Re: Real Tracks #WindowsUsers #BiaBPrevious

D F Tweedie

David ...

I'll take you up on your challenge!

Here's how to do it ... assuming the RealTrack elements are unencrypted either as WMA or Wav files.

Laborious, but technically easy.

You need a high-end pitch editor such as Celemony's Melodyne. That program can identify the pitch/ key of an audio sample with very high accuracy and has absolute accuracy on a note by note basis.

It can also correct to perfect pitch at 440 hz concert or to whatever other standard such as 432 hz if you prefer.

Now take those three or four identical passages from a RealTrack and identify their actual key (if it is not somehow already tagged in the file name.) For purposes of explanation lets say that the formula is C (or C minor, etc.), D#, F#, and A using 4 of the 12 possible keys a passage could be recorded in.

So if the opening bars in your song were in those keys, not a problem. Just pick the congruent one. But it the key was B, just pick the closest one, in this example C and put it in Melodyne and shift it down to B.

This or course would be laborious to have to stitch a song together section by section. But conceptually it would be easy to do and provide results equal to what BIAB outputs for RealTracks.

As a matter of fact, I'd bet the farm that this is exactly how real tracks work internally. If the sample isn't already in the correct key for the bars of the song, it has a pitch shifting algorithm that takes into account the requested key and selects the sample closest to shift from up or down.

DF Tweedie

On Thursday, December 3, 2020, 3:13:26 AM PST, David H. Bailey <dhbailey52@...> wrote:

On 12/2/2020 8:52 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
> I think this is technically true ... but then they wouldn't follow the
> key changes of  a song. I think it is like a sampler where they have 3
> or 4 identical passages spread out at different key signatures and then
> use the software to fill in the missing keys between the 'sample'
> passages' keys.

[snip]

Knowing as little as I do about computer programming these days (I know
enough to incorrectly think that something might be easy to program when
it's actually difficult or incorreclty think that something might be
difficult to program when an experienced programmer can accomplish it in
a few minutes) my mind always overheats and smoke starts pouring out my
ears when I try to wrap my head around the magic that PGMusic has
accomplished with how it handles RealTracks.

Yes, the realtracks are stored as wma files but how they're manipulated
to come together in the correct keys with such great results is truly
magical.

I was originally a huge doubter of the possibilities of realtracks,
preferring the relative simplicity and clarity of the midi styles.  But
with all the work PGMusic has done with them, improving the algorithms
and the sound quality of the realinstruments over the years, I'm slowly
converting many of my BIAB file to realtracks.

But I doubt that anybody could make sense of them in a sequencer all on
their own.  Then again, I've doubted many thing which have become
reality, so have fun experimenting.