Re: Real Tracks #WindowsUsers #BiaBPrevious

David H. Bailey

On 12/2/2020 8:52 PM, D F Tweedie via groups.io wrote:
I think this is technically true ... but then they wouldn't follow the key changes of  a song. I think it is like a sampler where they have 3 or 4 identical passages spread out at different key signatures and then use the software to fill in the missing keys between the 'sample' passages' keys.
[snip]

Knowing as little as I do about computer programming these days (I know enough to incorrectly think that something might be easy to program when it's actually difficult or incorreclty think that something might be difficult to program when an experienced programmer can accomplish it in a few minutes) my mind always overheats and smoke starts pouring out my ears when I try to wrap my head around the magic that PGMusic has accomplished with how it handles RealTracks.

Yes, the realtracks are stored as wma files but how they're manipulated to come together in the correct keys with such great results is truly magical.

I was originally a huge doubter of the possibilities of realtracks, preferring the relative simplicity and clarity of the midi styles. But with all the work PGMusic has done with them, improving the algorithms and the sound quality of the realinstruments over the years, I'm slowly converting many of my BIAB file to realtracks.

But I doubt that anybody could make sense of them in a sequencer all on their own. Then again, I've doubted many thing which have become reality, so have fun experimenting.