefully) there’s a screenshot of MIDI Driver Tab in the Options/Preferences pull down menu.   This is  how I have my settings setup…

Now, when I go to the Mixer, Under the the PLUG-Ins Tab you can see “Default-Synth” as the first plug-in listed for each MIDI track.   If you RIGHT-CLICK on “Default-Synth”, the TTS-1 Mixer will show up.  For me, this sound incredibly better that what I’ve been dealing with previously.

Hope this helps someone!

Hayward