Re: Re Scaler

D F Tweedie

Ian ... AFIK that is not the case. Programs 'progressing' to VSTi plugin status are the exception.

Virtual Studio Technology was developed by Steinberg about 20 years ago. It provided a development kit for initially development of audio and MIDI plugins for use in a DAW. I believe subsequently the VST instrument plugins were developed. Initially these were things like softsynths, i.e.,  audio triggered by MIDI, and samplers like Kontakt.

Somewhere along this timeline ... VST is now at v.3 with v.2.4 still extant ... VST instruments with sequencing capability came along as VSTi MIDI instruments. Some of these plugins, like RapidComposer were developed from free standing like named programs, as is BIAB VSTi, but the majority, including to the best of my knowledge Scaler, were purpose built as VSTi for plugin use in a DAW.

Not sure if this is a very clear exposition nor entirely historically accurate, but this is my understanding from following these developments over the past 15 years or so.

DF

On Saturday, December 8, 2018, 9:49:45 AM PST, Ian Graham idgraham@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Thanks very much, DFT. I will look at it.

It has occurred to me since first posting that many plug-ins have 'application ancestry' - as indeed in the case of the Biab plugin we've been hearing about in the past few days? Does anyone know if this is/was the case with Scaler ?

Ian G.

On 08/12/2018 17:15, D F Tweedie bienpegaito@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Ian, you might take a look at this. It is not actually a plugin per se, so a DAW isn't necessary. You are still left with the issue of capturing the output if you want to save/ tweak it ... but you presumably could record it into a MIDI program.

I've used it ... but now prefer Scaler.

DF

On Saturday, December 8, 2018, 12:55:08 AM PST, Ian Graham idgraham@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:

Hallo, all

I picked up on an earlier reference to Scaler, and looked it up online.

It looks like a terrific tool, at a good price, and certainly plays to
certain interests I'm following at the moment.

My hesitation is that I don't use a DAW as such, so would have to get
into that, in order to use Scaler, if I understand right......A rather
intimidating prospect.

Is there anything similar that would run as an independent application ?

Many thanks

Ian G

Wales UK