Re: audio and BIAB

james mings

DF:
"One big advantage of an interface in addition to dedicated drivers permitting lower buffer sizes is that many have a feature that lets you hear your audio back after your preamp section but before it is processed by the computer/ program, thereby reducing latency to insignificant amounts.

Coming back to your question, ASIO is almost always the preferred device with any program that can utilize it.

The buffer size is tied to the audio driver. When you change buffer size "in a program," you are not really changing it in the program. More precisely, you are changing it 'through the program' accessing the driver's software applet. So yes, if it is changed it is changed for all applications until the next time you change it regardless of which programs you load in the meantime.

On the other hand changing a device's buffer size, as opposed to changing devices, is trivial. Even professional studios do it regularly when the alternate between recording (lowest buffer size available) and mixing (buffer size as large as you need to lower CPU demand on hungry plugins). The glitching sounds you hear are almost always the result of the buffer emptying faster than the CPU can process the audio.

And yes, the best practice is to change your buffer size depending upon what you are doing.

You probably notice the lag in BIAB when 'rendering' new RealTracks. However, once rendered, playback is relatively seamless and should proceed at the lowest buffer setting you can manage for recording purposes.

If BIAB isn't up to the task you can always export the RealTrack audio and import it into Logic and record in that program. For most purposes I can think of that would be superior to recording in BIAB.

In general it is plugins and especially virtual instruments (VSTIs) that place large demand on CPU and require large buffer size. Playing back pre-recorded audio and recording one input at a time should work fine under the lowest buffer setting your audio device permits.

Good luck.

DF"

That's so helpful, DF.  I really appreciate the time and effort it took to help me. And, you put it in just the right words. iou3!

PS:
If BIAB isn't up to the task you can always export the RealTrack audio and import it into Logic and record in that program. For most purposes I can think of that would be superior to recording in BIAB.

Of course. The thing is that when i write with BIAB I like to play on guitar so I can hear if certain moves sound and play naturally. I might catch something fresh. Once i get the form as good as I can I go to Logic or Reaper. I like real Tracks a lot, but I also love midi and like to have that as well.
Thanks again

Jim