Re: Runaway Mix 1

Bob 'Notes' Norton <norton@...>

On 6/16/2018 11:24 PM, jmings2003@... [Band-in-a-Box] wrote:
<...snip...>Del Shannon.  His was a sad story at the end. For some reason I have been drawn to this tune since it came out 60 years ago.
It's a great pop song and it's been covered by quite a few other artists.
<...> thanks again for the style and for getting me to consider MIDI again in more detail.
Thanks for using and enjoying the style. I've toyed with the Real Tracks, but I always go back to MIDI. There is just so much more I can do with MIDI. The RTs to me are like listening to what someone else played but with MIDI I can edit what someone else played, add, subtract, rearrange, change, and actually be involved in the music, rather than a passive listener.
If one just listens to the files with computer parts playing, one is missing a lot. Your files come to life with good virtual instruments...
MIDI is a function of the synth (software or hardware) that plays the file. I have some MIDI sounds that to a trained ear are indistinguishable from a recorded version of that instrument, I have some not so good, and I have some that will do things the physical instrument will not do. Each voice is a tool, and it's about picking the right tool for the song.
I also had gotten used to waiting for Real Track files to generate at each little change in the composition. I have wasted a thousand hours at least. MIDI is so fast. I probably am going back to the way i used to work: MIDI only to write, then construct from various players.
I agree 100%.

I make backing tracks for my duo. I can make in a half day a track that would take over a week to do if I had to do it with audio files, either archived or recorded by myself. Plus with MIDI I have a variety of instruments available to me, dozens of guitars from Strats to Teles to Les Pauls to many generic ones plus instruments I cannot play like violin, trumpet, french horn, cello.

I do BIAB nearly every day for practicing and composing, but I don't consider myself an expert at all.
We are all students. No matter how much about music you learn, the more you realize you need to know more.
<...>
I believe that Art happens after long study of Craft.
I think if you have the art in you, it can't come out to it's potential until you and fluent with the craft. There are exceptions to that rule of course, but there are exceptions to most.
<...> One can never play All the Things You Are too often.
Check out Mark Murphy with the Muse All-Stars (featuring Richie Cole on alto sax). It's one of my favorite versions. I wish I could sing jazz like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrb5U7H_EA and Richie rips on the sax solo. The rest of the band is solid and supporting. This is a poor recording, but it shows the genius. I forget who did the trombone solo, the CD is somewhere in my collection.
<...>After 60 years of playing I am still really enjoying making music.
I've been playing that long myself, and I actually enjoy it more and more as I learn new ways to express myself.
<...>That is who i am, a guitarist.
I could tell. You sound 'one with the instrument'.

One thing everyone should remember, they call it playing music, and the root word is PLAY. Like any game, it takes practice to play it well, but when you are doing it, you gotta have fun, or else IMHO you aren't doing it right.

Keep on keeping on.

Notes
norton@...
Norton Music - http://www.nortonmusic.com